Minzy at the YG Family press conference in Singapore in 2014
January 18, 1994
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Baekseok Arts University|
|Revised Romanization||Gong Min-ji|
Gong Min-ji (Korean: 공민지; born January 18, 1994), better known by her stage name Minzy, is a South Korean singer, songwriter and dancer. She debuted in 2009 as a member of South Korean girl group 2NE1, which became one of the most popular and successful girl groups worldwide before her departure from the group in April 2016. She released her first solo EP, Minzy Work 01: "Uno", in April 2017.
Minzy was born in Seoul, South Korea on January 18, 1994. She is the granddaughter of folk dancer Gong Ok-jin. When she was young, she moved to Gwangju with her family, but then her mother brought Minzy and her brother back to Seoul while travelling between Seoul and Gwangju to work with Minzy's father. She participated in many dance contests and competitions, winning various awards. A video of her at a dance competition in Gwangju was uploaded onto the Internet, and became popular with many people sending praise for her ability to dance. This video was then uploaded onto YG's homepage, whereupon the CEO, Yang Hyun-suk, contacted and recruited her to join the agency when she was only in sixth grade.
YG Entertainment stated in early 2009 that they would be debuting a new four-member group that had been training for four years, and that their debut album would contain songs produced by 1TYM's leader Teddy Park and G-Dragon of Big Bang. The group's name was initially announced as "21"; however, due to the discovery of a singer with the same name, the group was renamed "2NE1", with "NE" being an abbreviation of "New Evolution". Minzy was placed in 2NE1 as the main dancer, alongside Park Bom, Sandara Park and CL. The group went on to debut with their first single "Fire" in May 2009, with Minzy being the youngest member at just 15 years old.
2016–present: Solo career and MZ Entertainment
In May 2016, Minzy signed with CJ E&M's subsidiary label Music Works. It was revealed that Minzy is currently preparing for her solo album and is interested in trying out different types of music and doesn't want to limit herself to one specific genre. Music Works stated, "We are focusing on producing a first solo album which can portray all of Gong Minzy's talent and potential. We will continue the preparations without being chased by time".
On January 17, 2017, a representative from KBS revealed that Minzy has been confirmed as a cast member of the second season of Sister's Slam Dunk together with Kim Sook, Hong Jin-kyung, Kang Ye-won, Han Chae-young, Hong Jin-young and Jeon So-mi. The show aired its first broadcast on February 10, where Minzy was appointed to become the main singer, main dancer, dance tutor, and choreographer for the second generation of Unnies by legendary producer and composer Kim Hyung Suk (mentor of JYP), and was voted as leader of the group on the third episode. She is also qualified to be the team's rap teacher, but due to her heavy workload, the role went to LA-born newcomer KillaGramz. In episode 12, she was named the rapping director as Kim Hyung Suk has no rapping knowledge, and named Hong Jin-young as the sole rapper of the group, with Jeon So-mi the rap lyricist for "Right?". In March 2017, Minzy released her first solo single, "I Wanted To Love" as the soundtrack of the MBC drama The Rebel.
On April 17, 2017, Minzy released her solo debut EP, Minzy Work 01. "Uno", along with title track "Ninano". The EP debuted at number 2 on the Billboard World Albums Chart as the highest-ranking debut before it fell to number 9 in the second week..
On December 1, 2018, Minzy released her first English language solo single, "All of You Say".
In October, she founded her own company MZ Entertainment and will carry out her future activities on her future agency.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Minzy Work 01: "Uno"||10||10||21||2||
As main artist
|"Please Don't Go" (with CL)||2009||30||—||N/A||To Anyone|
|"Ninano" (니나노) (featuring Flowsik)||2017||44||18||
||Minzy Work 01: Uno|
|"All of You Say"||2018||—||—||N/A||Non-album single|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
As featured artist
|"You Also" (그대도) (Ujam featuring Minzy)||2019||Non-album single|
|"I Wanted to Love"||2017||The Rebel|
|"I Miss You" (보고 싶다 with Sohyang)||The King of Mask Singer Episode 105|
|"Sick and Sick Name..." (아프고 아픈 이름...)|
|"Walking" (걸어가)||2018||Partners for Justice|
|2017||Sister's Slam Dunk||KBS||Cast|
|King of Mask Singer||MBC||Contestant as "A Richly-toned Perilla Leaf Girl"|
- Russell, Mark (2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 77. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "2NE1 on Breaking Chart Records, Turning 5 (Exclusive Video Interview)". Billboard. 2014-05-27. Retrieved 2020-07-27.
- Herman, Tamar (April 5, 2016). "K-Pop Group 2NE1 Becomes Trio Following Departure of Minzy". Billboard. Retrieved September 5, 2016.
- Herman, Tamar (April 19, 2017). "Former 2NE1 Member Minzy Debuts as Soloist With 'Minzy Work 01 Uno' EP". Billboard. Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- "Yg Entertainment".
- Jeff Benjamin (April 6, 2016). "Why Minzy was always 2NE1'S secret weapon". fuse.tv. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Tamar Herman (April 5, 2016). "K-Pop Group 2NE1 Becomes Trio Following Departure of Minzy". billboard.com. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- E. Alex Jung (April 5, 2016). "It's a Sad Day in K-Pop: Minzy Leaves 2NE1". vulture.com. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Lord Justin Castillo (April 16, 2016). "Minzy reportedly to have a new record label". newseveryday.com. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Maolen E. (May 18, 2016). "Ex-2NE1 member Minzy officially signs new record deal with Music Works". yibada.com. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Ash Krater (May 16, 2016). "2NE1 Ex-Member Minzy Puts YG Entertainment Behind Her, Officially Signs With Music Works". designntrend.com. Archived from the original on June 22, 2016. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Park, Sae-jin (April 17, 2017). "Former 2NE1 member Minzy debuts solo with 'NINANO'". ajudaily. Retrieved Oct 22, 2020.
- Benjamin, Jeff (April 26, 2017). "Minzy Sends Debut Solo EP to World, Heatseekers Albums Chart". Billboard. Retrieved Oct 22, 2020.
- Kim, Jae-min (December 3, 2018). "Minzy releases first English single "All of You Say"". www.koreaherald.com. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- "Minzy personally updates fans on bringing her legal dispute to a settlement + new beginning as a solo artist". allkpop. April 17, 2020.
- "Minzy gets over bad breakup by embracing her 'Lovely' self in solo comeback MV". allkpop. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- Hong, C. (Oct 22, 2020). "Minzy Sets Up Her Own Agency". soompi. Retrieved Oct 22, 2020.
- "Gaon Album Chart". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- "Minzy Work 01: "Uno" charting". April 16–22, 2017.
- "NZ Heatseekers: Minzy Work 01: Uno".
- "Top Heatseekers: Minzy Work 01: Uno".
- "World Albums: Minzy Work 01: Uno".
- 2017년 04월 Album Chart [April 2017 Album Chart]. Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Retrieved May 11, 2017.
- Peak chart positions for singles in South Korea:
- "Please Don't Go": "2010년 02주차 Digital Chart (2009.12.27~2010.01.02)" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on May 26, 2020. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "Ninano": "2017년 16주차 Digital Chart (2017.04.16~2017.04.22)" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on May 26, 2020. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "World Digital Songs". Billboard. 2013-01-02.
- "CL, 민지 - Please Don't Go (Digital Single)" (in Korean). Melon. Archived from the original on May 25, 2020. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "2017년 16주차 Download Chart (2017.04.16~2017.04.22)" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on May 26, 2020. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "Ujam, Minzy - 그대도 ([싱글])" (in Korean). Melon. Archived from the original on May 25, 2020. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- Kim Mi-hwa (April 2, 2017). "'복면가왕' 깻잎소녀는 공민지..2NE1아닌 솔로 첫무대". Star News (in Korean). Retrieved April 2, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gong Minzy.|