Kelly at The Heart Truth's Red Dress Collection 2012
|Born||Minka Dumont Dufay
June 24, 1980
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Education||Valley High School|
Maureen Dumont Kelly (deceased)
|Relatives||Richard Ney (grandfather)|
Minka Dumont Kelly (born Minka Dumont Dufay; on June 24, 1980) is an American actress. She is most known for her roles in the TV series Friday Night Lights (2006), Parenthood (2010) and Charlie's Angels (2011). She is also known for her role in The Roommate (2011). She appeared in the 2013 film The Butler as Jackie Kennedy and in the Fox TV series Almost Human.
Kelly was born in Los Angeles, California. She is the only child of former Aerosmith guitarist Rick Dufay and Maureen Dumont Kelly, an exotic dancer. Her parents split up when she was young, and she was raised by her mother. Her paternal grandfather was actor and investment advisor Richard Ney. Kelly and her mother moved to various communities, before settling in Chicago, Illinois by the time Kelly was in junior high school. She has French and Irish ancestry.
After graduating from Valley High School in Albuquerque, Kelly returned to Los Angeles. While on a test shoot for a modeling agency, she was approached by a former Playboy Playmate who was interested in managing her, and who placed Kelly as a receptionist at a surgeon's office who would provide Kelly breast augmentation in exchange for hours worked. She ultimately decided against the procedure, leading to her being fired. That exposure to the medical field prompted her to attend school for a year to become a surgeon's assistant; afterward, she worked as a scrub technician. During the four years she spent in that vocation she continued auditioning for film and television roles.
In 2003, Kelly made her acting debut as an extra in the short film Turbo-Charged Prelude a six-minute introduction to the action film 2 Fast 2 Furious. This was followed by a guest appearance on Cracking Up. She has since appeared in a number of television shows such as Entourage, Drake & Josh and American Dreams. In 2005, Kelly landed a three-episode recurring role on The WB sitcom What I Like About You.
In April 2006, Kelly was cast as a series regular on the NBC drama Friday Night Lights. The show, based on the high school football movie of that name, follows a high school football team in the fictional small town of Dillon. Kelly played the role of high school student and cheerleader Lyla Garrity. In preparation for her role as a cheerleader she trained with the Pflugerville High School cheerleading squad. The series premiered on October 3, 2006, with Kelly receiving praise for her performance with The New York Times calling her performance "heartbreaking". At the end of the show's third season Kelly left the series as her character left for university.
In 2006, Kelly starred in the horror slasher film The Pumpkin Karver, and had a bit role in State's Evidence. In 2007, she reunited with Friday Night Lights creator Peter Berg in the film The Kingdom in a cameo role as Ms. Ross alongside Jamie Foxx and Jennifer Garner. In 2009, she also made a cameo in the film (500) Days of Summer.
In August 2008, Kelly was cast as the protagonist in The CW pilot Body Politic. She played the role of Francesca "Frankie" Foster, who moves to Washington, D.C. to work for a senator and befriends a group of eager up-and-comers. Despite acclaim from critics who viewed the pilot, The CW did not pick up the series. Kelly also appeared in the pilot for the short-lived CBS ensemble comedy series Mad Love playing the role of Kate, a Midwestern girl who falls in love with Henry at the top of the Empire State Building. When the show was picked up, Kelly was replaced by Sarah Chalke.
In April 2010, Kelly appeared on the NBC drama series Parenthood. She played the role of a behavioral aide to the child character Max who is diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. Kelly went on to appear in nine episodes of the show before making her final appearance in the episode "Taking the Leap" which aired on March 29, 2011. That same year, Kelly was named "Sexiest Woman Alive" in the annual Esquire magazine feature. She accepted a role in the Off Broadway play Love, Loss, and What I Wore for an April 27–29, 2011, run with Conchata Ferrell, AnnaLynne McCord, Anne Meara and B. Smith.
In February 2011, Kelly starred as the protagonist on the Screen Gems thriller film The Roommate. The film follows a college freshman whose roommate has an obsession with her that turns violent. The film also starred Leighton Meester and went on to make over $15.6 million in its opening weekend and over $40 million worldwide. The film was universally panned and was considered a "cheap remake" of the 1992 film Single White Female.
In December 2010, ABC announced that Kelly was cast in the planned reboot of the crime drama Charlie's Angels. Kelly played the role of street racer Eva French. The pilot was filmed in March 2011 and the series was picked up on May 13, 2011. Charlie's Angels premiered on September 22, 2011, to over 8.76 million viewers. The series received unanimously negative reviews from critics. Despite a planned thirteen episodes, ABC cancelled the series after the premiere of the fourth episode due to low ratings.
Variety announced that Kelly was cast as the lead in the mystery comedy film Searching for Sonny. The film follows two reunited friends who are suspects in a murder mystery that is similar to a play in which they appeared during high school. Production took place in May and June 2010 in Fort Worth, Texas. The film won the "Best Narrative Feature" Award at the Festivus Film Festival.
She joined an eight-day, four-country United Service Organizations tour in December 2011 with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin Dempsey, Robert Horry, Jordin Sparks, Thomas Miles and Sergeant Major Bryan Battaglia. In February 2012, she was one of the celebrities who modeled in red dresses for The Heart Truth Red Dress Collection show, part of New York Fashion Week. She wore a Diane von Fürstenberg dress. In June 2012, Kelly was revealed to be the lead actress in the music video for Maroon 5's second single from the Overexposed album, "One More Night". Kelly appeared in the 2013 film The Butler as Jackie Kennedy.
From May 2008 to August 2011, she dated baseball player Derek Jeter. Jeter and Kelly reunited briefly in early 2012 before calling it quits for good. After briefly dating in 2007, Kelly reunited with actor Chris Evans in September 2012. They split in October 2013.
|2003||Turbo-Charged Prelude||The Girl||6 minute introductory short film for 2 Fast 2 Furious|
|2006||The Pumpkin Karver||Tammy Boyles|
|2006||State's Evidence||Girl #3|
|2007||The Kingdom||Miss Ross|
|2009||(500) Days of Summer||Autumn|
|2011||The Roommate||Sara Matthews||Nominated—MTV Movie Award for Best Scared-As-S**t Performance
Nominated—Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Actress in a Drama
|2011||Just Go with It||Joanna Damon|
|2011||Searching for Sonny||Eden Mercer|
|2013||The Butler||Jackie Kennedy|
|2014||The World Made Straight||Dena|
|2015||Away and Back||Ginny|
|2004||Cracking Up||Monica||Episode: "Panic House"|
|2004||Drake & Josh||Stacey||Episode: "Movie Job"|
|2005||American Dreams||Bonnie||Episode: "Home Again"|
|2005||What I Like About You||Ricki||3 episodes|
|2006–2009||Friday Night Lights||Lyla Garrity||Major role; 52 episodes|
|2009||Body Politic||Francesca "Frankie" Foster||Unaired CW pilot|
|2010||Entourage||Herself||Episode: "Lose Yourself"|
|2011||Charlie's Angels||Eve French||Lead role; 8 episodes|
|2013–2014||Almost Human||Valerie Stahl||Main role; 14 episodes|
|2015||Man Seeking Woman||Whitney||Episode: "Sizzurp"|
|2002||"If You C Jordan"||Something Corporate video|
|2002||"She Hates Me"||Puddle Of Mudd video|
|2012||"One More Night"||Levine's girlfriend||Maroon 5 video|
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905-1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Searchable at http://www.familytreelegends.com/records/39461
- "About Minka Kelly". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Sturtz, Rachel (November 2006), "Funny Joke from a Beautiful Woman", Esquire. 146 (5):41
- "Richard M. Ney". Find a Grave. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- D'Agostino, Ryan (October 11, 2010). "Minka Kelly Is the Sexiest Woman Alive 2010". Esquire. Archived from the original on 2010. Retrieved October 11, 2010.
- "Watch out Derek Jeter, Minka Kelly is Esquire's sexiest woman alive | Amy Andrews Gossip Girl". Irish Central. Retrieved September 12, 2011.
- "Emarrassing Celebrity Yearbook Pics! Minka Kelly". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- No byline (2006). "Full Biography", NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "All the goss from Marquee opening party where celebs were wall-to-wall". The Daily Telegraph. April 1, 2012. Retrieved January 19, 2013.
- "Kellan Lutz, Minka Kelly And More At Marquee’s Opening". socialitelife.com. March 30, 2012. Retrieved January 19, 2013.
- Heffernan, Virginia (December 29, 2006), "You Can Find 'Friday Night Light' on Monday, Tuesday … Even Friday Night". New York Times. 156 (53808):E37
- "The Body Politic: The Best Pilot You May Never". E!. June 6, 2009. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "It's True Love for Minka Kelly". TV Guide.
- Gans, Andrew (April 14, 2011). "Minka Kelly, Susan Sullivan Set for Love, Loss... Off-Broadway". Playbill. Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- Jessica Derschowitz (October 14, 2011). ABC cancels "Charlie's Angels". CBS News. Accessed 2011-10-16.
- United Service Organizations (December 12, 2011). "@the_USO status". Twitter. Retrieved 2011-12-19.
- "Photos: Gen. Dempsey Sets Out on First USO Tour With Top Talent in Tow". United Service Organizations. December 20, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Stars Hit the Runway for Heart Health". Shape.com. February 10, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Warner, Kara (June 26, 2012). "Minka Kelly Is Maroon 5's Latest Video Vixen". MTV. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- "The Butler IMDB page". Retrieved 2012-09-04.
- "The Butler". comingsoon.net. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Derek Jeter, Minka Kelly wedding is just talk, says friend, Daily News, January 13, 2010
- Weiss. Shari (January 18, 2011). "Minka Kelly: I'm not marrying Derek Jeter – in the next month, at least". Daily News. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Minka Kelly and Derek Jeter Spotted in Paris". Daily Mail. Daily Mail.
- Shira, Dahvi. "Chris Evans & Minka Kelly Share a Smooch - Couples, Chris Evans, Minka Kelly". People.com. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- "Chris Evans and Minka Kelly Break Up (Again) | E! Online". Ca.eonline.com. Retrieved 2014-08-25.
- Sep 29, 2011 @ 6:00AM (September 29, 2011). "Charlie’s Angels Minka Kelly’s Homeless Uncle Pleads For Help". Radar Online. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "How Minka Kelly's made peace with her stripper mother on her deathbed | Mail Online". Daily Mail. September 9, 2011. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minka Kelly.|