|New Testament manuscript
|Name||Codex Vaticanus 757|
|Now at||Vatican Library|
|Size||30 cm by 22.5 cm|
Minuscule 138 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), A304 (Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment leaves. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 11th century. The manuscript is lacunose.
The codex contains the text of the four Gospels on 380 parchment leaves (size 30 cm by 22.5 cm), with a commentary, and minor lacunae. The text is written in one column per page, 37 lines per page.
It contains synaxaria, Menologion, and pictures. The tables of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) were added by a later hand before each Gospel. At the end of each Gospel were added subscriptions with numbers of verses. Mark 16:9-20 was marked by an obelus as doubtful.
The text of Matthew 1:1-4:11 was supplied by a later hand.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Aland placed it in Category V. According to the Claremont Profile Method it represents the textual family Kx in Luke 1. In Luke 10 and Luke 20 no profile was made.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 53.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 55.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1. London: George Bell & Sons. p. 213.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs. p. 157.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 55. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 157.
- Minuscule 138 at the Encyclopedia of Textual Criticism