Mir of Hunza
The Mir used to have the Burushaski title of Thum (also Tham or Thom), later changed to Mir. In 1974 the state became a part of Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan under the Pakistani Federal Government. The last Mir of Hunza was Mir Muhammad Jamal Khan. In the years to follow, the title of Mir was used as symbol of respect for the former Mirs of Hunza. Consequently, Mir Mohammad Jamal Khan's eldest son, Mir Ghazanfar Ali Khan (born 31 December 1945) uses the title of Mir on his official documents. Amongst other benefits to the former rulers, the federal Government also pays a privy purse or a monthly stipend to the current Mir Ghazanfar Ali Khan. The family is also allowed to retain the former vehicle number plates bearing 'Hunza'.
After the abolishment of Hunza State, the Northern Areas, now known as Gilgit-Baltistan region fell under the jurisdiction of the federal government. Mir Ghazanfar Ali Khan contested the elections several times from his hometown of Karimabab, Hunza and served as a member of the Gilgit-Baltistan Assembly. His last position of prominence was becoming the Leader of the House and the first Chief Minister of Gilgit-Baltistan under the rule of President Musharraf.
In the general election of 2009, Mir Ghazanfar's son, Prince Shehryar Khan (born 5 June 1977) contested the election in place of his father but did not succeed in securing the majority votes from the region; however, he won by a majority in his hometown of Karimabad, Hunza.
- The Changing Northern Areas
- Pakistan's Northern Areas dilemma
- Northern Areas Development Gateway
- Pakistan's Northern Areas
- Northern Pakistan's Karakoram & Hindukush Mountains
- The Mountain Areas Conservancy Project
- Not ‘Mir of Hunza’ An anti-Mir letter to the editor: one man's opinion, and of undetermined significance.
- Welcome To Hunza Valley Heaven On The Earth In Northern Areas Of Pakistan. Enjoy Burushaski Music Songs,Shinaki Music Songs online with The http://www.hunza.20m.com
|This Pakistan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|