Ministry of Defense (Argentina)
|Ministerio de Defensa|
Libertador Building, headquarters of the Ministry.
|Annual budget||$ 10.000.000.000 (2014)|
|Parent department||Government of Argentina|
The Ministry of Defense of Argentina is a ministry of the national executive power that deals with everything related to the country's national defense. It currently works at the Libertador Building, at Paseo Colón 250, Buenos Aires.
As of 10 December 2019 the minister of Defense is Agustín Rossi.
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Traditionally the minister of Defense, as the Joint chiefs of Staff (Spanish: Estado Mayor Conjunto) which traces back its origin to 1948 had a minor role in all armed forces activities, relegating key decisions to the respectives chiefs of staff.
A major change came into effect on 12 June 2006 when President Néstor Kirchner brought into effect the Defense Law, which had been passed in 1988 as a means to modernize the doctrine of the armed forces and define their role, although successive governments had failed to put it into effect.
The law states that the armed forces will only be used against foreign aggression, and reduces the powers of the heads of the armed services, centralizing whole operational and acquisitions decisions under the authority of the minister of Defense through the Armed Forces Joint General Staff emphasizing Jointness 
- Estado Mayor Conjunto de las Fuerzas Armadas (EMC): Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Armed Forces
- Secretaría de Estrategia y Asuntos Militares: Strategy and Military Affairs Secretary
- Secretaría de Planeamiento: Planning Secretary
- Secretaría de Asuntos Internacionales de la Defensa: Defense Foreign Affairs Secretary
- Dirección Nacional de Inteligencia Estratégica Militar: National Directory for Military Intelligence
- Dirección Nacional de Derechos Humanos y el Derecho Internacional Humanitario: National Directory for Human Rights
- CITEDEF (former CITEFA)
- Industrial Complex: (FMA, Fabricaciones Militares, Tandanor/Domecq Garcia)
The 2014 military budget is US$10.000.000.000.