|New Testament manuscript
Beginning of Acts
|Name||Codex Basilensis A.N.IV.5|
|Text||Acts, Paul, CE|
|Now at||Basel University Library|
|Size||15.4 x 11 cm|
Minuscule 2816 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), α597 (in von Soden numbering), formerly labelled as 4ap in all catalogs, but subsequently renumbered by Aland, is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, paleographically had been assigned to the 15th century.
The codex contains a complete text of the Acts of the Apostles, Pauline epistles, and General epistles (the Pauline epistles preceding the General), on 287 parchment leaves (15.4 by 11 cm) in elegant minuscule. The text is written in one column per page, 17-19 lines per page. It contains
Hardly written by several hands, and full of contractions.
The order of books; Acts of the Apostles, Pauline epistles, and Catholic epistles.
In Hebrews 3:3 it reads μεχρι τελους κατασχωμεν βεβαιαν for κατασχωμεν. The reading is supported only by itc.
History of the codex
The manuscript belonged to the monastery of the Preaching Friars. It was borrowed by Desiderius Erasmus and used by him in his edition of the Novum Testamentum (1516). Sometimes he used some of its marginal readings instead of main text readings (e.g. Acts 8:37; 15:34; 24:6-8). In result some of its readings became a part of the Textus Receptus.
- Kurt Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des neuen Testaments, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 212.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1. London: George Bell & Sons. p. 284.
- C. R. Gregory, "Textkritik des Neuen Testaments", Leipzig 1900, vol. 1, p. 263.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- NA26, p. 589
- UBS3, p. 752.
- Hermann von Soden, Die Schriften des Neuen Testaments, in ihrer ältesten erreichbaren Textgestalt hergestellt auf Grund ihrer Textgeschichte, Verlag von Arthur Glaue, Berlin 1902-1910.
- C. C. Tarelli, Erasmus’s Manuscripts of the Gospels, JTS XLIV (1943), 155-162.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 7 November 2011.