the first page of the Gospel of Matthew
|Name||Codex Harleian. 5540|
|Now at||British Library|
|Size||13.5 cm by 10.5 cm|
Minuscule 114 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 1018 (Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment leaves. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 11th century. It has marginalia.
The codex contains the text of the four Gospels on 280 parchment leaves (size 13.5 cm by 10.5 cm). It has some lacunae in Matthew 17:4-18; 26:59-73, Matthew 28:19-Mark 1:12 added by a later hand. The headpieces are decorated with gold and silver. It has itacistic errors.
The text is written in one column per page, in 20 lines per page. It is written by very elegant hand, with more recent marginal notes. The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and their τιτλοι (titles) at the top of the pages. There is also a division according to the Ammonian Sections, but there is no references to the Eusebian Canons.
Hermann von Soden classified it to the textual family Π. Kurt Aland the Greek text of the codex did not place in any Category. According to the Claremont Profile Method it represents textual family Πa in Luke 1, Luke 10, and Luke 20.
In 1617 it belonged to Nicolaus Faber, Dominican. It was examined by Griesbach, Bloomfield. The text of the codex was published in 1837 (London) by Taylor. C. R. Gregory saw it in 1883. The manuscript was rebound in 1967.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 52.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 53
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: Hinrichs. p. 153.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1. London: George Bell & Sons. p. 210.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 54. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Codex Harleianus 5540 at the Britisch Library