Ministry of Industry and Information Technology
Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó Gōngyè Hé Xìnxīhuàbù
|Parent agency||State Council|
|Ministry of Industry and Information Technology|
The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the Chinese government, established in March 2008, is the state agency of the People's Republic of China responsible for regulation and development of the postal service, Internet, wireless, broadcasting, communications, production of electronic and information goods, software industry and the promotion of the national knowledge economy. The MIIT was also responsible for the nation's tobacco control, but this task will be assigned to a new health commission to be established as part of a broad governmental reshuffle.
The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology is not responsible for the regulation of content for the media industry. This is administered by the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television. The responsibility for regulating the non-electronic communications industry in China falls on the General Administration of Press and Publication.
The state council announced during the 2008 National People's Congress that the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology will supersede the Ministry of Information Industry. The ministry also includes the State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense, the State Council Informatization Office and the State Tobacco Monopoly Bureau.
In 2013, the ministry's 'Made in China 2025' plan was approved by the State Council. It took over two years to complete by one hundred and fifty people. The plan's aim is to improve production efficiency and quality.
List of ministers
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office|
|Minister of Information Industry|
|1||Wu Jichuan||March 1998||March 2003|
|2||Wang Xudong||March 2003||March 2008|
|Minister of Industry and Information Technology|
|3||Li Yizhong||March 2008||December 2010|
|4||Miao Wei||December 2010||August 2020|
|5||Xiao Yaqing||August 2020||September 2022|
|6||Jin Zhuanglong||September 2022||Incumbent|
- PRC Govt Website, http://www.gov.cn/english//2005-10/02/content_74176.htm, Accessed Sept 2, 2007
- "China's ministry in charge of tobacco control had ties to the industry. Not anymore". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-03-16.
- "国家广播电影电视总局". Archived from the original on 2011-01-23. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "01". Archived from the original on 2006-01-10. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "工业和信息化部英文译名确定 新网站将上线_科技频道_新华网". news.xinhuanet.com. Archived from the original on 2008-07-05.
- "Beijing opens green super-ministry | The Australian". Archived from the original on 2009-08-27. Retrieved 2008-03-22.
- "Made in China 2025". Center for Strategic and International Studies. Retrieved 2015-07-14.