|Country of origin||Russia|
|Headquarters location||Moscow, Russia|
Mir Publishers (Russian: Издательство "Мир") was a major publishing house in the Soviet Union which continues to exist in modern Russian Federation. It was established in 1946 by a decree of the USSR Council of Ministers and has headquartered in Moscow, Russia since then. It was completely state funded, which was the reason for the low prices of the books it published.
Its scope was domestic and translated special and tutorial literature in various domains of science and engineering: mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, agriculture, transport, energy, etc. Many Soviet scientists and engineers were its contributors. The staff provided translation from original Russian. In addition, during the Soviet times it was known for translated foreign scientific and popular science books as well as science fiction. Many of Mir's books were and are used as textbooks for studies of science in many countries.
The publishing house survived after the dissolution of the Soviet Union and was eventually privatised and later expanded its scope by incorporating a number of state publishing houses: Kolos (Колос), Transport (Транспорт), Khimiya (Химия), Metallurgiya (Металлургия), Legprombitizdat (Легпромбытиздат), and Energoatomizdat (Энергоатомиздат).
- Foreign trade, Issues 7-12, Ministerstvo vneshneĭ torgovli (U.S.S.R. Ministry of Foreign Trade), 1984, ... Large orders for the books of the Mir Publishers were received from the Afghan, Indian, Mexican, English, French, Italian, Dutch and other firms. Foreign firms placed large orders for text-books, manuals and dictionaries ...
- Indian book industry, Volume 30, Institute of Book Publishing, Federation of Indian Publishers, Sterling Publishers, 1984, ... Various textbooks, teachnical manuals and aids brought out by Mir Publishers are becoming increasingly popular in India. Upon the request of Indian Book Industry, Vladimir Kartsev, D.Sc. (Tech.), Mir's director, tells about this Soviet publishing house's work ...
- Directory of book trade in India, National Guide Books Syndicate, 1973, ... Many of the titles already issued by the Mir Publishers have been accepted as textbooks and manuals at educational establishments in India and other countries ... textbooks for universities, technical schools and vocational schools; literature on the natural sciences and medicine, including textbooks for medical schools and schools for nurses; popular science and science fiction ...
- Company profile (in Russian) (Note: its domain, mir-publishers.net, is squatted)
- Case А40-80225/05-73-254Б of the Arbitration Court of Moscow
- Case Определение Арбитражного суда Москвы от 02 июня 2009 по делу № А40-80225/05-73-254Б[permanent dead link]