Ministry of Food and Agriculture (Ghana)
Emblem of MOFA
|Formed||Government of Ghana|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Ghana|
Ghana's Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MOFA) is the government agency responsible for the development and growth of agriculture in the country. The jurisdiction does not cover the cocoa, coffee or forestry sectors.
Structure of MOFA
- Deputy Minister in charge of Fisheries
- Deputy Minister in charge of Crops
- Deputy Minister in charge of Livestock
Functions of MOFA
The ministry's roles include the following:
- Formulation of appropriate agricultural policies to aid the agricultural sector.
- Planning and co-ordination of various development projects in the agricultural sector.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the projects and programmes instituted to assess their progress.
Its mission is to promote sustainable agriculture and thriving agribusiness through research and technology development, effective extension and other support services to farmers, processors and traders for improved livelihood.
The vision of the Ministry is a modernised agriculture culminating in a structurally transformed economy and evident in food security, employment opportunities and reduced poverty.
Agriculture in Ghana is recognised as the mainstay of the economy with a greater impact on poverty reduction than other sectors. It is also critical for rural development and associated cultural values, social stabilisation, environmental sustainability and buffer during economic shocks. Based on the role of agriculture in the national development framework, Food and Agriculture Sector Development Policy (FASDEP II) has the following as its objectives:
- Food security and emergency preparedness
- Improved growth in incomes
- Increased competitiveness and enhanced integration into domestic and international markets
- Sustainable management of land and environment
- Science and Technology Applied in food and agriculture development
- Improved institutional Coordination 
Departments and agencies
DP Membership – Agric Sector working Group
- African Development Bank (AfDB)
- Agence français de développement (AFD – France)
- Alliance for Green Revolution for Africa (AGRA)
- Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
- Engineers Without Borders (EWB)
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN (FAO)
- German Development Cooperation (GIZ-KfW)
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- International Water Management Institute (IWMI)
- Japan International Corporation Agency (JICA)
- Japan International Research Centre for Agricultural Science (JIRCAS)
- Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC)
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- World Bank (WB)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
Projects Of The Ministry Of Food And Agriculture
- PFJ (Planting For foods And Jobs) This a five year contract which is made to increase the production of crops in Ghana. and decrease the importation of food. This project as well is meant to provide job opportunities for the youth of the country.
- "Ministry of Food & Agriculture". www.ghana.gov.gh. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Ministry of Food and Agric". www.mofa.gov.gh/. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "About Us: Mission". Ministry of Food and Agriculture. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "About Us: Vision". Ministry of Food and Agriculture. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "About Us: Objectives". Ministry of Food and Agriculture. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Government of Ghana – Development Partners WORKING TOGETHER FOR A BETTER FUTURE". Ministry of Food & Agriculture. 2011-08-10. Retrieved 2017-10-13.