Ministry of Education and Research (Sweden)
(Redirected from Ministry of Education, Research and Culture (Sweden))
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Before 1968 the ministry was called the Ministry of Ecclesiastical Affairs.
The ministry offices are located at Drottninggatan 16 in central Stockholm.
Areas of responsibility
- Education and research
- Gender equality
- Policy for civil society
- Youth policy
The Ministry of Education and Research is principal to the following government agencies:
Schools, children and youth
- Swedish National Agency for Education, or Skolverket. Field of operation: work actively to ensure that national objectives for childcare and the school system are achieved. In order to gain insight into the various activities and to contribute to development, the National Agency for Education carries out follow-ups, evaluation, development, research and supervisory work.
- The Swedish Agency for Youth and Civil Society, or Myndigheten för ungdoms- och civilsamhällesfrågor. Works to ensure that young people have access to influence and welfare, and support the government in issues relating to civil society policy.
- Swedish National Agency for Education, or Skolverket. Field of operation: Work actively to ensure that national objectives for adult education are achieved. In order to gain insight into the various activities and to contribute to development, the National Agency for Education carries out follow-ups, evaluation, development, research and supervisory work.
- The Universities in Sweden. Field of operation: main duty is to organise higher education based on a scientific or artistic orientation and on proven experience and research, artistic and other development work.
- Swedish Net University Agency, or Myndigheten för Sveriges Nätuniversitet. Field of operation: The Swedish Net University Agency is responsible for the Swedish Net University, a coordination project involving IT supported higher education distance learning courses and programmes given by universities and university colleges in Sweden.
- Swedish Council for Higher Education, or Universitets- och högskolerådet (UHR)Primarily assigned to manage admissions to Swedish universities and university colleges, applications and development of the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test.
Financial study support
- Swedish National Board of Student Aid, or Centrala studiestödsnämnden (CSN). Field of operation: Administration of all matters regarding study support
- Swedish Institute of Computer Science, or SICS. Field of operation: to contribute to the competitive strength of industry by conducting advanced research in strategic areas of computer science, and to actively promote the use of new research ideas and results in industry and in society at large.
- Swedish Institute of Space Physics, or Institutet för rymdfysik. Field of operation: a governmental research institute. The primary task is to carry out basic research, education, and associated observatory activities in space physics.
- The Royal Library, or Kungliga biblioteket (KB). Field of operation: As the National Library, the Royal Library collects, describes, preserves and makes available all Swedish printed materials, and publications with Swedish associations published in other countries. The Royal Library is a central library authority with responsibility for coordinating Sweden's research libraries and for the Library Information System, LIBRIS.
- Swedish Polar Research Secretariat, or Polarforskningssekretariatet. Field of operation: to promote and co-ordinate Swedish Polar research. Follow and plan research and development and to organise and lead expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic regions.
- Swedish National Archive of Recorded Sound and Moving Images, or Statens ljud- och bildarkiv (SLAB). Field of operation: Archive of recorded sound and moving images.
- Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research, or Stiftelsen Strategisk Forskning. Field of operation: promotes a broad use of IT in society, and supports research at Sweden's university colleges and new universities.
- Swedish Research Council, or Vetenskapsrådsrådet. Field of operation: support basic, top-quality research, to ensure that Sweden is a leading research nation.
- Ministry of Education and Research, official website (in English)
- Utbildningsdepartementet, official website (in Swedish)