Ministry of Tourism (India)
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Headquarters||Ministry of Tourism
The Ministry of Tourism, a branch of the Government of India, is the apex body for formulation and administration of the rules, regulations and laws relating to the development and promotion of tourism in India. The head of the ministry is Minister of Tourism, a Minister of State (Independent Charge), held by Shri. Shripad Yasso Naik since May 2014. To promote the GDP of the country indirectly and to have friendly relations with them, The Government of India announced officially a Visa on Arrival status/facility for International Visitors to enter/visit India from 43 countries including United States, Australia, Vietnam, Thailand, Vanuatu, Singapore, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Russian Federation, Brazil, Finland, Germany, Japan, Myanmar on 27 November 2014 and some more countries to follow soon.
Former tourism ministers
- Uma Bharati (1999 – 2000)
- Subodh Kant Sahay (2011 – 28 October 2012)
- Chiranjeevi (28 October 2012 – 15 May 2014)
Union Tourism Ministry is planning to introduce "Cleanliness Index" for all cities in India. This index will declare the best performers which will motivate other cities to spruce up. The methodology has been already formulated and will be implemented in 6 cities on a pilot basis.
A number of educational institutions related to hospitality are governed by Ministry of Tourism. This include the Institutes of Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (IHMCTAN). In 2016, a few of the IHMCTANs (Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Jaipur) driven by inputs from Ministry of Tourism, started giving a hotel management student the option to choose only vegetarian cooking. Earlier, it was compulsory for all IHMCTAN students to learn non-vegetarian cooking. This decision to offer a vegetarian option by IHMCTANs could possibly be the first amongst any of the hospitality training institutes of the world.
- http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/cleanliness-index-soon-to-rank-cities/article6428178.ece. Retrieved from 'The Hindu' on 20 September 2014
- http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31808&articlexml=IHMs-to-offer-3-yr-course-in-vegetarian-11072016013026. Retrieved 30 August 2016. Missing or empty
- http://www.cityofjaipur.com/news/2016/07/13/vegetarian-cooking-courses-to-be-introduced-in-hotel-management-institutes/. Retrieved 30 August 2016. Missing or empty
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|