Minuscule 876 (Gregory-Aland)
|New Testament manuscript
Folio 4 recto
|Text||Acts, Catholic epistles, Pauline epistles|
|Now at||University of Michigan|
|Size||15.5cm by 11cm|
Minuscule 876 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering) α 356 (Soden). It is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on 282 parchment leaves (15.5 cm by 11 cm). It is dated paleographically to the 12th century. Formerly it was labelled by 224a and 279p. Scrivener labelled it by 221a.
The codex contains the text of the Acts of the Apostles, Catholic epistles, and Pauline epistles. The text is written in one column per page, 20 lines per page in minuscule letters. It contains some interesting lectionary markings at the margin, subscriptions at the end of each sacred book, numbers of στιχοι, and images. The text of Hebrews 10:15-11:7 was supplied by a later hand on the paper.
The manuscript was purchased by Baroness Burdett-Coutts (1814–1906), a philanthropist, along with other Greek manuscripts (among them Lectionary 214-227). The manuscript was presented by Burdett-Coutts to Sir Roger Cholmely's School, and was housed at the Highgate (Burdett-Coutts III. 37), in London. C. R. Gregory saw it in 1886. Formerly it was labelled by 224a and 279p. In 1908 Gregory gave the number 876 to it.
In 1922 it was acquired for the University of Michigan. The manuscript was described by K. W. Clark.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 77.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 98.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs’sche Buchhandlung. p. 282.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Parker, Franklin (1995). George Peabody, a biography. Vanderbilt University Press. p. 107. ISBN 0826512569.
- Kenneth W. Clark, A Descriptive Catalogue of Greek New Testament Manuscripts in America (Chicago, 1937), pp. 316-317.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minuscule 876 (GA).|