Ministry of Ecological Transition (France)
|Ministère de la Transition écologique|
|Formed||6 July 2020|
|Jurisdiction||Government of France|
|Headquarters||Hôtel de Roquelaure|
246 Boulevard Saint-Germain
The Ministry of Ecological Transition (French: Ministère de la Transition écologique), commonly just referred to as Ministry of Ecology, is a department of the Government of France. It is responsible for preparing and implementing the government's policy in the fields of sustainable development, climate, energy transition and biodiversity. Barbara Pompili was appointed Minister of Ecological Transition on 6 July 2020 under Prime Minister Jean Castex.
On 8 January 1971, under President Georges Pompidou, the Ministry of the Environment (Ministère de l'Environnement) was created as a ministry subordinate to the Prime Minister of France. The first Minister of the Environment was Robert Poujade. From 1974 to 1977, the position was renamed Minister of Quality of Life; in 1978 it became Minister of the Environment and Way of Life. Sustainable development was added in 2002.
The ministry's administration is headquartered in Tour Sequoia in La Grande Arche of La Défense. The cabinet of the minister is within the Hôtel de Roquelaure, Boulevard Saint-Germain, Paris.
The ministry is responsible for the country's environmental policy (preservation of biodiversity, Climate Kyoto Protocol application, environmental control of industries), transportation (air, road, railway and sea regulation departments), national parks and housing policy. The ministry distributes funds to research agencies or councils. As of 2017, the ministry is also responsible for energy policy.
The Minister delegate of Transport, currently Jean-Baptiste Djebbari, is in charge of transport policy.
The Minister delegate of Housing, currently Emmanuelle Wargon, is in charge of housing policy.
The Secretary of State in charge of Biodiversity, currently Bérangère Abba, is in charge of biodiversity policy.
- Bureau of Enquiry and Analysis for Civil Aviation Safety (BEA)
- Directorate General for Civil Aviation (DGAC)
- French Office for Biodiversity (OFC)
- 1971 : Ministry of the Protection of Nature and of the Environment (Ministère de la Protection de la nature et de l'environnement)
- 2007 : Ministry of Ecology and Sustainable Development (Ministère de l'Écologie et du Développement durable)
- 2012 : Ministry of the Environment, Sustainable Development and Energy (Ministère de l'Écologie, du Développement durable et de l'Énergie)
- 2016 : Ministry of the Environment, Energy and the Sea (Ministère de l'Environnement, de l'Énergie et de la Mer)
- 2017 : Ministry of Ecological and Solidarity Transition (Ministère de la Transition écologique et solidaire)
- 2020 : Ministry of Ecological Transition (Ministère de la Transition écologique)
Notes and references
- ^ a b c d "Composition du Gouvernement". Gouvernement.fr (in French). 2018-03-20.
- ^ "Qui sont les ministres du gouvernement Castex ?". Le Monde.fr. 2020-07-06.
- ^ "Ministry for Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy (MEDDE)". Archived from the original on 18 December 2012.
- ^ Geert De Clercq, Benjamin Mallet (17 May 2017). "Green activist Hulot named French ecology minister, EDF stock slumps". Reuters. Retrieved 7 February 2018.
Hulot's job title, "minister of ecology and solidarity", does not mention energy, but government sources told Reuters he will be responsible for energy matters.
- ^ Report Incident on 2 May 2009 on approach to Antalya (Turkey) to the Boeing 737-300 registered F-GFUF operated by Europe Airpost Archived 8 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine." Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses pour la Sécurité de l'Aviation Civile. 1. Retrieved on 26 May 2011. "Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses pour la sécurité de l'aviation civile – Ministère de l'Écologie, du Développement durable, des Transports et du Logement"
- ^ "Directorate General for Energy and Climate Archived 2012-03-13 at the Wayback Machine." Ministry of Ecology, Energy, Sustainable Development and Sea. 15 (15/16). Retrieved on 6 March 2011.
- Ministère de l'Écologie, de l'Énergie, du Développement durable et de la Mer (in French)
- "Organisation Chart." (in English)
- Composition of the Government - official website (in English)
- Ministry of Country Planning and Environment (in English) (Archive)
- Ministry for Ecology, Sustainable Development and Spatial Planning (Archive) (in French)