|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014)|
Minskoff Theatre, showing The Lion King, May 2007
New York City, New York
|Production||The Lion King|
|Architect||Kahn and Jacobs|
The 1,621-seat venue, designed by architects Kahn and Jacobs, is on the third floor of One Astor Plaza, an office tower constructed on the site of the legendary Astor Hotel. Named after Sam Minskoff and Sons, builders and owners of the high-rise building, it opened March 13, 1973, with a revival of Irene starring Debbie Reynolds. Over the years it has served as host to musicals, dance companies, and concerts.
In 1981, it hosted Miss Universe 1981, won by Irene Saez of Venezuela, as well as the transfer of Joseph Papp's production of The Pirates of Penzance. In 1994, Sunset Boulevard was a hit at the theatre. In 2006, The Lion King transferred to the theatre, where it continues to run, as of 2015.
In September 2007, a new set within the Minskoff space was created for the syndicated news magazine The Insider, which had formerly been based on the second floor of Astor Plaza in MTV's studios and in Los Angeles. The program returned to Los Angeles for the 2008–09 season.
- 1973: Irene starring Debbie Reynolds
- 1974: Tony & Lena Sing; Charles Aznavour on Broadway
- 1975: Bette Midler's Clams on the Half Shell Revue; Hello, Dolly!
- 1976: Chinese Acrobats of Taiwan; Dutch National Ballet; Rockabye Hamlet
- 1977: Merce Cunningham Dance Company; Pippin; Cleo on Broadway
- 1978: King of Hearts
- 1979: Béjart: Ballet of the Twentieth Century; Engelbert on Broadway
- 1980: West Side Story
- 1981: The Miss Universe Pageant; The Pirates of Penzance
- 1983: Dance a Little Closer; Marilyn: An American Fable
- 1984: The Tap Dance Kid
- 1986: Sweet Charity
- 1987: Teddy & Alice
- 1988: Cabaret
- 1989: Black and Blue
- 1992: Metro
- 1993: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
- 1994: Sunset Boulevard
- 1998: The Scarlet Pimpernel
- 1999: Saturday Night Fever
- 2001: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- 2002: Dance of the Vampires
- 2004: Fiddler on the Roof
- 2006: The Lion King
Box office record
The Lion King achieved the box office record for the Minskoff Theatre. The production cleared $2,837,158 over eight performances, for the week ending December 29, 2013.
- Authorized Official website
- New York Theatre Guide
- Minskoff Theatre at the Internet Broadway Database
- Minskoff Theater Tickets