Ministry of Family and Social Policy (Turkey)
|Aile ve Sosyal Politikalar Bakanlığı|
|Agency executive||Ayşenur İslam, Minister|
The Ministry of Family and Social Policies (Turkish: Aile ve Sosyal Politikalar Bakanlığı) is a government ministry of the Republic of Turkey, responsible for family affairs and social services, and was established in 2011. The ministry is currently headed by Ayşenur İslam. She assumed office on December 26, 2013.
Before 2011, the portfolio of women and family affairs was executed by a state minister in the cabinet with the help of the Agency for Social Services and Children Protection (Turkish: Başbakanlık Sosyal Hizmetler ve Çocuk Esirgeme Kurumu) subordinated to the Prime Ministry. The first head of the new established ministry was Fatma Şahin.
The ministry features following branches of service:
- Family and Public Services (Aile ve Toplum Hizmetleri)
- Children Services (Çocuk Hizmetleri)
- Disabled and Elderly Services (Engelli ve Yaşlı Hizmetleri)
- Status of Women (Kadının Statüsü)
- Social Aids (Sosyal Yardımlar)
- Services for Casualty Relatives and Veterans (Şehit Yakınları ve Gazi Hizmetleri)
Projects and programs
The ministry worked out a bill on the "Protection of Family and Prevention of Violence Against Women", which passed on March 8, 2012. After the passege of the bill, 800 men in Izmir received stay away order for a term between three and six months upon application of their wives to the public prosecutor. 90 women found accommodation in women's shelters, who were evicted from home or were at risk of getting killed by their partners.
Following the enactment of the law on domestic violence, the ministry put an electronic device called panic button into service in September 2012 for use by women in emergency situations of a threat. Additionally, a one-touch mobile phone application was in development for emergency police call.
According to the records of the ministry, a total of 695 people, including 369 women, lost their lives between 2009 and 2012 as a result of domestic violence. The ministry reported in January 2013 that 6,764 women across the country received police protection. Adana Province ranked with 1,605 women on the first place.
The ministry concluded to be part of lawsuits on honor killings and child abuses. In a timespan of three months in 2012, the ministry got involved in 17 cases. In some cases, however the court refused the ministry's request.
A manual, prepared and circulated by the ministry in January 2014, is to inform women about domestic violence listing patterns of abusive behavior in a relationship with a partner.
Disabled and Elderly Care
Vocational education for women
The ministry launched a program on "vocational education for women" together with the Ministry of National Education. In one year, 780 women from 28 provinces attended the course. The most preferred branch was "Child care and Technology".
List of ministers
|Name (Born-Died)||Party||Term of Office||Cabinet|
|Minister of State (Responsible for Women and Family Affairs)|
|Nimet Çubukçu (1965– )||AKP||2 Jun 2005||1 May 2009||Erdoğan I
|Selma Aliye Kavaf (1962– )||AKP||1 May 2009||6 Jul 2011||Erdoğan II|
|Minister of Family and Social Policy|
|Fatma Şahin (1966– )||AKP||6 Jul 2011||25 Dec 2013||Erdoğan III|
|Ayşenur İslam (1958– )||AKP||26 Dec 2013||incumbent||Erdoğan III|
- "Kadın bakanlardan duygusal devir-teslim". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2013-12-26. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "'Fatma Bacı' kabinenin tek kadın bakanı oldu". Radikal (in Turkish). 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Ailenin Korunması ve Kadına Karşı Şiddetin Önlenmesine Dair Kanun". T.C. Resmi Gazete (in Turkish). 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Bakanlığın müdahilik talebine ret". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2012-02-15. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Yazdıç, Esra (2012-09-11). "Polisten kadınlara özel uygulama!". Habertürk (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "369 kadın hayatını kaybetti". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2012-12-04. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "6764 kadına polis koruması verildi". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2013-01-12. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Bakanlık kadın davalarına müdahil oluyor". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2012-07-30. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Serim, Esra (2014-01-21). "Aile Bakanlığı'ndan şiddet kılavuzu". Habertürk (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Alzheimerlılar özel ellerde". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Serim, Esra (2014-01-28). "Aile Bakanlığı’ndan eğitim desteği". Habertürk (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-01-31.