mir-192/215 microRNA precursor
|mir-192/215 microRNA precursor|
|RNA type||Gene; miRNA|
The miR-192 microRNA precursor (homologous to miR-215), is a short non-coding RNA gene involved in gene regulation. miR-192 and miR-215 have now been predicted or experimentally confirmed in mouse and human.
microRNAs are transcribed as ~70 nucleotide precursors and subsequently processed by the Dicer enzyme to give a ~22 nucleotide product. In this case the mature sequence comes from the 5' arm of the precursor. The mature products are thought to have regulatory roles through complementarity to mRNA.
mir-192 and mir-215 are thought to be positive regulators of p53, a human tumour suppressor. They are also overexpressed in gastric cancer, and could be used as biomarkers or therapeutic targets. It has also been suggested that mir-192 could be used as a biomarker for drug-induced liver damage.
- Lagos-Quintana M, Rauhut R, Meyer J, Borkhardt A, Tuschl T (Feb 2003). "New microRNAs from mouse and human". Rna. 9 (2): 175–9. doi:10.1261/rna.2146903. PMC . PMID 12554859.
- "miRNA gene family: mir-192". mirBASE. University of Manchester.[permanent dead link]
- Ambros V (Dec 2001). "microRNAs: tiny regulators with great potential". Cell. 107 (7): 823–6. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(01)00616-X. PMID 11779458.
- Pichiorri F, Suh SS, Rocci A, De Luca L, Taccioli C, Santhanam R, Zhou W, Benson DM, Hofmainster C, Alder H, Garofalo M, Di Leva G, Volinia S, Lin HJ, Perrotti D, Kuehl M, Aqeilan RI, Palumbo A, Croce CM (Oct 2010). "Downregulation of p53-inducible microRNAs 192, 194, and 215 impairs the p53/MDM2 autoregulatory loop in multiple myeloma development". Cancer Cell. 18 (4): 367–81. doi:10.1016/j.ccr.2010.09.005. PMC . PMID 20951946.
- Jin Z, Selaru FM, Cheng Y, Kan T, Agarwal R, Mori Y, Olaru AV, Yang J, David S, Hamilton JP, Abraham JM, Harmon J, Duncan M, Montgomery EA, Meltzer SJ (Mar 2011). "MicroRNA-192 and -215 are upregulated in human gastric cancer in vivo and suppress ALCAM expression in vitro". Oncogene. 30 (13): 1577–85. doi:10.1038/onc.2010.534. PMC . PMID 21119604.
- Wang K, Zhang S, Marzolf B, Troisch P, Brightman A, Hu Z, Hood LE, Galas DJ (Mar 2009). "Circulating microRNAs, potential biomarkers for drug-induced liver injury". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 106 (11): 4402–7. doi:10.1073/pnas.0813371106. PMC . PMID 19246379.