Ministry for Rural Affairs (Sweden)
|Landsbygdsdepartementet and Jordbruksdepartementet|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Ministry for Rural Affairs (Swedish: Landsbygdsdepartementet), also known as the Ministry of Agriculture (Swedish: Jordbruksdepartementet), was a ministry within the government of Sweden. The Ministry was dissolved in 2015, when rural affairs was transferred to the Ministry of Enterprise.
Areas of responsibility have included agriculture and environmental issues relating to agriculture, fishery, reindeer husbandry, Sami affairs, horticulture, animal welfare, foodstuffs, hunting and game management, as well as higher education and research in the field of agricultural sciences.
The ministry was formed in 1900 as the first new ministry after the departemental reform of 1840. Originally named Ministry of Agriculture (Swedish: Jordbruksdepartementet), it changed its name to the Ministry for Rural Affairs on January 1, 2011. The last Head of the Ministry was the Minister for Rural Affairs, Social Democratic MP Sven-Erik Bucht.
At the time of its closure, the Ministry was principal for the following government agencies:
- Swedish National Board of Agriculture, or Jordbruksverket. (Official site) Field of operations: agriculture, horticulture and reindeer husbandry.
- Swedish National Food Administration, or Livsmedelsverket. (Official site) Field of operations: Ensure quality of food is maintained.
- Swedish National Board of Fisheries, or Fiskeriverket. (Official site) Field of operations: fishery.
- Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, or Sveriges Lantbruksuniveristet. (Official site) Field of operations: universities, research.
- Swedish National Veterinary Institute, or Statens Veterinärmedicinska Anstalt (SVA). (Official site) Field of operations: diagnoisis and combating contagious animal diseases - research and prevention.
- Swedish Veterinary Disciplinary Board, or Veterinära ansvarsnämnden. (Official site) Field of operations: examines matters concerning disciplinary responsibility for veterinary surgeons and also the revoking of veterinary licences.
- Sami Parliament, or Sametinget. (Official site) Field of operations: The Sami Parliament is both a government agency and an elected parliament whose purpose is to promote the Sami culture.
- Sami Foundation Board, or Styrelsen för samefonden. Field of operations: the board's funds are to be used to promote reindeer husbandry, Sami culture and Sami organisations.
- "Jordbruksdepartementet". Nationalencyklopedin (in Swedish). Retrieved 13 November 2010. (subscription required)
- "The ministers' areas of responsibility". The Government of Sweden. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Namnbytet ska stärka landsbygdspolitiken" (in Swedish). Lantbrukets Affärer. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Landsbygdsdepartementet". Samer.se. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "News". The Government of Sweden. Archived from the original on 2012-03-29.