|Born||August 25, 1959|
|Net worth||€520 million|
Miodrag Kostić (Serbian Cyrillic: Миодраг Костић; born August 25, 1959) is a Serbian businessman. Kostić is the founder and owner of MK Group a diversified holding company focusing primarily on agribusiness. Kostić is currently the richest man in Serbia, with an average net worth of 520 million euros.
Early life and education
Kostić was born on August 25, 1959.
Kostić graduated from the University of Novi Sad Faculty of Economics in Novi Sad at the department of Information Technology in 1983.
In 1983 he began a private business – initially as an owner of a private company for trade, import-export and manufacturing activities which in 1995 grew into MK Group. Since 2000, MK Group system has sugar factories (factories Pećinci, Vrbas, Kovačica ), more than 10 agricultural enterprises, trade and warehouse complexes (“Granex-port”, “Žito Bačka”), which have been successfully restructured and integrated into a modern and highly profitable Serbian export-oriented companies.
Today, this is a system comprising 35 companies, employing more than 7000 employees, in Serbia and Ukraine achieving an annual turnover of over 500 million EUR. The largest part of MK Group’s operations pertain to the sugar industry, agricultural manufacturing, industry and trade of agricultural products. The head office is located in Belgrade while the affiliate companies can be found throughout Vojvodina and Serbia. Since 2006, the company has begun to expand its operations to countries in the region such as the Ukraine.
Sunoko, a member company of MK Group is one of the leading companies in sugar production both in Serbia and the region. Sunoko exports sugar into the following countries: Poland, Check Republic, Slovakia, Germany, Austria, Italia, England, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Cyprus, Georgia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia and Albania.
In addition, Kostić has invested in an apartment complex in Kopaonik. In 2009 he founded a new company, MK Mountain Resort, under whose auspices are the hotels Grand and Angella as well as the apartment complex Konaci and Sunčani vrhovi, as well as hotel 88 Rooms, a four – star boutique hotel in the center of Belgrade. The aim is to possess 10 four - star hotels in total in order to be more competitive both in the region and abroad.
Apart from tourism, new investments are made in developing renewable energy sources, whereby MK Fintel Wind established in 2007 and is one of the first companies in Serbia that has started “green energy production” using the wind powered generators and solar panels.
In 2011, MK Group took over "Carnex" (established in 1958), a leader in production of meat and meat products. Carnex exports its products into the following countries: Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Australia, Russia, Slovenia, Kazakhstan, Belorussia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia and Montenegro.
MK Group has donated around 220,000 EUR for the construction of a youth house in SOS Dečije selo (Children’s village) in Kraljevo. During the spring of 2012, on May 25, the cornerstone was laid while on September 24 the roof construction was mounted. On November 29, in less than 6 months, the keys to the home were handed over to SOS Dečije selo in Kraljevo. The President of Serbia attended the ceremony. Traditionally, Mk Group provides a free winter vacation to 30 of the best elementary school students from Kosovo. Some other humanitarian activities of MK Group were: a one million dinar donation for more humane living conditions for the most vulnerable; a donation of 24 tons of sugar to flooded areas in the Republic of Srpska; a donation in the amount of one million dinars to the Municipality of Trgovište intended for rehabilitation of the municipality in southern Serbia which was affected by floods; and aid for the most vulnerable in the municipality of Kraljevo, which was struck by an earthquake.
Kostić Family Foundation
Kostić founded the Kostić Family Foundation in June 2013 with his mother Roksanda by giving their family home as a present to the Provincial Institute for Protection of Health of Children and Young People of Vojvodina in Novi Sad and to the National Association of Childhood Cancer Parents of Serbia for their exclusive use.
Kostić transferred the ownership of the house to the Provincial Government of Vojvodina, which is responsible of using the house solely for the proposed purpose. The house has 1400 square meters and 16 acres of outdoor property.
The act of foundation was symbolically performed by Kostic giving the keys of the foundation to Bojan Pajtic, the President of the Provincial Government of Vojvodina who immediately gave them to Slobodan Grebeldinger, the director of the Children’s Hospital in Novi Sad.
Awards and recognition
- 1998 - MK Commerce was chosen as The best private company in Serbia,
- 1998 - Miodrag Kostić- one of the best ranked on The list of the most successful businessmen in Serbia,
- 1998 - Miodrag Kostić- one of the best ranked on The list of the most successful citizens of Novi Sad,
- 1999 - Miodrag Kostić- one of the best ranked on The list of the most successful businessmen in Serbia,
- 2001 - MK Commerce – The best private company in Serbia
- 2001 - Miodrag Kostić – one of the best ranked on The list of the most successful citizens of Novi Sad,
- 2001 - Miodrag Kostić - First ranked on The list of the most successful businessmen in Serbia,
- 2002 - Miodrag Kostić - Businessman of the Year, the Association of Journalists of Serbia,
- 2002 – Letter of Appreciation to the company MK Commerce for its contribution to the construction of the Memorial Temple of Saint Sava at the Vračar plateau.
- 2003 -Miodrag Kostić - The most successful entrepreneur, best private company in Serbia and the most popular citizen of Novi Sad,
- 2004 - MK Commerce, one of the best ranked on the list of the best private companies and the most popular citizen of Novi Sad,
- 2005 - Miodrag Kostić- one of the best ranked on the list of the most successful businessmen in Serbia
- 2007 – Plaquettes Gold partner to the company MK Commerce
- 2007 - Miodrag Kostić – one of the best ranked on the list of The most successful entrepreneurs and managers of Serbia,
- 2008 - Miodrag Kostić – First ranked on the list of the most successful businessmen in Serbia
- 2009 - Miodrag Kostić –“Belgrade Winner” Award for the entrepreneur of the year in Serbia
- 2009 – Letter of Appreciation to MK Group from Politika JSC and the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Serbia for a donation in the campaign for honoring the elementary and high school students in Serbia
- 2009 - Miodrag Kostić- PKB Corporation Award for businessman of the year in Serbia
- 2011 – “Gold Dinar of Emperor Dušan” Award of the Club of Economic Journalists to the company MK Group for the company of the decade in Serbia
- 2011 - Miodrag Kostić – Award for the “Best Manager of Southeastern and Central Europe” from the European Association of Managers
- 2012 – Award of the Novi Sad Fair for the “Best in Agribusiness” to the company MK Group for The best regional company in the field of agriculture
- 2012 – “Hero Company” Medal to MK Group for donating funds to humanitarian action “Struggle for Babies”
- 2012 – Letter of Appreciation of SOS Children's Village Kraljevo to the company MK Group for building the Youth House
- 2012 - Plaquettes OSSI for supporting Serbian students abroad
- 2013 – “Best in Agribusiness” Award of the Novi Sad Fair to MK Group for The best regional company in the field of agriculture
- 2013 – “Planet Business” Award to the President of MK Group, Miodrag Kostić, for years of successful management of the company
- 2013 - "My Choice" Award for the most socially responsible company in Serbia to MK Group for the project SOS Children's Village – the Youth House
- 2013 - "Superbrands" Awards to the company MK Group
- 2013 – “The Corporate Super Brand” Award for the leader in mountain tourism in Serbia
- 2014 - The “Brand Leader Award“ to MK Mountain Resort, at the 4th Business Conference “Sustainable Development and Competitiveness of Tourism in South East Europe – SEET 2014”
- 2014- "Superbrands" Award for the best brand in Serbia to Carnex
- 2015- “The Best Corporate Brand in Food Production” to Carnex
- 2015- “Business partner 2015” Award for providing the best banking services to AIK Bank
Memberships and functions
Mr. Kostić is the President of the Management Board of AIK Bank and for the second term - the President of the Serbian business club “PRIVREDNIK” which gathers 40 most successful entrepreneurs in Serbia. “Privrednik” cooperates with chambers of commerce and business associations in the country and abroad and the Government of the Republic of Serbia in order to improve entrepreneurship and management in Serbia and attract the investors from abroad.
He is also a member of a numerous local and international business associations such as AmCham, British-Serbian Chamber of Commerce, Serbian - Italian Business Council, Swiss- Serbian Business Association, Serbian Association of Managers (SAM), National Alliance for Local Economic Development (NALED), etc.
- "Serbia's MK Group May Cancel Bid for Hellenic Sugar, Kostic Says 30 Jan 2012 "MK Group d.o.o., a Serbian diversified holding company that focuses primarialy on agribusiness, may fall out of the race to acquire Greek sugar refiner ..."
- Serbia Times: MK Group Serbia, Mr.Kostic about overal Serbian ... 30 Dec 2011 – “There are no good banks without a good economy, and high export is needed if we want to have a strong and stable economy."
- ekapija MK Group plans to buy five Russian companies "MK Group plans to expand to Russian market through acquisition of five ... from MK Group's agribusiness sector - Miodrag Kostić, the President of MK Group, ..."
- Fred Pearce The Land Grabbers: The New Fight over Who Owns the Earth - 2012 "Serbian sugar tycoon Miodrag Kostic has 100,000 acres around Kiev. "
- Nina Wichmann -Democratisation Without Societal Participation? 2007 Page 103 "When the suspected key manipulator, Miodrag Kostic, was arrested at the Montenegrin-Croatian border in June 2004, the EU lifted the suspension and granted Serbia to reassume the preferential terms of trade in August 2004."
- "Pogledajte ko su najbogatiji Srbi i koliko su "teški"!" (in Serbian). Blic. 30 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- MK Group "MK Group je holding kompanija, jedan od najuspešnijih poslovnih sistema u Srbiji ... Tomislav Nikolić i predsednik MK Group Miodrag Kostić, svečano su uručili"
- MK Mountain Resort
- "MK Fintel Wind". MK Group. MK Group. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Amcham Serbia - Members' Success Stories