|Minister of Defence|
10 May 2007
|Prime Minister||Alexander Ankvab
Vladimir Delba (Acting)
|Preceded by||Sultan Sosnaliyev|
3 August 1961 |
Ochamchire, Soviet Union
Mirab Boris-ipa Kishmaria (Abkhaz: Мираб Борис-иҧа Кишьмариа, Georgian: მერაბ ქიშმარია, Russian: Мира́б Бори́сович Кишма́рия) is the current Minister of Defence of the Republic of Abkhazia, which enjoys only limited recognition internationally.
Early life and career
Mirab Kishmaria was born 3 August 1961 in Ochamchire in what was then the Abkhazian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic. In 1984 he graduated from the Almaty general command college. From June 1987 until February 1989 Kishmaria fought with the 40th division of the Soviet army in Afghanistan. During the 1992-1993 War in Abkhazia, Kishmaria was commander of the eastern front of the Abkhazian army, in the Ochamchire district.
On 22 March 2005 Mirab Kishmaria was appointed First Deputy Minister of Defence. After Sultan Sosnaliyev resigned as Defence Minister on 8 May 2007, Kishmaria became acting Minister of Defence on 10 May. He was appointed permanently to the post on 26 June.
Mirab Kishmaria is married to a Georgian wife, they have 11 children. Out of these, seven fought in the 1992-1993 war with Georgia, and two died therein.
- Лакоба, Станислав (2004). "Абхазия после двух империй XIX—XXI вв." // 21st Century COE Program Slavic Eurasian Studies — No. 5. Sapporo: Slavic Research Center, Hokudai University.
- "IMG_4710-250.jpg". Администрация Президента Республики Абхазия. Retrieved 15 December 2008.
- "История партии". Amtsakhara.org. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Министр обороны". Кабинет Министров Республики Абхазия. Retrieved 2 April 2011.
- "Кишмария Мераб Борисович". Caucasian Knot. 4 August 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "Абхазия обогнала Россию по количеству министерств: интервью кандидата в президенты Сергея Багапш". 2 September 2004. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
|Minister of Defence
|This Abkhazian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|