|New Testament manuscript
|Now at||New College|
|Size||19.8 cm by 14.5 cm|
|Note||member of the family Kr|
Minuscule 58 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 518 (Von Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment leaves. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 15th century. The manuscript has complex contents. It has marginalia.
The codex contains complete text of the four Gospels on 342 leaves (size 19.8 cm by 14.5 cm). The text is written in one column per page, 20-21 lines per page. Name of scribe Joannes Serbopulos. According to Scrivener it is carelessly written.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin (also in Latin), and their τιτλοι (titles) at the top of the pages. There is also another division according to the Ammonian Sections, but this system is used only partially.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Hermann von Soden classified it to the textual family Kx. Aland placed it in Category V. According to the Claremont Profile Method it represents Kr text in Luke 1, Luke 10, and Luke 20. Ii creates textual cluster with 56.
Ussher collated it for Walton's Polyglotte. It was examined by Mill (Nov. coll. 1), Wettstein in 1715, Dobbin, and C. R. Gregory (in 1883). Dobbin compared its readings with Codex Montfortianus and 56 in 1922 places. Gregory expressed the opinion that codices 47, 56, 58 are in the same hand, and one of them copied from 54.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 50.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 50.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: Hinrichs. p. 142.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 199.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. pp. 54, 92. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Orlando Dobbin, Collation of the Codex Montfortianus (London, 1854), p. 31-33.