Minnesota State Highway 18
|Maintained by Mn/DOT|
|Length:||78.207 mi (125.862 km)|
|Existed:||November 2, 1920 – present|
|West end:||MN 25 in Brainerd|
| MN 6 at Bay Lake Township
U.S.169 at Garrison
MN 47 at Malmo
MN 27 , MN 65 near McGrath
|East end:||MN 23 in Finlayson Township|
|Counties:||Crow Wing, Aitkin, Mille Lacs, Pine|
Minnesota State Highway 18 (MN 18) is a highway in east-central Minnesota, which runs from its intersection with State Highway 25 in Brainerd and continues east to its eastern terminus at its intersection with State Highway 23 in Finlayson Township near Askov and Sandstone. The eastern terminus of Highway 18 is less than 1/2 mile west of an interchange with Interstate Highway 35 along Highway 23.
Highway 18 is 78 miles (126 km) in length.
State Highway 18 serves as an east–west route between Brainerd, Garrison, Mille Lacs Lake, and Finlayson in east-central Minnesota. The route passes around the north end of Mille Lacs Lake, which is a popular fishing and recreational destination in Minnesota.
The section of Highway 18 from Brainerd to Garrison is officially designated the POW / MIA Memorial Highway. A section of U.S. Highway 169 in Minnesota also takes on this same memorial name designation.
Before 1963, the present day section of Highway 18 between State Highway 47 and State Highway 65 was originally numbered as State Highway 27; and the present day section of Highway 18 between State Highway 65 and State Highway 23 (near Sandstone) was originally numbered as State Highway 66 (essentially east of Mille Lacs Lake).
At one time, Highway 18 had continued farther west of State Highway 25 in Brainerd. This section was turned back to the city of Brainerd maintenance in 2001 after completion of the nearby Highway 371 Brainerd bypass.
|Crow Wing||Brainerd||2.327||3.745||MN 25|
|2.565||4.128||MN 309||West end of MN 309 loop|
|2.641||4.250||MN 309||East end of MN 309 loop|
|Oak Lawn Township||6.870||11.056||CR 23 (Long Lake Road)|
|Nokay Lake Township||9.967||16.040||CR 8 south (Pine Center Road)|
|10.486||16.876||CR 8 north (Nokay Lake Road)|
|Bay Lake Township||16.111||25.928||MN 6|
|Garrison||20.445||32.903||US 169||South end of US 169 overlap|
|Aitkin||Hazelton Township||25.709||41.375||US 169||North end of US 169 overlap|
|Malmo||38.348||61.715||MN 47 / CR 2 east||North end of MN 47 overlap|
|Mille Lacs||East Side Township||CR 28|
|47.413||76.304||MN 47 south||South end of MN 47 overlap|
|Aitkin||Idun Township||51.760||83.300||CR 60|
|Williams Township||55.756||89.731||MN 27 / MN 65|
|Finlayson Township||78.951||127.059||CR 61|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Route map: Google
- Minnesota State Legislature (2010). "§ 161.114, Constitutional Trunk Highways". Minnesota Statutes. Minnesota Office of the Revisor of Statutes. Retrieved November 28, 2010.
- "Statewide Trunk Logpoint Listing" (PDF). Minnesota Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 14, 2012. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "Banning State Park". Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "Chapter 440-H.F. No. 2000", Session Laws of Minnesota for 1933, Mike Holm, Secretary of State, pp. 881–897
- Riner, Steve. "Details of routes 1–25". The Unofficial Minnesota Highways Page. Self-published. Retrieved November 28, 2010.[self-published source]