Minooka High School
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Minooka Community High School|
|301 S. Wabena Avenue
|Superintendent||Dr. Kenny Lee|
|Newspaper||Peace Pipe Chatter|
Minooka Community High School, or MCHS, is a public four-year high school located in Minooka, Illinois, a southwest suburb of Chicago, in the United States. It is part of Minooka Community High School District 111.
The doors to the high school were opened in 1917 and have since grown to 2,500+ students. Minooka Community High School District 111 is a mid-sized school district located in the far southwest suburb of Chicago. The district, is largely composed of the communities of Minooka and Channahon, and also includes portions of Shorewood and Joliet.
Outside of transfers, students come to Minooka Community High School from three feeder school districts, Minooka Community Consolidated School District 201, Channahon School District 17, and Troy Community Consolidated School District 30-C.
Several additions have been made to the building over the years. The first addition added hallways to the ends of the existing hallways to create two square hallways coming off of the main walkways. With that addition in the 1990s, Minooka added more technology and classroom space. Next came the new physical education department space that has been added in the last 4 or 5 years. This addition created more room for PE classes, along with driver's ed classrooms and more. The other big addition was building a new lunch room. This glass panel, rounded room, is the location of lunch, after school programs, athletic practices, concerts, musicals & plays, and the homecoming dance.
This addition was created in the mid-2000s and was opened for the first time for the 2008-2009 school year. It currently serves as a freshman/sophomore campus while the original building is a junior/senior campus.
In 2006, Minooka had an average composite ACT score of 21.8, and graduated 93.7% of its senior class. The average class size was 29.7. Minooka offers many elective options for students in every subject and vocational area.
- Chris Başak, Former MLB player (New York Yankees)
- Mike Foltynewicz, MLB Pitcher ( Atlanta Braves)
- Nick Offerman, Actor (Ron Swanson on Parks and Recreation)
- 2006 Illinois School Report Card
- "Minooka's Basak, LWC's Flores in offensive mode". Herald News. April 21, 2007. Retrieved January 22, 2015 – via Highbeam Research. (subscription required (. ))
- Steele, Dick (April 27, 2011). "Morris was a double-sport state qualifier in 1994-95". Morris Daily Herald. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Helfgot, Mike (June 7, 2010). "Minooka's Foltynewicz picked 19th by Astros". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Merli, Melissa (October 20, 2013). "Offerman brings 'American Ham' to his alma mater". News Gazette. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Bourque, Jessica (October 25, 2013). "Nick Offerman Returns To Hometown Of Minooka In Illinois To Promote New Book". Morris Daily Herald. Retrieved January 22, 2015 – via Huffington Post.
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|