mir-103/107 microRNA precursor
|mir-103/107 microRNA precursor|
|RNA type||Gene; miRNA|
The miR-103 microRNA precursor (homologous to miR-107), is a short non-coding RNA gene involved in gene regulation. miR-103 and miR-107 have now been predicted or experimentally confirmed in human.
microRNAs are transcribed as ~70 nucleotide precursors and subsequently processed by the Dicer enzyme to give a ~22 nucleotide product. In this case the mature sequence comes from the 5' arm of the precursor. The mature products are thought to have regulatory roles through complementarity to mRNA.
mir-103 and mir-107 were noted as being upregulated in obese mice and were subsequently found to have a key role in insulin sensitivity. This led to a suggestion that these microRNAs represent potential targets for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
Recently, miR-103-3p was shown to target the 5' untranslated region (5' UTR) of GPRC5A's mRNA in pancreatic cancer. This is one of only a handful of known instances where a miRNA targets the 5' UTR of a mRNA.
- Mourelatos Z, Dostie J, Paushkin S, et al. (2002). "miRNPs: a novel class of ribonucleoproteins containing numerous microRNAs". Genes Dev. 16 (6): 720–8. doi:10.1101/gad.974702. PMC . PMID 11914277.
- "miRNA gene family: mir-103". mirBASE. University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 10 July 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- Ambros V (2001). "microRNAs: tiny regulators with great potential". Cell. 107 (7): 823–6. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(01)00616-X. PMID 11779458.
- Trajkovski, M; Hausser, J; Soutschek, J; Bhat, B; Akin, A; Zavolan, M; Heim, MH; Stoffel, M (Jun 8, 2011). "MicroRNAs 103 and 107 regulate insulin sensitivity". Nature. 474 (7353): 649–53. doi:10.1038/nature10112. PMID 21654750.
- Favereaux, A; Thoumine, O; Bouali-Benazzouz, R; Roques, V; Papon, MA; Salam, SA; Drutel, G; Léger, C; Calas, A; Nagy, F; Landry, M (Jul 29, 2011). "Bidirectional integrative regulation of Cav1.2 calcium channel by microRNA miR-103: role in pain". The EMBO Journal. 30 (18): 3830–41. doi:10.1038/emboj.2011.249. PMC . PMID 21804529.
- Liao, Y; Lönnerdal, B (Sep 23, 2010). Langsley, Gordon, ed. "Global MicroRNA Characterization Reveals That miR-103 Is Involved in IGF-1 Stimulated Mouse Intestinal Cell Proliferation". PLoS ONE. 5 (9): e12976. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0012976. PMC . PMID 20886090.
- Zhou, H; Rigoutsos, I (Jul 1, 2014). "MiR-103a-3p targets the 5′ UTR of GPRC5A in pancreatic cells". RNA. 20: 1431–9. doi:10.1261/rna.045757.114. PMC . PMID 24984703.