Ministry of Defence (Bangladesh)
|Bengali: প্রতিরক্ষা মন্ত্রণালয়|
|Formed||14 April 1971|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Bangladesh|
|Headquarters||Ganobhabon Complex, Shere Bangla Nagar, Dhaka |
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) (Bengali: প্রতিরক্ষা মন্ত্রণালয়; Protirakha Montronaloya) is a Bangladeshi government ministry. The MoD is headed by the Minister of Defence, a civilian and member of cabinet; the post is usually held by the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, who also serves as the President's second-in-command of the military. The MoD exercises supreme command authority over the Bangladesh Armed Forces.
Parliament is constitutionally responsible for working with the president and the service chiefs in ensuring the nation's defence. In practice, however, members of Parliament have never played a significant role in either national defence planning or defence budgeting, the Defence Secretary does.
Agencies and Departments under the Ministry of Defence
The list of agencies and departments under the Ministry of Defence of Bangladesh are below:
- Director Generals of Medical Services (DGMS)
- National Defence College (NDC)
- Defence Services Command and Staff College (DSCSC)
- Military Institute of Science and Technology (MIST)
- Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP)
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)
- Armed Forces Medical Institute (AFMI)
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP)
- Bangladesh Ordnance Factories (BOF)
- Inter Services Selection Board (ISSB)
- Bangladesh Armed Services Board (BASB)
- Directorate General of Defence Purchase (DGDP)
- Directorate General of Forces Intelligence (DGFI)
- Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR)
- Governing Bodies of Cadet Colleges
Other Agencies and Departments
- Bangladesh National Cadet Corps
- Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD)
- Space Research and Remote Sensing Organization (SPARRSO)
- Survey of Bangladesh (SOB)
- Department of Military Lands & Cantonments
- Department of Cipher
- Controller General of Defence Finance
- Office of Chief Administrative Officer
- Ministry of Defence Constabulary
Role and Working
The functions of the MoD are:
- Defence of Bangladesh.
- Defence Services of Bangladesh and Armed Forces attached to or operating with any of the Armed Forces of Bangladesh excluding planning, co-ordination and arrangement of mobilisation of the defence services on declaration of national emergency/war and co-ordination and control of the activities of the defence services when deployed in aid of civil administration.
- Army, Naval and Air Force Works
- Production of cypher documents
- Bangladesh Ordnance Factories (Produce Ammunition and Arms for Bangladesh Army)
- International Red Cross and Geneva Conventions in so far as these affect belligerents
- Gallantry awards and decorations in respect of forces under its control
- Military Lands and Cantonments
- Meteorological Observations
- Pardons, reprieves and respites, etc., of all personnel belonging to armed forces
- National Services and Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (BNCC)
- Matters relating to Cadet Colleges
- Matters relating to Space Research and Remote Sensing Organisation (SPARRSO)
- Civil Services paid from Defence Estimates
- Hydrographic Surveys and preparation of navigational charts (excluding Hydrographic surveys in the inland water of Bangladesh and preparation of charts for inland navigation)
- Survey of Bangladesh
- Budget legal and statutory matters of the Armed Forces
- Secretarial administration including financial matters
- Administration and control of subordinate offices and organisations under this ministry
- Liaison with International Organisations and matters relating to treaties and agreements with other countries and world bodies relating to subject allotted to this ministry
- All laws on subjects allotted to this ministry
- Inquires and statistics on any of the subjects allotted to this ministry.
- Fees in respect of any of the subjects allotted to this ministry except fees taken in courts
- http://www.cabinet.gov.bd/site/page/55bcf4d6-dd85-45c1-94b6-bcb06e4b1b12 List of Ministries and Divisions
- Heitzman, James; Worden, Robert, eds. (1989). "Organization of the Armed Forces". Bangladesh: A Country Study. Washington, D.C.: Federal Research Division, Library of Congress. p. 218.
- "About Us". Inter-Service Public Relations Directorate. Archived from the original on 2015-06-19.
- প্রতিরক্ষা মন্ত্রণালয়ের কার্যাবলি [The Functions of the Ministry of Defence]. Ministry of Defence (in Bengali).