Ministry of Employment (Sweden)
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The ministry offices are located at Jakobsgatan 26 in central Stockholm.
The Ministry of Employment was established in 1974, when the Ministry of the Interior (Swedish: Inrikesdepartementet) was split into two new ministries. The Ministry of Employment assumed responsibility for labour market, labour protection and immigration issues. Housing policies were transferred to a new Ministry of Housing (Swedish: Bostadsdepartementet).
On January 1, 2007, the ministry was reinstituted after a decision by the new government that took office on October 6, 2006.
Areas of responsibility
- Labour market policy
- Working life
- Discrimination issues
- Human rights
- Swedish Citizenship
- National minorities
The ministry is headed by the Minister for Employment, Ylva Johansson (S). The state secretary, Erik Nilsson, rank second to the minister in directing the day-to-day business of the ministry. Furthermore, each minister has a political staff including political advisors and press secretaries. The political staff assist the ministers by preparing political issues, planning and coordination and contacts with the media.
Other senior officials are the Director-General for Administrative and Legal Affairs and the Administrative Director. Below the executive level, the ministry is divided into divisions, offices and secretariats.
The Ministry of Employment is principal for the following government agencies:
- The Equality Ombudsman (Diskrimineringsombudsmannen, DO)
- The Council for Employee Representation on Boards of Directors (Nämnden för styrelserepresentationsfrågor)
- The Council for the European Social Fund in Sweden, Swedish ESF Council (Rådet för Europeiska Socialfonden i Sverige, Svenska ESF-rådet)
- The Institute for Labour Market Policy Evaluation (Institutet för arbetsmarknadspolitisk utvärdering, IFAU)
- The Labour Court (Arbetsdomstolen)
- The National Advisory Board on Patent Rights and Compensation Settlements for Inventions at Work (Statens nämnd för arbetstagares uppfinningar)
- The National Mediation Office (Medlingsinstitutet, MI)
- The National Institute for Working Life (Arbetslivsinstitutet)
- The Swedish ILO Committee (Svenska ILO-kommittén)
- The Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen) (Official site)
- The Swedish Unemployment Insurance Board (Inspektionen för arbetslöshetsförsäkringen, IAF)
- The Swedish Work Environment Authority (Arbetsmiljöverket, AV)
- Ministry of Employment, official website (English)
- Arbetsmarknadsdepartementet, official website (Swedish)