Ministry of Defence (Singapore)
|Formed||11 August 1970|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
|Headquarters||MINDEF Building, Gombak Drive, Singapore
|Annual budget||11.46 billion SGD (actual) (2010)|
The Ministry of Defence (Abbreviation: MINDEF; Malay: Kementerian Pertahanan; Simplified Chinese: 新加坡国防部; Tamil: தற்காப்பு அமைச்சு) is a ministry of the Government of Singapore entrusted with overseeing the national defence needs of the Republic of Singapore. It is the headquarters of the Singapore Armed Forces. It has a policy of Total Defence which consists of Military Defence, Civil Defence, Economic Defence, Social Defence and Psychological Defence.
The SAF's declared mission statement is to "enhance Singapore's peace and security through deterrence and diplomacy, and should these fail, to secure a swift and decisive victory over the aggressor."
The aim of MINDEF's defence policy is to ensure that Singapore enjoys peace and stability, and that Singapore's sovereignty and territorial integrity are protected. Hence, diplomacy and deterrence form the twin pillars of defence. MINDEF develops and maintains good relations with other countries through diplomacy. These diplomatic efforts are wide-ranging and span many fields, not just in defence. At the same time, deterrence is presented by contributing to regional resilience and through the concept of Total Defence.
Defending Singapore In The 21st Century states that two key thrusts in the coming years will be to:
- Strengthen dialogue, confidence-building and co-operation in the region and beyond.
As Singapore's neighbouring nations continue to evolve, they recognise the value of efforts to promote confidence-building, co-operation and dialogue on issues of common security concern. MINDEF thus develops extensive links with armed forces in the region and beyond. In addition, the SAF can also aim to help promote greater understanding and trust among regional and extra-regional armed forces by leveraging on these links to help strengthen bilateral and multilateral defence co-operation and dialogue, and participating in confidence-building efforts.
- Strengthen Total Defence.
In light of a new security environment, Singapore faces a diverse range of new and unconventional threats. To tackle these challenges, all five tenets of Total Defence will thus be strengthened. The SAF will continue to maintain its conventional capabilities to ensure that the military component of Total Defence remains strong. At the same time, it will work more closely with other government agencies to develop an effective defence against new security challenges, especially the non-traditional threats that may arise.
Departments & divisions
- Centre for Strategic Infocomm Technologies
- Defence Management Group
- Defence Psychology Department
- Defence Finance Organisation
- D'eXecutive Services
- Legal Services
- Manpower Division
- MINDEF Scholarship Centre
- SAF Counselling Centre
- Defence Policy Group
- Defence Policy Office
- Defence Media Centre
- Military Security Department (MSD)
- MINDEF Public Affairs (PAFF)
- NEXUS (Central National Education Office)
- Public Communications Dept
- Defence Technology and Resources Office
- Civil Resources Authority
- Special Project Office
- MINDEF Chief Information Officer Office
- MINDEF Tele-Services
- MINDEF/SAF Manpower Centres
- SAF Formations
- Singapore Armed Forces
- Foreign Military Liaison Branch
- Headquarters Medical Corps
- Joint Intelligence Directorate
- Joint Logistics Department
- Joint Manpower Department
- Joint Operations and Planning Directorate
- General Staff (Operations)
- Republic of Singapore Air Force Headquarters
- Republic of Singapore Navy Headquarters
- SAFTI Military Institute Headquarters
- Singapore Army Headquarters
- Training Schools
- Basic Military Training Centre School 1 (BMTC)
- Basic Military Training Centre School 2 (BMTC)
- Basic Military Training Centre School 3 (BMTC)
- Basic Military Training Centre School 4 (BMTC)
- Basic Military Training (Vocational) (BMTV)
- Officer Cadet School (Singapore) (OCS)
- Specialist Cadet School (SCS)
- Security and Intelligence Division (SID)
- "Head J: Ministry of Defence" (PDF). Budget 2010: Revenue and Expenditure Estimates. Ministry of Finance. 2007-03-31. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- "About Us: Mission". Ministry of Defence (Singapore).
- MOHAMAD SALLEH, NUR ASYIQIN. "ISIS threat has grown, says DPM Teo". SPH Digital News. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "CMPB to move to Upper Bukit Timah". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- Chow, Jermyn. "New CMPB will be part of a mega-complex which will offer servicemen much more". SPH Digital News. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ministry of Defence (Singapore).|