This article does not cite any sources
. (December 2009)
||Look up minutiae in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Minutiae (; singular minutia ; both also pronounced ) are, in everyday English, minor or incidental details.
In biometrics and forensic science, minutiae are major features of a fingerprint, using which comparisons of one print with another can be made. Minutiae include:
- Ridge ending – the abrupt end of a ridge
- Ridge bifurcation – a single ridge that divides into two ridges
- Short ridge, or independent ridge – a ridge that commences, travels a short distance and then ends
- Island – a single small ridge inside a short ridge or ridge ending that is not connected to all other ridges
- Ridge enclosure – a single ridge that bifurcates and reunites shortly afterward to continue as a single ridge
- Spur – a bifurcation with a short ridge branching off a longer ridge
- Crossover or bridge – a short ridge that runs between two parallel ridges
- Delta – a Y-shaped ridge meeting
- Core – a U-turn in the ridge pattern