Ministry of Health (Kenya)
|Wizara ya Afya|
Coat of Arms of Kenya
|Headquarters||Afya House, |
Cathedral Road, Nairobi
|Annual budget||KES. 60 billion|
The Ministry of Health traces its roots back to colonial times in British Kenya.Post independence, in the inaugural cabinet, the Ministry of health was originally called the Ministry of health and Housing. The inaugural holder of the post was Dr. Njoroge Mungai.
In 2008 the coalition government was formed and the Ministry of Health was divided into the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Medical services. However, this lasted for only 4 years and the ministry was converted back to the Ministry of Health in 2013 after the formation of the Unity government.
The United States suspended their $21 million funding of the ministry over allegations of corruption on 9 May 2017.
The Ministry of Health has 6 departments within the organization which focuses on their respective sector who are under the supervision of the Director of Medical Services, Principal secretary and Cabinet secretary.
- Department of Preventive and Promotive Health
- Department of Curative and Rehabilitation Health Services
- Department of Standards and Quality Assurance and Regulations
- Department of Planning and Health Financing
- Department of Health Sector Coordination and Inter Government
- Department of Administrative Services
Historical list of ministers
- Bernard_Mate (1961–1963)
- Dr. Njoroge Mungai (1963) 
- Joseph_David_Otiende (1965) 
- Samuel_Ole_Tipis (1963-?)
Ministry of Health
- Mwai_Kibaki (1988–1991)
Ministries of Public Health and Medical Services (created in 2008)
- Ministry of Public Health
- Beth Mugo (2008-2012)
- Ministry of Medical Services
- Peter Anyang Nyong'o (2008-2012)
Ministry of Health
- "Fresh faces join Uhuru Cabinet - VIDEO". Daily Nation. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- kenya50 (2013-06-10). "The First Cabinet". Kenya @50. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Ministry of Public health Strategic Plan 2008-2012" (PDF).
- "US cuts Kenya health aid money over corruption allegations". BBC News. 9 May 2017. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- "Departments « Ministry of Health". www.health.go.ke. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- Kenya Gazette. 11 June 1963. p. 643. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- Kenya Gazette. 28 December 1965. p. 1516. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "CIA list of world leaders" (PDF).