Ministry of Coal (India)
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Headquarters||Ministry of Coal
Dr Rajendra Prasad Rd
The Ministry of Coal is charged with exploration of coal and lignite reserves in India, production, supply, distribution and price of coal through the government-owned corporations Coal India Limited and its subsidiaries, as well as Neyveli Lignite Corporation. The Ministry of Coal also manages the Union Government's 49 percent equity participation in Singareni Collieries Company, a public sector undertaking that is a joint venture with Andhra Pradesh government.
Government of Andhra Pradesh holds 51% equity and Government of India holds 49 % equity.
Companies And Agencies Under Administrative Control
- Coal India and Its subsidiaries
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation
- Singareni Collieries Company
- Coal Mines Provident Fund Organisation (CMPFO)
- Coal Mines Welfare Organisation.
- Commissioner Of Payments
Functions And Responsibilities
The Ministry of Coal is responsible for development and exploitation of coal and lignite reserves in India. The subjects allocated to the Ministry which include attached and sub-ordinate or other organisations including PSUs concerned with their subjects under the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961, as amended from time to time, are as follows:
- Exploration and development of coking coal and non-coking coal and lignite deposits in India.
- All matters relating to production, supply, distribution and prices of coal.
- Development and operation of coal washeries other than those for which Department of Steel (ISPAT Vibhag) is responsible.
- Low Temperature carbonisation of coal and production of synthetic oil from coal.
- Administration of the Coal Mines (Conservation and Development) Act, 1974 (28 of 1974).
- The Coal Mines Provident Fund Organisation.
- The Coal Mines Welfare Organisation.
- Administration of the Coal Mines Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provision Act, 1948 (46 of 1948).
- Administration of the Coal Mines Labour Welfare Fund Act, 1947 (32 of 1947).
- Rules under the Mines Act, 1952 (32 of 1952) for the levy and collection of duty of excise on coke and coal produced and dispatched from mines and administration of rescue fund.
Administration of the Coal Bearing Areas (Acquisition and Development) Act, 1957 (20 of 1957).
- "Official Website Ministry of Coal(India)". Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Contact Us". Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "CIL". Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "SCCL". Retrieved 17 October 2013.