Ministry of Defence (Nigeria)
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Article needs better organization, structure, and references (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
It consists of the defence services headquarters, the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Air Force, the Nigerian Navy, and other defence agencies and departments. The current Minister of Defence is Mansur Dan Ali.
Its mission is "To provide administrative and support services, timely and effective to enable the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to build and maintain a modern, compact, strong, professional, mission-capable and mission-ready armed forces for the defence of national territory, maritime interest, airspace and the protection and defence of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and to contribute to peace-making and peace-keeping duties worldwide under sub-regional and global organizations of which Nigeria is a member".
The aims and objectives of the Ministry of Defence which are derived from the National Defence Policy are as follows:
- Maintaining men of the Nigerian Armed Forces in a state of combat readiness on land, sea and air.
- Maintaining a proper balance in arms and men to meet the needs of internal and external security;
- Making provision for the welfare of the men of the Armed Forces in terms of training, accommodation, health care and other benefits aimed at boosting their morale.
- Enhancing the capability and sophistication of the country’s Defence Industries in order to reduce the country's dependence on foreign sources of supply.
- Ensuring security in the African continent by the promotion of a collective defence system through bilateral, sub-regional and continental co-operation to ward off external aggression and to attain the African objective of the national foreign policy; and
- Contributing towards peace and stability in the world as a whole through the United Nations Organisation (UNO), African Union (AU) and Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
- Joint Services
- Army Affairs
- Navy Affairs
- Air Force Affairs
- Human Resources Management
- Finance and Accounts
Other Defence Agencies and Organisations
- Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria (DICON)
- Directorate of Military Pensions (DMP)
- Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Kaduna-Kaduna State.
- Nigerian Defence Intelligence Agency
- Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC) Jaji.
- Nigerian Armed Forces Resettlement Centre, Oshodi.
List of ministers
|Akanbi Oniyangi||1981 to 1983|
|Domkat Bali||1984 to 1990|
|Thomas I. Aguiyi-Ironsi||2006–2007|
|Haliru Mohammed Bello||2011 July–2012 June|
|Olusola Obada||2012 July–2013 September|
|Aliyu Mohammed Gusau||March 2014-May 2015|
|Mansur Mohammed Dan Ali||October 2015-May 2019|