Ministry of Food and Drug Safety
The Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS, Korean: 대한민국 식품의약품안전처; Hanja: 食品醫藥品安全處; RR: Daehanminguk Sikpumuiyakpumanjeoncheo), formerly known as the Korea Food & Drug Administration (KFDA, Korean: 식품의약품안전청), is a South Korea government agency responsible for promoting the public health by ensuring the safety and efficiency of foods, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and cosmetics as well as supporting the development of the food and pharmaceutical industries. The main goal is to offer people safe foods and drugs.
In April 1996, Korea Food and Drug Safety and its six regional offices were established. It was raised to the status of administration (Korea Food & Drug Administration), in 1998. In 2004, the organization was restructured with the creation of Medical Devices Management Division and Bioproduct Technical Support Division. In March 2013, the organization was again restructured and upgraded to a ministry, receiving its name change.
List of chairmen and ministers
- Park Jong-sei, 1998–1999
- Huh Kun, 1999-2000
- Yang Gyuhwan, 2000-2002
- Lee Youngsoon, 2002-2003
- Shim Changkoo, 2003-2004
- Kim Chungsook, 2004-2006
- Moon Changjin, 2006-2007
- Kim Myunghyun, 2007-2008
- Yun Yeopyo, 2008-2010
- Noh Yunhong, 2010-2011
- Lee Heesung, 2011-2013
- Chung Seung, 2013-2015
- Kim Seunghee, 2015-2016
- Sohn Mungi, 2016-2017
- Ryu Youngjin, 2017-2019
- Lee Eui-Kyung, 2019-2020
- Kim Ganglip, 2020-
- "Location." (Archive) Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Retrieved on January 1, 2014. "Osong Health Technology Administration Complex, 187 Osongsaengmyeong2(i)-ro, Osong-eup, Cheongwon-gun, Chungcheongbuk-do, Korea 363-700"
- Sujin Kwak (28 March 2013). "MFDS Reforms and Takes a New Step Forward". Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Archived from the original on 29 April 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Chae Sam-seok [蔡三錫] (1998-03-08). "朴鍾世 식품의약품안전청장" [Park Jong-sei, Food and Drug Administration chairman]. Yonhap News. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Former Ministers and Commissioners". Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Retrieved November 30, 2020.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety
- (in Korean) Ministry of Food and Drug Safety
- Korean Food and Drug Agency (in Korean) (Archive)
- (in Korean) Korean Food and Drug Agency (in Korean) (Archive)
|This South Korea-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|