Ministry of Finance (Russia)
|Formed||October 24, 1780 as Expedition of state revenues|
|Jurisdiction||Federal government of the Russian Federation|
|Headquarters||Ilinka Street 9, Moscow
|Annual budget||1611.8 billion rouble (FY 2011)|
Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation (Russian: Министерство финансов Российской Федерации, Минфин России, MinFin) is a federal ministry, responsible for general financial policy and for general management in the field of finance of the Russian Federation. The ministry has two predecessors, the most notable one being the Ministry of Finance of the USSR who is itself the successor of the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Empire. The agency has its headquarters in Ilinka Street 9. in Moscow.
Anton Siluanov serve as current Minister of Finance of the Russian Federation since September 2011.
The Treasury Governing body in Russia was established by Imperial Decree of Catherine II in October 24, 1780 as The Expedition of state revenues, which was, in fact, the beginning of the creation of state financial authority in Russia.
In the Soviet Union, the Ministry was renamed as the Ministry of Finance (MOF USSR), which combines the Treasury of the Soviet republics, in particular the Ministry of Finance of the RSFSR.
The Ministry of Finance of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic was part of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR and was under the authority of the Soviet Ministry of Finance under The Council of Ministers of the USSR, the official name of the Soviet government.
By Decree of the President of the RSFSR from November 11, 1991 (Presidential Decree № 190) The Ministry of Finance was merged with the Ministry of Economy of and the new ministry was called the Ministry of Economy and Finance of the Russian Federative Republic. Under Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federative Soviet Republic (later the Government of Russia) from November 15, 1991 (Resolution № 8) the Ministry of Finance was liquidated and its businesses and organizations transferred to the Ministry of Economy and Finance of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic.
From December 25, 1991 to February 19, 1992 the Ministry was called Ministry of Economy and Finance. By Presidential Decree of February 19, 1992 № 156, it was again divided into two ministries - the Ministry of the Economy and Finance Ministry.
Because of the 2014 Crimean crisis, a number of Western countries aimed sanctions at Russia, with personal financial transactions by certain Russian individuals proscribed. Among these sanctioned individuals were Arkady Rotenberg and Boris Rotenberg, who also happened to be shareholders of certain Russian banks. On 24 March, MasterCard and Visa declined to permit transactions at these banks for a number of hours, ostensibly because they had misinterpreted the sanctions document. Anton Siluanov, then-current Minister of Finance, told reporters on 26 March that he had revived plans to develop a Ruusian alternative card payment system to cut its dependence on Visa and MasterCard after these disruptions in their service. Siluanov said that "The payments restriction by Visa and Mastercard at one bank made us start thinking very seriously how we can secure ourselves against this kind of cases." President Vladimir Putin agreed the next day in conference with legislators: "This wasn’t our decision. We need to defend our interests. And we’ll do that. It is really too bad that certain companies have decided on [...] restrictions. I think this will simply cause them to lose certain segments of the market - a very profitable market."
- Department of administration and control
- Department of budgetary policy and methodology
- Department of tax policy and customs schedule
- Department of state debt and state financial assets
- Department of financial policy
- Department of regional budgets
- Department of regulation of state financial control, auditing, accounting and records
- Law Department
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of military and law enforcement service and the state defense order
- Administrative Department
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of social welfare and science
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of state management, judicial and public service
- Department of development and execution of federal budget
- Department of international financial relations
- Department of information technologies in the sphere of budgeting and state and local finance management
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of transport, roads, natural resources and agriculture
- Department of budgetary policy in the sphere of innovation, civil industry, energetics, communication and public-private partnership
- Federal Tax Service
- Federal Service for Fiscal and Budgetary Supervision
- Federal Service for Insurance Supervision
- Federal Treasury of Russia
Russian Ministers of Finance
- Count Aleksey Vasilyev 8 September 1802 – 15 August 1807
- Fyodor Golubtsov 26 August 1807 – 1 January 1810
- Count Dmitry Guriev 1 January 1810 – 22 April 1823
- Count Egor Kankrin 22 April 1823 – 1 May 1844
- Fyodor Vronchenko 1 May 1844 – 6 April 1852
- Pyotr Brok 9 April 1852 – 23 March 1858
- Aleksandr Knyazhevich 23 March 1858 – 23 January 1862
- Mikhail Ruetern 23 January 1862 – 7 July 1878
- Samuil Greyg 7 July 1878 – 27 October 1880
- Aleksandr Abaza 27 October 1880 – 6 May 1881
- Nikolay Bunge 6 May 1881 – 31 December 1886
- Ivan Vyshnegradsky 1 January 1887 – 30 August 1892
- Count Sergei Witte 30 August 1892 – 16 August 1903
- Eduard Pleske 16 August 1903 – 4 February 1904
- Count Vladimir Kokovtsov 5 February 1904 – 24 October 1905
- Ivan Shipov 28 October 1905 – 24 April 1906
- Count Vladimir Kokovtsov 26 April 1906 – 30 January 1914
- Pyotr Bark 30 January 1914 – 28 February 1917
Socialist Commissars and Ministers
|Name||Took office||Left office|
|People's Commissar for Finance of the RSFSR|
|Ivan Skvortsov-Stepanov||27 October 1917||30 October 1917|
|Vyacheslav Menzhinsky||30 October 1917||21 March 1918|
|Isidor Gukovsky||21 March 1918||16 August 1918|
|Nikolay Krestinsky||16 August 1918||22 November 1922|
|Grigory Sokolnikov||22 November 1922||6 July 1923|
|Miron Vladimirov||6 July 1923||November 1924|
|Nikolai Milutin||December 1924||December 1929|
|Barbara Yakovleva||January 1930||September 1937|
|Vasily Popov||February 1938||20 April 1939|
|M.N. Umonov||21 April 1939||September 1939|
|Arseny Sofronov||October 1939||28 March 1941|
|Alexei Homespun||28 March 1941||18 July 1945|
|Arseny Sofronov||18 July 1945||23 March 1946|
|Minister of Finance of the RSFSR|
|Arseny Sofronov||23 March 1946||July 1949|
|Ivan Fadeev||September 1949||March 1973|
|Andrei Bobrovnikov||March 1973||10 May 1990|
|Boris Fyodorov||18 July 1990||5 December 1990|
|Igor Lazarev||5 December 1990||11 November 1991|
|Name||Took office||Left office||Duration|
|People's Commissar for Finance|
|Sokolnikov, GrigoryGrigory Sokolnikov||6 July 1923||16 January 1926||2 years, 194 days|
|Bryukhanov, NikolaiNikolai Bryukhanov||16 January 1926||18 October 1930||4 years, 275 days|
|Hrynko, HryhoriyHryhoriy Hrynko||18 October 1930||16 August 1937||6 years, 302 days|
|Chubar, VlasVlas Chubar||16 August 1937||19 January 1938||156 days|
|Zverev, ArsenyArseny Zverev (1st)||19 January 1938||15 March 1946||8 years, 55 days|
|Minister of Finance|
|Zverev, ArsenyArseny Zverev (1st)||15 March 1946||16 February 1948||1 year, 338 days|
|Kosygin, AlexeiAlexei Kosygin||16 February 1948||28 December 1948||306 days|
|Zverev, ArsenyArseny Zverev (2nd)||28 December 1948||16 May 1960||11 years, 140 days|
|Garbuzov, VasilyVasily Garbuzov||16 May 1960||13 November 1985||25 years, 181 days|
|Gostev, BorisBoris Gostev||13 December 1985||7 June 1989||3 years, 175 days|
|Pavlov, ValentinValentin Pavlov||17 July 1989||26 December 1990||1 year, 162 days|
|Vladimir OrlovVladimir Orlov||7 March 1991||21 December 1991||289 days|
|Rayevsky, VladimirVladimir Rayevsky||21 December 1991||4 February 1992||45 days|
|First Deputy Minister of Finance (selected)|
|Poskonov, AlexeiAlexei Poskonov (1st)||15 March 1946||1948|
|Zverev, ArsenyArseny Zverev||February 1948||December 1948|
|Garbuzov, VasilyVasily Garbuzov||1953||16 May 1960|
|Poskonov, AlexeiAlexei Poskonov (2nd)||16 May 1960||1963|
|Sitnin, VladimirVladimir Sitnin||1963||August 1965|
|Dementsev, VictorVictor Dementsev||1973||January 1986|
|Pavlov, ValentinValentin Pavlov||January 1986||August 1986|
|Garetovsky, NikolaiNikolai Garetovsky||August 1986||1987|
|Panskov, VladimirVladimir Panskov||1987||1991|
|Vladimir OrlovVladimir Orlov||1990||7 March 1991|
|Zverev, AndreiAndrei Zverev||1990||1992|
|No.||Officeholder||Term start||Term end|
|1||Boris Fyodorov||14 July 1990||28 December 1990|
|2||Igor Lazarev||28 December 1990||11 November 1991|
|3||Yegor Gaidar||19 February 1992||2 April 1992|
|4||Vasily Barchuk||2 April 1992||25 March 1993|
|5||Boris Fyodorov||25 March 1993||26 January 1994|
|Acting||Sergei Dubinin||26 January 1994||12 October 1994|
|Acting||Andrey Vavilov||12 October 1994||4 November 1994|
|6||Vladimir Panskov||4 November 1994||14 August 1996|
|7||Alexander Livshitz||14 August 1996||17 March 1997|
|8||Anatoly Chubais||17 March 1997||20 November 1997|
|9||Mikhail Zadornov||20 November 1997||25 May 1999|
|10||Mikhail Kasyanov||25 May 1999||18 May 2000|
|11||Alexei Kudrin||18 May 2000||27 September 2011|
|12||Anton Siluanov||27 September 2011||present|
- Steven Rosefielde, The Russian Economy: From Lenin to Putin, 2007, 260 p.
- Nihon Sōgō Kenkyūjo, The Russian economy: from stability to growth, Hoshino Committee on Economic Reform in Russia - 1996, 78 p.
- Robert C. Stuart, Paul R. Gregory, The Russian economy: past, present, and future - 1995, 146 p.
- Joseph R. Blasi, Maya Kroumova, Douglas Kruse, Kremlin capitalism: the privatization of the Russian economy - 1997, 249 p.
- Steve H. Hanke, Lars Jonung, Kurt Schuler, Russian currency and finance: a currency board approach to reform - 1993 - 222 p.
- David Stuart Lane, Russian banking: evolution, problems and prospects, 2002 - 268 p.
- Ivan Bloich / Блиох И. С. Финансы России XIX столетия (СПб., 1882)
- Вестник Финансов, Промышленности и Торговли (1894 г., № 5 и 8; 1895 г., № 7; 1896 г., № 21).
- Высшие и центральные государственные учреждения России, 1801—1917 гг. СПб., 2001. Т. 2.
- История Министерства финансов Российской Федерации. В 4 т. Т.1. 1903 - 1917. М., 2002.
- Министерство финансов //Экономическая история России с древнейших времен до 1917 г. Энциклопедия. Т.1. М.: РОСПЭН, 2008
- Соловьев Я.В. Министерство финансов Российской империи в 1858 - 1903 гг.: организация и функционирование. Диссертация на соискание ученой степени кандидата исторических наук. М., 2003.
- Соловьев Я.В. Министерство финансов Российской империи в начале царствования Александра II (1856 - 1862 годы)//Вестник Московского государственного областного университета. Серия «История и политические науки». 2004. №3.
- Соловьев Я.В. Бюрократический аппарат Министерства финансов в пореформенную эпоху //Вопросы истории. 2006. №7.
- Dmitry Tolstoi / Толстой Д. А., История финансовых учреждений со времени основания государства до кончины императрицы Екатерины II (СПб., 1848)
- Д. Н. Шилов, Государственные деятели Российской империи 1802—1917. С.-Петербург, 2002.
- Государственная власть СССР. Высшие органы власти и управления и их руководители. 1923—1991 гг. Москва, 1999.
- "Basic parameters of the Russian draft federal budget for 2011"
- Home page. Ministry of Finance. Retrieved on 4 December 2010. "Contact information 109097, Moscow, Ilinka Str. 9" - Address in Russian: "109097, Москва, ул. Ильинка, д.9"
- History of Russian banking, Institute for Banking by the Association of Russian Banks
- Officially, between November 11, 1991 and February 19, 1992, the ministry was named Ministry of Economy and Finance the Russian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic (Russian Federation)
- cnn.com: "Visa and MasterCard resume service at two Russian banks" 24 Mar 2014
- "Visa, MasterCard block some Russian cards" 21 Mar 2014
- npr.org: "Declined: Visa, MasterCard Freeze Out Targeted Russian Banks" 21 Mar 2014
- "Russia renews plan for domestic alternative to Visa, Mastercard" 26 Mar 2014
- euractiv.com: "Putin ‘sanctions’ Visa, Master Card" 27 Mar 2014
- bloomberg.com: "Putin Touts Russian Proxy for Visa, MasterCard After Sanctions" 27 Mar 2014
- Presidential decree on Kudrin's dismissal as Minister of Finance, Kremlin.ru
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ministry of Finance (Russia).|