Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir|
|Also known as||
|Created by||Thomas Astruc|
|Written by||Thomas Astruc
|Theme music composer||Jeremy Zag and Noam Kaniel; Lyrics by Alain Garcia|
|Opening theme||"It's Ladybug!", performed by Wendy Child and Cash Callaway|
|Ending theme||"It's Ladybug!" (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||France|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|First shown in||South Korea|
|Original release||1 September 2015– present|
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (French: Miraculous, les aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir; also known as Miraculous Ladybug or Miraculous) is a French CGI action/adventure animated series produced by Zagtoon and Method Animation. The series features two Parisian teenagers, Marinette Dupain-Cheng and Adrien Agreste, who transform into the superheroes Ladybug and Cat Noir, respectively, to protect the city from supervillains.
Prior to its debut in France on 19 October 2015 on TF1, the series was first shown in South Korea on 1 September 2015 on EBS1. In the United States, the series debuted on Nickelodeon on 6 December. In the United Kingdom and Ireland, the show premiered on 30 January 2016 on Disney Channel. On 20 November 2015, producer Jeremy Zag announced that a second and third season were in progress. On September 1, 2016, in honor of the show's 1 year anniversary, Zag announced that season 2 would premiere on May 2017.
Set in modern-day Paris, the series focuses on teenagers[a] Marinette Dupain-Cheng and her classmate and crush Adrien Agreste. When evil arises, Marinette transforms into her secret superhero persona Ladybug, while Adrien transforms into his superhero persona Cat Noir, using powerful objects known as the Miraculous. Oblivious to each other's true identities, the two work together to protect Paris from the mysterious villain Hawk Moth, who covets and attempts to steal their powers by using his akuma, butterflies infused with black energy, to influence and transform everyday citizens into supervillains.
Conception and creation
The series is based on an original concept created by French animator Thomas Astruc, who was inspired by a meeting with a certain lady, Japanese anime, and "decades of comics binge reading". In an interview with Nolife, Astruc said he was working as an animator on the show W.I.T.C.H. when he met a woman who had a T-shirt with a ladybug on it. They began to share drawings, some of which were ladybug-themed. Astruc also noted that Marinette's hair was styled after the woman. They also worked on the cartoon A.T.O.M. around 2004–05. Astruc first drew Ladybug on sticky notes and remarked how strong the Ladybug character was, but despite this, he had no memory of seeing any ladybug-themed superheroes in comics.
Astruc had intended to make Ladybug a comic book series until he met Jeremy Zag, who loved the project and wanted to produce it as a cartoon; Zag was 25 at the time and not originally from the cartoon industry. In developing Cat Noir, Astruc said that ladybugs represented good luck, so it was natural to partner her with a black cat character with bad luck powers. Cat Noir was a tribute to comics characters like Catwoman, so it was like having Catwoman and Spider-Man in the same show but reversed. In 2010, the show was announced at Cannes' MIPCOM with French production groups Univergroup Pictures and Onyx Films heading the project and working with Method Animation and Zagtoon. Aton Soumache of Onyx and Method said that they want "to create a glamourous superhero character with a real European flair with Paris as [the] backdrop." The producers had also planned to animate it in stereoscopic 3D.
A character named Félix was originally going to have the role of Cat Noir, but he was later scrapped in favor of Adrien because the creative team felt that Félix was a cliché of a male anime protagonist, and that Adrien would allow them to tell more interesting stories. In September 2015, Astruc indicated that he was open to revisiting the character of Félix, but abandoned it by February 2016, writing that the character was a poor idea.
In June 2012, Toei Animation in Japan was announced as a co-producer. Toei Animation had released a Pretty Cure film that was set in Paris, and was interested in expanding their international audience. Even after the production was moved to CGI animation, Toei remained as co-producer, with executive producers from the company being credited.
On 21 November 2012, a memorandum of understanding between Zagtoon, Method Animation, SAMG Animation and SK Broadband was announced: together, the companies would invest $50 million USD through 2017 into five projects. The first of these projects developed into Miraculous, which received an investment of $10 million. As a part of the deal, SK Broadband would have exclusive rights in South Korea for video on demand release, available to the subscribers of the company's IPTV platform B TV.
When Toei Animation joined as a co-producer in June 2012, it was also announced that the show would be drawn in a colourful manga-like style. Later in September, Toei released a traditionally-animated promotional video for Ladybug. The video featured Marinette as Ladybug and a (now-scrapped) different character named Félix as Cat Noir.
The anime concept was successful; however, there were concerns about the marketability of traditional 2D, and the difficulty in animating Ladybug's costume of red with black spots, as it caused some strobing effects. Executive producer Jared Wolfson said that Zag wanted the animation to be more cinematic and epic, unique and different, but said that they are continuing to partner with Toei as it brings in the Asian inspiration and that a 2D version might be a potential product.
The aforementioned problem with 2D animation was resolved by moving to CGI animation; the switch also allowed for the use of mobile camera angles. SAMG Animation, a CGI animation studio located in South Korea which officially joined in the production in November 2012, produced modeling and animation. Astruc and assistant director Wilfried Pain instructed the animators not to improvise scenes so that they could keep things consistent and understandable. Pain estimated about 350-400 shots are used in a typical 20-minute episode; with 10 panels per shot, that makes up to 4000 panels an episode. Wolfson said that the show's animation brings dynamic camera angles and texturing. A trailer with the new CGI-animated style was released in October 2013.
Themes, writing and process
The concept for the show originally dealt with political themes, geared towards teens and young adults. However, after failing to gain traction with networks, it was retooled for a younger target audience.:40 Astruc said that he is delighted that the show is able to reach younger and older people.
Each episode takes around 3 months to write, from scratch to final validation of broadcasters. Assistant director Wilfried Pain said that each episode is composed of two parts: a sitcom aspect where the characters have to speak for themselves, and an action element where the camera is always moving.
The music was done by Noam Kaniel, who had also worked on Power Rangers. The theme song was written by Kaniel and Zag. The English lyrics were done by Alain Garcia and performed by Wendy Child and Cash Callaway.
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng (voiced by Cristina Vee in English version, Anouck Hautbois in French version) is an aspiring fashion designer at Collège Françoise-Dupont. Marinette is sweet, joyful, and a bit awkward, but respected by her peers. She has a big crush on Adrien, whom she can barely speak to out of nervousness and embarrassment; her best friend Alya is often seen trying to help Marinette declare her love to him, although it ends in disaster. She can transform into the superheroine Ladybug with the help of her Kwami, Tikki, to defend Paris with her crime-fighting partner Cat Noir. Her special superpower, Lucky Charm, creates an object and allows her to identify other key objects that she can use with the created object to defeat the villains. Among the superheroes that use Miraculous, she is responsible for capturing and purifying the akuma butterflies. As Ladybug, she brushes off Cat Noir's advances, unaware that Cat Noir's alter-ego is the source of her own affections. Astruc describes Ladybug as a positive character who brings happiness, like a candy, and like Amélie Poulain crossed with Spider-Man.
- Adrien Agreste (voiced by Bryce Papenbrook in English version, Benjamin Bollen in French version) is Marinette's classmate and a popular fashion model for his father's clothing company. He transforms into the superhero Cat Noir (French: Chat Noir, lit. "black cat") with the help of his Kwami, Plagg, to assist Ladybug in saving Paris. Adrien is kind and well-liked, and hangs out often with his best friend Nino. Though his family is wealthy, he laments his poor relationship with his stern father, Gabriel; his mother, meanwhile, has disappeared.[b] He is in love with Ladybug, despite not knowing her true identity, and tries to impress her, although he makes bad jokes and cat-themed puns as Cat Noir, which frequently annoy her. His special ability, Cataclysm, allows him to destroy an object that he touches with a swipe of his paw.[c][d]
- Tikki (voiced by Mela Lee in English version, Marie Nonenmacher in French version) is Marinette's Kwami who allows her to transform into Ladybug. Tikki is a small floating magical humanoid with a large head, big eyes, and a red body with large black spots on her head, resembling a ladybug. She believes strongly in Marinette and gives her advice to be the best she can be, regardless of transformation. When asked by Marinette whether she is over 5000 years old, Tikki replies that she is older than that, and had watched over every Ladybug since the beginning.[e] During her charge's transformation as Ladybug, she inhabits the Ladybug Miraculous, a pair of shiny black earrings that Marinette wears. One of the two strongest of the Miraculouses, it has the power of creation. Astruc has written on Twitter that Tikki means "happiness".
- Plagg (voiced by Max Mittelman in English version, Thierry Kazazian in French version) is Adrien's Kwami who enables him to transform into Cat Noir. Plagg looks much like Tikki, but with a black body, green eyes and pointed ears, resembling a black cat. Unlike Tikki, however, Plagg is sarcastic and lazy. His favorite food is camembert, a stinky cheese. During his charge's transformation as Cat Noir, he inhabits the Black Cat Miraculous, a large silver ring that Adrien wears on his right hand. One of the two strongest of the Miraculouses, it has the power of destruction. Astruc has written on Twitter that Plagg means "plague".
- Hawk Moth (French: le Papillon, lit. "the butterfly"; voiced by Keith Silverstein in English version, Antoine Tomé in French version) is a mysterious villain who has the power to create new super-villains with his akuma, which are butterflies that he corrupts with his dark power. He preys on people who are at a point of weakness and appeals to their negative emotions, such as fear, sadness, anger or jealousy. In exchange for granting them powers to exact revenge on those who have wronged them, he asks his villains to steal Ladybug and Cat Noir's Miraculouses for him, so that he may use both to gain immense power. He possesses the Moth Miraculous. Long believed to be lost, its original purpose is to create superheroes, but because Hawk Moth has it, he is able to use the power of both Miraculous and its Kwami for his plans.
- Chloé Bourgeois (voiced by Selah Victor in English version, Marie Chevalot in French version) is the mayor's daughter and a classmate of Marinette and Adrien. Chloé is extremely mean, snobby, spoiled and thinks the world revolves around her. She often bullies and ridicules her classmates, resulting in the latter's sadness and despair and becoming a target for Hawk Moth's transforming them into villains. She has an unrequited crush on Adrien, and often tries to charm and kiss him, much to his discomfort, and resulting in a constant rivalry with Marinette for his affections. Like the other students, she has no knowledge of Ladybug's identity, and is a big fan of Ladybug, often trying to take pictures with her; she even has a Ladybug costume. In the episode "Antibug", she herself is influenced by Hawk Moth and becomes the supervillain Antibug, who wants revenge on Ladybug for pushing her aside. In the episode "Ladybug & Cat Noir - Origins, Part 1", it is revealed that she has been classmates with Marinette for four consecutive years.[f]
- Alya Césaire (voiced by Carrie Keranen in English version, Fanny Bloc in French version) is Marinette's best friend who typically wears a plaid shirt and black glasses. She constantly helps Marinette with her problems, most of which pertain to Marinette attempting, and failing, to speak to Adrien; she is often seen encouraging and helping her to talk to him. She aspires to be a journalist and is in charge of the school blog. She is a big fan of superheroes and like her peers, is a massive fan of Ladybug; she even operates a fansite known as the Ladyblog, but like everyone else, is unaware of Marinette's superhero identity. In the episode "Lady Wifi", she is influenced by Hawk Moth and becomes the supervillain Lady Wifi. Alya's family name is Césaire, her family originally from Martinique, a French overseas territory in the Caribbean. Her mother works as a chef at the Grand Paris hotel.
- Nino Lahiffe (voiced by Benjamin Diskin in English version, Alexandre Nguyen in French version) is Adrien's best friend who dresses in skate punk fashion, typically seen with headphones around his neck and a cap on his head. He DJs at the school's radio station. Nino is fond of Marinette, but ultimately discovers that he has more in common with Alya.[g] In the episode "The Bubbler", he is influenced by Hawk Moth and becomes the supervillain the Bubbler. When asked about Alya and Nino's ethnicity, Astruc wrote on Twitter that one of them was from Réunion, and later wrote that Alya was from Martinique.
- Marinette's parents who operate the renowned bakery that the family lives above. Tom is a burly French man who is very passionate about his baking and loves to play video games with his daughter. Sabine is a petite Chinese woman who runs the storefront, and is known for her love and warmth towards her family and her city.
- Sabrina is Chloé's only friend and her de facto assistant. Chloé often treats Sabrina as her lackey: Sabrina does Chloé's homework for her and runs her errands, and in return, Chloé charms her with expensive, fashionable clothing. She has orange hair and wears glasses. In the episode "Antibug", Sabrina is angry at Chloé for ignoring her, and becomes influenced by Hawk Moth, turning into the supervillain the Vanisher, who is invisible to the human eye. Astruc wrote on Twitter that Chloé, Sabrina and another classmate named Alix were originally intended to become a trio as a reference to the title characters in another French animated series, Totally Spies!.
||It has been suggested that this section be split out into another article. (Discuss) (March 2016)|
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
French Title 
|Directed by||Written by||Original air date (France)||U.S. air date ||Prod.
|Thomas Astruc||Fred Lenoir||19 October 2015||20 December 2015||101||1.46|
Marinette Dupain-Cheng is babysitting a child named Manon when her best friend Alya visits her. Alya tells Marinette that her crush, Adrien Agreste, is having a photoshoot nearby and takes them to see him. Meanwhile, Aurore Borell has just lost to her competitor, Mireille Jattée, to become the next weather forecaster. Infuriated, she becomes influenced by the villain Hawk Moth and turns into 'Stormy Weather', a villain who controls the weather. When Stormy wrecks havoc on Paris and interrupts the photoshoot, Marinette transforms into her secret super-hero persona, 'Ladybug'. At the same time, Adrien transforms into his secret super-hero persona, 'Cat Noir'. Together, they work to defeat Stormy.
|Thomas Astruc||Thomas Astruc
|20 October 2015||6 December 2015||109||1.40|
It is Adrien's birthday and Marinette is struggling to give him the present she made for him. When Adrien's father won't allow Adrien to have a birthday party, his best friend Nino becomes angry about how unfair he's being towards Adrien. Claiming that all parents want to stop kids from having fun, Nino becomes influenced by Hawk Moth's power and turns into 'Bubbler', a villain who sends all the parents into outer space through his bubbles.
|Thomas Astruc||Cédric Bacconnier||21 October 2015||10 January 2016||115||1.11|
Marinette accidentally drops her history textbook while transformed as Ladybug. Alya, who happened to be at the scene, trying to film Ladybug in action, picks up the book, and speculates that Ladybug could be a Parisian collégienne. Marinette starts to panic when she finds out, and by Tikki's suggestion, brings Alya to visit a new Pharaoh exhibition at the Louvre, in order to try to get the book back. As they arrive, Alix's brother, Jalil, is discussing with his father about how one of the exhibitions on display is a resurrection spell. He believes that it could work, and wants to try it out, but Jalil's father gets angry and claims that such an important historical artifact cannot be misused. Angry that his father does not believe him, Jalil becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into the Pharaoh, a villain with Egyptian god powers who intends to bring back Nefertiti. In this episode, we are told that there was a long line of Ladybugs going back over 5,000 years. Marinette is the latest.
|4||"Lady Wifi"||Thomas Astruc||Sébastien Thibaudeau||22 October 2015||17 January 2016||103||1.43|
Alya is out to expose Ladybug's true identity when she finds Chloé with Ladybug's yo-yo and mask. But when Alya attempts to take a photo of Chloé's open locker for evidence, Chloé accuses her of invasion of privacy, and has the principal suspend her. Alya becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Lady Wifi, a villain whose smartphone can fire different icons such as pause and lock, who can travel through wifi-serviced phones, and who stops at nothing to expose Ladybug, including invading Chloé's apartment.
|Thomas Astruc||Sébastien Thibaudeau
|23 October 2015||27 December 2015||116||1.17|
Marinette's parents are celebrating their twentieth anniversary, leaving Marinette to take care of one of her father's special cake orders. However, she gets a call from Alya, who reminds her to bring a banner she made for a race between two of her classmates, Alix and Kim, and rushes off to Trocadéro. Alix has received a family heirloom pocket watch for her fifteenth birthday, and passes it to Alya to safeguard it for her while racing. However, during the race, the watch passes hands multiple times, before it is dropped by Chloé onto the ground and skated over by Alix, destroying the watch. Angry at her friends, Alix becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Timebreaker, a speedy villain who freezes people with a touch to get energy to travel back through time.
|Thomas Astruc||Guillaume Mautalent
|23 October 2015||13 December 2015||106||1.09|
A fashion competition is to be held at Marinette's school where the winner will have their derby hat worn by none other than Adrien Agreste. Marinette is determined to win in the hope that Adrien will then notice her. Meanwhile, Officer Roger, a police officer, orders Xavier Ramier, a pigeon-loving man, to stop feeding the pigeons and to leave the park. Dejected, Xavier becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Mr. Pigeon, a villain who controls massive flocks of pigeons.
|Thomas Astruc||Matthieu Choquet||26 October 2015||24 January 2016||102||1.18|
Nathaniel is daydreaming in class of being a superhero who is rescuing his crush, Marinette, from Stormy Weather and Lady Wifi. Soon embarrassed by Chloé for his comic drawings of his daydream, he becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into the Evillustrator, a villain whose drawings come to life.
|8||"Rogercop"||Thomas Astruc||Denis Bardiau||27 October 2015||31 January 2016||111||1.18|
During parents' Career Day in Marinette's class, Chloé loses an expensive bracelet and accuses Marinette of stealing it, as she had just slipped over Chloé's bag. Mr Bourgeois, Chloé's father, orders Officer Roger, Sabrina's father, to arrest Marinette and search her belongings. Officer Roger, however, refuses, saying that he cannot do that, unless there is evidence Marinette stole Chloé's bracelet, as it is against the law. As a result, Mr. Bourgeois, who is the Mayor of Paris, fires Officer Roger. Angry at the mayor for asking him to disobey the law and firing him, Roger becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Rogercop, a RoboCop-themed villain who wants to bring justice to those who break the law.
|Thomas Astruc||Sébastien Thibaudeau
|28 October 2015||3 January 2016||108||1.29|
Attempting to ask Adrien out to the movies over the phone, Marinette instead accidentally leaves behind an embarrassing voicemail and rushes to delete it before he listens to it. Meanwhile, an artist named Theo is revealing a statue in the park, which he built in honor of Ladybug and Cat Noir. He has a crush on Ladybug and is looking forward to seeing her at the unveiling event, but only Cat Noir ends up arriving. After the event, Cat Noir insinuates to Theo that he and Ladybug are a "thing", in a romantic relationship. Jealous and upset, Theo becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Copycat, an exact replica of Cat Noir.
|Thomas Astruc||Régis Jaulin||29 October 2015||7 February 2016||105||1.27|
|It's Valentine's Day and love is in the air! After reading a love poem thrown away by Adrien, Marinette comes to the conclusion that the poem is about her, making her ecstatic. Meanwhile one of her classmates, Kim, is planning to ask his crush to be his Valentine. Marinette, in her love-sick daze, encourages Kim to go for it. When Kim sees his crush, he is humiliated and rejected cruelly. Heartbroken, Kim is influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into 'Dark Cupid', a villain whose arrows can replace true love and friendship with pure hate and mean-spiritedness.|
|11||"Horrificator"||Thomas Astruc||Fred Lenoir||30 October 2015||21 February 2016||117||1.13|
|Nino is filming a movie in his classroom for a film contest, but Mylène, his classmate and one of the actors, is unsure about her ability as the leading actress, as she is easily frightened. After many failed attempts of shooting a single scene, Chloé makes fun of her fright and Mylène flees the classroom in tears. Disappointed in herself, Mylène becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Horrificator, a monster who scares people and feeds on their fear.|
"Le Chevalier Noir"
|Thomas Astruc||Matthieu Choquet
Léonie de Rudder
|6 December 2015||28 February 2016||114||1.06|
After finding out that Chloé has been blackmailing people from running against her as the class representative, Marinette decides to nominate herself for the position. Wanting to prevent Marinette from winning, Chloé organizes an autograph session by rock musician Jagged Stone to bribe her classmates into voting for her. When Marinette finds out about the autograph session and leaves her home to intervene, Chloé sends Sabrina to Marinette's home, in hopes of finding something humiliating which can be used against Marinette. Meanwhile, Armand D'Argencourt, Collège Françoise-Dupont's fencing teacher, has just lost the Paris mayoral elections by a landslide defeat. In anger and humiliation, he becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Darkblade, an armored black knight, who zaps people and knights them, transforming them into an army of armored knights to take over Paris.
|Thomas Astruc||Thomas Astruc
|13 December 2015||7 May 2016||119||N/A|
Alya shows Marinette a video she recorded of Ladybug talking to her, but Marinette accidentally deletes it. Before Alya finds out, Marinette steals her phone and frantically tries to re-create the footage. Meanwhile, Mylène's father, Fred Haprèle, is getting his first major performance at the Eiffel Tower. However, his partner Chris deliberately makes him late, and convinces their manager Sarah (named Josiane in French version) to let Chris take the lead role instead. Disheartened, Fred becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into the Mime, a supervillain who can pantomime anything to make it reality.
|14||"Kung Food"||Thomas Astruc||Matthieu Choquet
|10 January 2016||10 September 2016||125||N/A|
Marinette's great uncle, the world-renowned Chinese chef Wang Cheng, visits Paris to participate in a cooking show called The Greatest Chef in the World. Before the competition begins, Marinette and Adrien run into Chloé, who is on the judges' panel. Chloé mocks Cheng for being a foreigner, and in retaliation, Marinette fires back with her own insults. Chloé sabotages Cheng's famous Celestial Soup, causing him to get poor results in front of the judges. Confused and upset, Cheng becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Kung Food, a villain who enslaves those who had eaten his ruined soup and who plans to cook Chloé in the soup.
|Thomas Astruc||Morade Rahni||17 January 2016||24 September 2016||112||N/A|
|Collège Françoise-Dupont is sending two students to represent them at a video game tournament, where they will compete with other schools in a fighting game known as Ultimate Mega Strike III. After Marinette notices that Adrien is one of the potential candidates, she participates in the selections in order to be able to team up with Adrien. She manages to defeat another candidate, her classmate Max, who has been training for the tournament for a whole year and was looking forward to participating. Angry about all his gaming training gone to waste, Max becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into the Gamer, a villain who uses a pyramid-shaped mecha-like ship, from the Ultimate Mega Strike III game that zaps people and objects, turning them into green "experience point" balls, which upgrades his ship.|
|16||"Animan"||Thomas Astruc||Cédric Perrin
|24 January 2016||13 August 2016||113||N/A|
|Nino has a crush on Marinette, and so Adrien tries to help him by asking her out to the zoo. Marinette thinks Adrien is asking her out and happily accepts. However, when at the zoo, Nino and Marinette are the only ones to show up; Adrien and Alya, meanwhile, are hiding out in bushes nearby, helping the two talk to each other by instructing them via earpiece. Meanwhile, Marinette's classmate Kim mocks the new black panther in the zoo, claiming to the zookeeper, Otis that he can run faster than it. Enraged by his remarks, Otis becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Animan, a supervillain who can shape-shift into any animal he desires including extinct species.|
|17||"Antibug"||Thomas Astruc||Sébastien Thibaudeau||31 January 2016||TBA||TBA||N/A|
|Chloé is being harassed by something invisible, and Adrien and Marinette are immediately on the case. After talking with the concierge of the Grand Paris hotel, where Chloé lives, they discover Chloé had a fight with Sabrina, and had claimed that Sabrina is no longer her friend and is completely invisible to her. Heartbroken over her words, Sabrina was influenced by Hawk Moth, turning into the Vanisher. As Ladybug and Cat Noir fight the Vanisher, who has just shown up, Chloé decides to join in, donning a fake Ladybug costume. However, this only causes the fight to get more difficult and Ladybug forces Chloé to leave, claiming that she is endangering everyone by staying. Chloé tries to tell Ladybug that the akuma is in Sabrina's rose brooch, but Ladybug does not listen, thinking that she is lying. Only when Chloé has left the scene does Ladybug realize that Chloé was right all along, but despite this, Ladybug does not apologize to Chloé. Feeling betrayed by her idol, Chloé becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Antibug, a darker, opposite version of Ladybug.|
|Thomas Astruc||Sébastien Thibaudeau||7 February 2016||TBA||118||N/A|
|Marinette is babysitting Manon. They are playing with hand-crafted dolls that Marinette made herself, Marinette playing as Ladybug and Cat Noir and Manon playing as Lady Wifi, Rogercop and Evillustrator. Because Marinette always plays as the Ladybug and Cat Noir dolls, Manon laments that Marinette always wins and bursts into tears. Feeling guilty, Marinette allows Manon to borrow her Ladybug doll. However, Nadja Chamack, Manon's mother, does not want her to borrow it, as she complains that Manon already has too many toys; they get into a dispute, resulting in the Ladybug doll getting torn. Despite that, Manon still wants to borrow the Ladybug doll, so she asks Marinette for it behind her mother's back. Marinette hesitates and decides on a compromise instead, allowing her to borrow the Lady Wifi doll instead. Chamack notices Manon plays with the doll, and angry that Manon had defied her instructions, she confiscates it from her. Upset, Manon becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into the Puppeteer, a villain who can control the people Marinette's dolls are based on.|
|19||"Reflekta"||Thomas Astruc||Sophie Lodwitz
|21 February 2016||1 October 2016 ||TBA||N/A|
At class picture day, Marinette's classmate Juleka is hesitant about participating, as she believes that she is under a curse where any picture she is in will have her face covered. Wanting to be closer to Adrien in the photo, Chloé has her friend Sabrina lock Juleka in the bathroom while she takes her place in the centre of the photo, beside Adrien. Believing that she'll always stay cursed and unnoticed, Juleka becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Reflekta, a flamboyant villain who can zap people into making them look exactly like her.
|Thomas Astruc||Sébastien Thibaudeau||28 February 2016||3 September 2016||120||N/A|
Rock musician Jagged Stone has problems with his manager, who wants to change the look of his new album's cover and make him record a duet with XY, a hot new music artist who replaced Stone at the number-one position on the music charts. Although they agree on a compromise on the cover by having Marinette design it, Stone is later offended when he sees Marinette's first design (insisted on by his producer) and further enraged when he watches a interview given by XY, who arrogantly claims that technology matters more than music, rock 'n' roll is no longer in style, and that Stone was no match for him. Enraged, Stone becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Guitar Villain (a reference to the title of "guitar hero" given to legendary guitarists in France), a wild musician with a pet dragon, who influences people into headbanging and dancing uncontrollably by playing his guitar.
|Thomas Astruc||Guillaume Mautalent
|13 March 2016||27 August 2016||107||N/A|
Marinette's class is visiting the Grand Paris hotel, as part of a program to try out some of the jobs that the staff do in the hotel on a daily basis, when rock idol Jagged Stone arrives. While Jagged is checking in, an overly-obsessed fan named Vincent Aza sneaks in behind him and tries to take a picture with Stone, but he is swiftly kicked out of the hotel by Jagged's assistant, warned to never approach Stone again. Angry at being shunned by his idol, Vincent becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Pixelator, a supervillain who uses a head-mounted telescopic camera to take photos of people, making them vanish and trapping them in a white empty space by "digitising" them into living portraits that appear on his apartment wall.
|Thomas Astruc||Matthieu Choquet
Léonie De Rudder
|20 March 2016||14 May 2016||TBA||N/A|
Marinette's classmate Rose is excited about Prince Ali's visit to Paris, but is caught at school spraying perfume on her fan letter and using a cellphone in class. Tikki feels ill, so Marinette plans to take her to a healer, but when Marinette trips on the stairs, Tikki is picked up by Chloe, who plans to give Tikki as a plush toy gift to Prince Ali. Chloe tears up Rose's letter, telling Rose that Prince Ali has no interest in her. Hurt, Rose is influenced by Hawk Moth and becomes Princess Fragrance, a villain whose perfume spray makes people serve her, and who desires to have Prince Ali for herself. The untransformed Marinette must recover Tikki and stop Princess Fragrance from taking over all of Paris.
|Thomas Astruc||Fred Lenoir||27 March 2016||20 August 2016||110||N/A|
Nino is a contestant in a game show called The Challenge, where he has to get Mayor Bourgeois to dance. Despite being invited to see Nino, Marinette is grounded by her parents for missing too many classes at school, not knowing that she had been working as Ladybug. As Nino completes his challenge, the next contestant, a hypnotist named Simon Grimault (Jacques Grimeau in French version), is given the challenge to hypnotize Adrien's father Gabriel Agreste. However, Gabriel refuses to participate in the challenge, causing Simon to fail. Angry that he was not given the chance to at least try, Simon becomes influenced by Hawk Moth and turns into Simon Says (Jackady in French version), an extravagant villain who can hypnotize someone by throwing playing cards at them.
|24||"Volpina"||Thomas Astruc||Matthieu Choquet
Léonie de Rudder
|3 April 2016||TBA||TBA||N/A|
Adrien discovers a book in his father's safe with pictures of the different Miraculous heroes and steals it to learn more. Later, a new student named Lila arrives who claims to be good friends with Ladybug in order to wow Adrien. Jealous and upset by Lila's lies, Marinette begins to tail her, during which time she watches Lila steal the Miraculous book from Adrien. Tikki notices the cover design and insists upon taking the book for further study. Lila then tells Adrien that she is descended from the Miraculous holder Volpina, prompting Marinette to transform into Ladybug and call Lila on her lies in front of Adrien. Embarrassed, Lila runs off and becomes influenced by Hawk Moth, who transforms her into Volpina, a superhero with the power to create illusions, with the hope that she can gain Ladybug and Cat Noir's trust and betray them. The plan fails, though Hawk Moth is not concerned, proclaiming that his "big day" is at hand. Afterwards, Tikki's suspicions about the book are confirmed: it is the long-lost book of lore that contains coded secrets about the Miraculouses. She then brings Marinette to meet the Great Guardian, Master Fu.
|25||"Ladybug & Cat Noir - Origins, Part 1"
"Ladybug et Chat Noir (Origines - Partie 1)"
|Thomas Astruc||Thomas Astruc
|TBA||6 August 2016||122||TBD|
A prequel of the series. It's Marinette's first day of school. Hawk Moth captures a butterfly kwami named Nooroo and forces his allegiance. Hawk Moth's butterfly brooch allows him to give someone a superpower they desire and to make that person obey his will. He plans on using his new powers for evil purposes, intending to create villains to lure the heroes out to fight them, so he can steal their Miraculouses and gain absolute power. Master Fu, a 186-year-old Chinese man,[h] is notified of Hawk Moth's capture of Nooroo through Wayzz, his own kwami, a turtle. However, he is too old to fight anymore, so he pretends to be a weak old man, travelling Paris to find suitable charges for the Black Cat and Ladybug Miraculouses, hoping they can stop Hawk Moth and free Nooroo. He is helped by Marinette when he crosses a road and is almost hit by a car, and Adrien when he pretends to have fallen down. As school is dismissed, Ivan and Kim, two of Marinette's classmates, have a dispute, after Kim sends Ivan an offensive message on paper. Upset and angry, Ivan becomes Hawk Moth's first ever victim, turning into Stone Heart, a giant rock monster who grows in size after taking damage. Master Fu learns of this, and has no choice but to quickly deploy both the Black Cat and Ladybug Miraculouses, sending them to Adrien and Marinette. Marinette and Adrien both find a small box in their room, and after touching them, are quickly greeted by Tikki and Plagg. Both kwamis give their charges a quick explanation; soon Marinette and Adrien transform into Ladybug and Cat Noir and rush to stop Stone Heart. Despite their lack of experience and poor fighting skills, they manage to defeat Stone Heart and free the akuma. However, Ladybug forgets to purify the akuma after the fight; it flies off, duplicating itself and infecting many people, turning them into immobilised Stone Hearts. The episode ends as Marinette learns of her fatal mistake, and in her despair, thinking that she cannot do her job as Ladybug, removes her earrings and puts them away under her dressing table, causing Tikki to disappear.
|26||"Stoneheart - Origins, Part 2"
"Cœur de pierre (Origines - Partie 2)"
|Thomas Astruc||Thomas Astruc
|TBA||6 August 2016||123||TBD|
The next morning, Marinette brings her earrings to school and slips them into Alya's bag, still upset for forgetting to purify the akuma and convinced Alya would be a better Ladybug. Adrien sneaks to school, desperate to leave his house and make friends. Questioned by his classmates, nobody believes Ivan when he claims not to remember anything; he storms off in anger when Chloé mocks him. Marinette comforts Ivan; encouraged by her, Ivan sings Mylène a love song, but accidentally scares her off. Ivan turns into Stone Heart again with Hawk Moth's akuma, and takes control of his duplicates around Paris, which come to life. Stone Heart breaks into the classroom, grabs Chloé and Mylène and runs off, summoning his duplicates. Adrien rushes to stop Stone Heart as Alya takes chase to film the battle; Marinette runs after her, wanting to pass her the earrings. Stone Heart's duplicates catch Cat Noir as he saves Alya from being crushed by a flying car. Marinette has no choice but to transform; breaking Cat Noir out, they rush to Trocadéro. Ladybug catches Chloé when Stone Heart throws her towards Pont d'Iéna from the Eiffel Tower's lower deck. A swarm of akumas fly out of Stone Heart's mouth, forming Hawk Moth's face, who declares that Paris will be spared if Ladybug and Cat Noir's Miraculouses are surrendered. Ladybug refuses, stating that Hawk Moth is the one at wrong, and cleanses the akuma cloud. Hawk Moth orders Stone Heart to take their Miraculouses; he and his duplicates begin to climb the Eiffel Tower. Ladybug climbs to the top of the tower, using her yo-yo to make Mylène kiss Stone Heart's chest; surprised, he drops the paper ball the akuma is in. Ladybug crushes it and cleanses the akuma. After her magic cleans up the damage, Ladybug passes Mylène Ivan's song lyrics. Mylène hugs Ivan; Ladybug and Cat Noir run off to transform back. Later, Adrien's father allows him to go to school while Marinette stands up to Chloé, retaking her seat. That evening after school, it's raining outside; Adrien hands Marinette his umbrella, and the two share an intimate moment before parting ways. Master Fu and Wayzz watch from afar, satisfied with their decision to give them the Miraculouses.
A series of webisodes, Miraculous: La Webserie, was released by TF1. They contain clips from various episodes and are usually narrated by Marinette, who writes in her diary, or by the others. Nick also released the English version on their website as Miraculous Secrets (also A Miraculous Message), as well as on YouTube.
|No.||English title (web title / title card)
French title 
|Original release date (France)||English release date (U.S.)|
"Chat Noir vu par Marinette"
|Marinette writes in her diary about having Cat Noir as a superhero partner.|
"Marinette et Adrien"
"La double vie de Marinette (The double life of Marinette)"
"La fête d'anniversaire (The Birthday Party)"
"Marinette et Alya (Marinette and Alya)"
|W6||"The City of Paris / A Miraculous message from Marinette: Paris!"
"Marinette et Paris (Marinette and Paris)"
|TBA||17 December 2015|
|Marinette talks about her favorite monuments in Paris, including the Louvre, the Trocadéro and the Eiffel Tower.|
|W7||"Marinette and Fashion / A Miraculous message from Marinette: Fashion!"
"Marinette et la mode"
|TBA||8 January 2016|
|When asked about her career plans, Marinette talks about being a fashion designer, what she has designed, and what inspires her.|
|W8||"Alya's Ladyblog / A Miraculous message from Alya"
|TBA||22 January 2016|
|Alya talks about her Ladyblog website.|
|W9||"Adrien's Double Life / A Miraculous message from Adrien"
"La double vie d'Adrien"
|TBA||29 January 2016|
|Adrien talks about his life as a teenage model, the son of a rich and famous fashion designer, and his excitement about being a student. He also talks about life as Cat Noir.|
|W10||"Adrien's Love Letter / A Miraculous message from Adrien: Love Letter!"
"Ladybug vue par Adrien (Ladybug seen by Adrien)"
|TBA||9 January 2016|
|Adrien brainstorms some ideas in writing a love letter to Ladybug, and ends up crumbling it and tossing it in the garbage.|
Astruc has said that the show has reached over 120 countries. Disney Channel has had broadcasting rights in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, having to do with participation from The Walt Disney Company France: specifically, it acquired cable and satellite television rights in Europe, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia, and free-to-air rights in Spain, Germany, Russia and Turkey.
South Korea was the first country to premiere Ladybug, with girl group Fiestar to sing its translated theme song. It aired on 1 September 2015 on EBS1, and ran for 13 episodes until November 2015, with repeats through February 2016, and its second half of the season airing from 1 March 2016. SK Broadband, having participated in the production, provided the episodes on video on demand exclusively to subscribers of their IPTV platform B TV, about a half-hour following the South Korean broadcast of each one on EBS1. Disney Channel in South Korea has also aired the series as of 7 December 2015.
In France, the series premiered on 19 October 2015 on the Tfou programming block on TF1. In Canada, the French version of the series was premiered on 9 January 2016 on Télé-Québec, a provincial public service television network in Quebec.
The series debuted on Nickelodeon in the United States on 6 December 2015. Other English-language premieres are as follows: In the United Kingdom and Ireland, the show premiered on 30 January 2016 on Disney Channel In Australia, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation released the show on its ABC iview streaming service on 1 January 2016, and premiered the show on its linear channel ABC3 on 22 March 2016. In New Zealand, the show premiered on 27 April 2016 on TVNZ's TV2.
The second season will begin airing in May 2017, although which countries it will premiere in has not been stated, with a third season also in development.
In the United States and Canada, the first DVD, featuring the seven episodes from season one, with both English and French audio tracks, was released on 3 May 2016 by Shout! Factory. Another DVD, subtitled Spots On!, which contains six episodes, was released on 30 August 2016.
|DVD title||Season(s)||Episode count||Release date|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir||1||7||3 May 2016|
|Miraculous: Tales Of Ladybug & Cat Noir: Spots On!||1||6||30 August 2016|
||The examples and perspective in this section deal primarily with the United States and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Kimberly Cooper, a blog writer who has contributed to news media such as The Huffington Post, wrote that the show has inspired teens and adults to create and propagate Miraculous remixes, and liked that the show featured multiracial characters as with the film Big Hero 6 which had won an Oscar. She "quickly realized there was a far cooler and broader Miraculous movement underway". Caitlin Donovan of entertainment website Epicstream listed it as one of her top 10 animated series of 2015. She wrote that "The characters are so charming that the tropey aspects of the show are merely a lot of fun, rather than irritating." with creative fights and good CGI animation. She wrote that "Marinette is an adorable lead who is genuinely awkward as a civilian, but confident as a superhero, which makes for an interesting contrast." Ella Anders of BSCKids wrote that the show stands out because of "how it meshes both the magical girl and superhero genera together".
The North American Precis Syndicate called the show "authentic and aspirational – a story of today's modern everygirl superhero who comes to life. The series, about a young girl who taps into her superhero powers and innocent optimism to save Paris from the evil Hawk Moth, will no doubt inspire today's youth to try to save the day, each and every day in their own way". Andrea Reiher of Zap2It wrote that the "storylines are rich with family, friends, adventure, intrigue, villains, creativity and more, delivering themes that are relatable and relevant to kids and preteens" and anticipated it would be a huge hit on Nickelodeon.
Several media reviewers have anticipated Miraculous-brand toys to be among the hot superheroine properties for 2016. Zag has partnered with Bandai to release Miraculous-based toys, as well as deals to make Miraculous-brand clothing and other merchandise.
- "Le Pharaon". Miraculous: Les Aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir. Season 1. Episode 3 (in French). 8 March 2016. Event occurs at 00:48. TF1.
(Alya, after picking up Ladybug's history book) Ladybug dropped a book! It's a (French: classe de troisième, equivalent of ninth grade) history book; I'm in a good position to know! I have the exact same one at home! Could our favorite masked vigilante be a (French: collégienne, equivalent of middle school) in real life?In the English version "The Pharaoh", Alya says that it's a tenth-grade history book, and suspects that Ladybug could be a high schooler, conflicting with the French version. As Astruc has stated that the show's canon language is French, the article will use ninth grade.
- "Webisode: Adrien's Double Life". Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir (Webisodes). Episode 5. 2 February 2016. Event occurs at 00:25. Nickelodeon. Archived from the original on 2 February 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
[Adrien] Actually, I mostly do it [modeling] to make my father happy. Ever since Mom disappeared, he hasn't been the same.
- "Stormy Weather". Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir.
- "Dark Cupid". Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir.
- "The Pharaoh". Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir. Season 1. Episode 6. 3 January 2016. Event occurs at 20:28. Nickelodeon.
I'm older than [5,000 years old]. I'm the Kwami that's watched over every Ladybug since the very beginning!
- "Ladybug et Chat Noir (Origines - Partie 1)". Miraculous: Les Aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir. Season 1. Episode 22 (in French). 9 March 2016. Event occurs at 03:13. Télé-Québec. Marinette: "You can bet Chloé's gonna be in my class again" Sabine: "Four years in a row, you think that's possible?"
- "Animan". Miraculous: Les Aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir. Season 1. Episode 16 (in French). 24 January 2016. Event occurs at 20:15. TF1.
- "Ladybug et Chat Noir (Origines - Partie 1)". Miraculous: Les Aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir. Season 1. Episode 22 (in French). 4 March 2016. Event occurs at 02:40. Télé-Québec.
Encore jeune! Je n'ai que cent-quatre-vingt-six ans! (Still young! I am only 186 years old!
- "Miraculous". PGS Entertainment. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- Collins, Elle (3 December 2015). "Teen French Heroes Ladybug & Cat Noir Arrive On Nickelodeon". Comics Alliance. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
The influence of the Magical Girl genre is inescapable; when Marinette’s mother is captured in a bubble and carried off into the sky, apparently along with every adult in Paris, Marinette transforms into Ladybug in a series of twirls and poses, just as Sailor Moon and other magical girls always do. She even has the guidance of some kind of talking ladybug creature, fulfilling another Magical Girl trope.
- Thomas_Astruc (3 May 2016). "Delighted to announce: @WinnyGZ @happyhappykuri & Jun Violet will now direct the show with me. Plz greet'em warmly!" (Tweet). Retrieved 26 June 2016 – via Twitter.
- Jayson, Jay (9 September 2015). "Miraculous Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir To Debut In December On Nickelodeon". Comicbook.com. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- McLean, Tom (4 December 2015). "ZAG's 'Miraculous' Debuts Dec. 6 on Nick". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
ZAG Animation’s long-in-the-works superhero animated series Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir, debuts in the United States at noon ET/PT Dec. 6 on Nickelodeon.
- Komatsu, Mikikazu (4 September 2012). "Toei helps creating a new French magical girl show". Crunchyroll.
a new TV anime series called Lady Bug or Miraculous Ladybug
- Loo, Egan (5 September 2012). "Zagtoon, Toei's Ladybug Animated Trailer Streamed". Anime News Network.
- Keslassy, Elsa (6 June 2012). "Japan's Toei to co-produce 'Miraculous'". Variety (magazine).
Zagtoon has enrolled Japan's Toei Animation to co-produce "Miraculous" (working title), a Paris-set comedy-action series
- Hodgkins, Crystalin (6 June 2012). "Toei Animation to Co-Produce French Cartoon Miraculous". Anime News Network.
- "Miraculous va enchanter TFou ! sur TF1". Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- 글로벌 공동제작 애니메이션 '레이디버그' EBS 세계 최초 방송 (9월1일 오후 7시) [EBS to be the First in the World to Broadcast Ladybug, a Multinational Animated Co-Production (from 1 September at 7 pm)] (Press release) (in Korean). Educational Broadcasting System. 22 July 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- "Stormy Weather". TV Guide UK. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- Zag, Jeremy (20 November 2015). "season 2 and 3 in progress 😊😀👍". Instagram. Archived from the original on 29 December 2015. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "PGS Secures Deals For 'LadyBug'". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- Keslassey, Elsa (29 January 2012). "Zagtoon Pictures' pipeline includes $50 million 'Lady Bug'". Variety. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- Thomas_Astruc (24 February 2016). "@AllergicCatLady @Miraculous_show @Ladybug_Cartoon Because canon langage is french and fansubbing always contain errors." (Tweet). Retrieved 8 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- "zag inc". zagtoon.com. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- Miraculous Ladybug - 6 Things You Need To Become A Miraculous Superhero - Nick. 12 December 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2016 – via YouTube.
- Keslassy, Elsa (4 October 2010). "Duo prep S3D superhero toon - 'Lady Bug' to involve toys, comicbooks, Apple apps". Variety. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
Univergroup Pictures and Onyx Films are joining forces to produce 'Miraculous Lady Bug'
- Astruc, Thomas. "Miraculous Thomas Astruc FAQ". Archived from the original on 2016-03-21. Retrieved 2016-08-24 – via Tumblr.
- Nolife (8 March 2016). 101 PUR 100 #23 Thomas Astruc & Wilfried Pain (Miraculous Ladybug). Davy Mourier. Retrieved 14 March 2016 – via YouTube.
- Elsa Keslassy. "Zagtoon to produce 'Knight Five'". Variety. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- Thomas_Astruc (23 September 2015). "@WatermelonSoup In the trailer, the male character you're talking is called Félix." (Tweet). Retrieved 5 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Thomas_Astruc (27 October 2015). "@raff_rafflesia Me too. Adrien is more interesting storywise, while Félix was more an anime cliché. That's why we discarded him." (Tweet). Retrieved 5 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- "Countdown to Miraculous Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Is On". bsckids.com. 5 December 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Thomas_Astruc (25 September 2015). "@OrangeRux Even though he wasn't fit to be our hero, Félix's still an interesting character. Given the opportunity, I'll make him come back." (Tweet). Retrieved 5 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Thomas Astruc [Thomas_Astruc] (14 February 2016). "@AbbysMaxine No matter what Félix's lovers think, this character was a poor idea. He's yours to fanfic with. I won't waste my time on him." (Tweet). Retrieved 5 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- SK브로드밴드, 글로벌애니매이션 공동제작 [SK Broadband to Join in Multinational Animated Co-Production] (Press release) (in Korean). SK Broadband. 29 November 2012. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- 최인영 (21 November 2012). SKB, 글로벌 애니메이션 제작 추진 [SK Broadband to Push Ahead with Multinational Animated Production] (in Korean). Seoul. Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 21 March 2016 – via Naver.
- Krystal Kitsune (24 December 2015). "INTERVIEW WITH: Miraculous Ladybug executive producer, Jared Wolfson". The Kitsune Network.
- Ji-eun, Nam (3 August 2015). "S. Korea, France and Japan cooperate on new animation program". The Hankyoreh. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- "Trailer de Ladybug, finalement en 3D" (in French). 21 October 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- Binoist, Aurélie (22 September 2015). "Miraculous press kit" (PDF). tf1pro.com (in French). TF1 Group. Archived (PDF) from the original on 11 October 2015.
- Thomas Astruc (12 February 2016). "How long does it take on average to write an episode?". Tumblr. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Noam Kaniel". Frogtoon Music. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Wendy Child - Timeline - Facebook". facebook.com. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "The Mime". Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. Episode 13. Event occurs at Closing credits, Opening Title Music Theme.
- Velasquez, Nestor (9 July 2015). "Anime, Ponies and More – The Next Code Lyoko?". Tumblr. Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 14 November 2015. Summary of promotional material released for Miraculous Ladybug.
- "Miraculous - Disney Channel UK". Disney UK. Archived from the original on 7 February 2016. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "Miraculous Ladybug". Miraculous official website. Retrieved 7 March 2016. Select characters and name of character
- Tweets concerning the Kwami names:
- trashUlater (27 September 2015). "@Thomas_Astruc How were Tikki's and Plagg's name decided?" (Tweet). Retrieved 7 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Thomas Astruc [thomas_astruc] (27 September 2015). "@trashUlater The rule : every kwami must have a short name and a double letter in it." (Tweet). Retrieved 7 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Thomas Astruc [thomas_astruc] (27 September 2015). "@trashUlater Tikki means happiness in language I can't remember. Plagg, obviously, is based on plague in english." (Tweet). Retrieved 7 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Silverstein's tweets regarding Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir:
- Ladybug_cartoon (30 May 2015). "Hawk Moth is a villain who wants Ladybug & Chat Noir's powers for himself. He is voiced by @SilverTalkie in the Eng ver.! #Miraculousladbug" (Tweet). Retweeted by Keith Silverstein (SilverTalkie) – via Twitter.
- cambrasine (20 October 2015). "I was Ladybug + ended up meeting @SilverTalkie, the voice actor for Hawkmoth(US)!! @Thomas_Astruc #miraculousladybug" (Tweet). Retweeted by Keith Silverstein (SilverTalkie) – via Twitter.
- AshlyTWhite (6 November 2015). "@SilverTalkie I can't wait to hear you as Hawk Moth in #MiraculousLadybug @NickelodeonTV 😄❤️" (Tweet). Retweeted by Keith Silverstein (SilverTalkie) – via Twitter.
- Keith Silverstein [SilverTalkie] (7 November 2015). "@AshlyTWhite me too!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Thomas Astruc [thomas_astruc] (14 October 2015). "My fellow french #miraculers, meet the terrific Antoine Tome, aka #MiraculousLadybug 's Hawk Moth/le Papillon." (Tweet). Retrieved 31 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Victor, Selah (17 September 2015). "Apparently my character Chloe likes to take selfies too ;).". Instagram. Archived from the original on 5 November 2015. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- Thomas Astruc [Thomas_Astruc] (14 October 2015). "And here's your favorite brat: Marie Chevalot, aka Chloé Bourgeois, #MiraculousLadybug 's nemesis." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Alya tweets:
- MircaculousLadybug (30 May 2015). "Alya is Marinette Cheng's best friend and will be voiced by @CarrieKeranen in the English version!" (Tweet). Retrieved 30 November 2015 – via Twitter.
- Erin Fitzgerald [ErinFitzgerald] (7 December 2015). "Bumped into @CarrieKeranen Alya in @Ladybug_Cartoon whoop! I play #Rose #Juleka" (Tweet). Retrieved 7 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Carrie Keranen [CarrieKeranen] (7 December 2015). ""@ErinFitzgerald: Bumped into @CarrieKeranen Alya in @Ladybug_Cartoon whoop! I play #Rose #Juleka " love you, girl!!" (Tweet). Retrieved 7 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- References regarding Alya's family name and ethnicities of Alya and Nino:
- "official-ladyblog: oakydokey: what are Alya and Nino's ethnic origins?". Tumblr. 12 January 2016. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- Serya_chan (10 January 2016). "@Thomas_Astruc Le nouvel épisode était super !! >w< Sinon j'ai bien entendu ou le nom de famille de l'une des chefs était Césaire ?" [The new episode was super!! >w< Did I mishear or was the last name of one of the chefs "Césaire"?] (Tweet) (in French). Archived from the original on 2 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Serya_chan (10 January 2016). "@Thomas_Astruc Si j'ai bien entendu, ça me fait très plaisir, en tant que Martiniquaise et lectrice d'Aimé Césaire haha ;u;" [If I heard right, that makes me happy, as a resident of Martinique and reader of Aimé Césaire haha ;u;] (Tweet) (in French). Archived from the original on 2 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Thomas Astruc [Thomas_Astruc] (10 January 2016). "@Serya_chan C'est bien le cas. Pour une fois qu'une série se passe en France, on n'allait pas oublier les dom-tom, non?" [That’s the case. A series takes place in France for once, we can’t forget the overseas departments and territories, can we?] (Tweet) (in French). Archived from the original on 2 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Thomas Astruc [Thomas_Astruc] (10 January 2016). "@Serya_chan et donc oui, la famille d'Alya est originaire de Martinique." [and yes, Alya’s family is originally from Martinique.] (Tweet) (in French). Archived from the original on 2 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- Astruc's tweet in response to Nino's last name
- Thomas Astruc [Thomas_Astruc] (14 October 2015). "And your best bud forever, @Lexovy aka Alexandre N'guyen aka Nino." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Astruc's tweets about a trio:
- Thomas Astruc [Thomas_Astruc] (8 December 2015). "#MiraculousLadybug trivia: originally, Chloé, Sabrina and Alix were supposed to be a trio. Can you guess why?" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Thomas Astruc [Thomas_Astruc] (8 December 2015). "It was indeed a reference to TTS. Bravo 👏" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Thomas Astruc [Thomas_Astruc] (8 December 2015). "@Mo3RoseWhite It was the production code for Totally Spies." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Shows A-Z - miraculous: tales of ladybug and cat noir on nickelodeon". The Futon Critic. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Miraculous : Les Aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir". Télé-Québec (in French). Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.09.01". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 1 September 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "News & Actu TF1 et Vous - TF1 - Page 1". tf1.fr. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 12.20.2015". Showbuzz Daily. 20 December 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.09.08". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 8 September 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 12.6.2015". Showbuzz Daily. 6 December 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.10.13". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 13 October 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 1.10.2016". Showbuzz Daily. 10 January 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.10.06". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 6 October 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 1.17.2016". Showbuzz Daily. 17 January 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.09.22". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 22 September 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 12.27.2015". Showbuzz Daily. 27 December 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.09.29". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 29 September 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 12.13.2015". Showbuzz Daily. 13 December 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.10.27". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 27 October 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 1.24.2016". Showbuzz Daily. 24 January 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.10.20". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 20 October 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 1.31.2016". Showbuzz Daily. 31 January 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.09.15". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 15 September 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Update: 1.3.2016". Showbuzz Daily. 3 January 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : Dark Cupid". Zap2it. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "Miraculous - Les aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir - Dislocoeur". TFOU (in French). TF1 Group. Archived from the original on 30 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 2.7.2016". Showbuzz Daily. 7 February 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : Horrificator". Zap2it. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Miraculous - Les aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir - Horrificator". TFOU (in French). TF1 Group. Archived from the original on 30 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 2.21.2016". Showbuzz Daily. 21 February 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.11.17". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 17 November 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : Darkblade". Zap2it. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Miraculous". tfou.fr. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- "UPDATED: SHOWBUZZDAILY's Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 2.28.2016". Showbuzz Daily. 28 February 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Thomas Astruc [thomas_astruc] (2 October 2015). "Today we had a very special miraculer on #miraculousladybug set. Much love to Josiane Balasko who dubbed herself." (Tweet). Retrieved 16 March 2016 – via Twitter.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.11.24". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 24 November 2015. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : The Mime". Zap2it. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Kung Food) on Disney Channel HD, Sat 2 Apr 8:29am - TV Guide UK TV Listings". TVGuide.co.uk. 2 April 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : Kung Food". Zap2it. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : The Gamer". Zap2it. Retrieved 18 February 2016.
- "Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir: Animan". Zap2it. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : Anitibug". Zap2it. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : The Puppeteer". Zap2it. Retrieved 26 February 2016.
- "Miraculous Tales Of Ladybug And Cat Noir - Series 1 Ep 23 Reflekta : ABC iview". abc.net.au. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Thomas Astruc (1 March 2016). "Is Guitar Villain by any chance a pun on the game Guitar Hero?". Tumblr. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2016. In response to the ask, Astruc posted a link to the guitar hero page on the French Wikipedia.
- "Miraculous Tales Of Ladybug And Cat Noir - Series 1 Ep 20 Guitar Villain : ABC iview". abc.net.au. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : Guitar Villain". Zap2it. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : Pixelator". Zap2it. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir : Princess Fragrance". Zap2it. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "Miraculous Tales Of Ladybug And Cat Noir - Series 1 Ep 18 Simon Says : ABC iview". archive.org. 21 April 2016. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- @avatartagg (1 March 2015). "Me: (earlier) What is the right spelling for the purple kwami's name.". Tumblr. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
Me: (earlier) What is the right spelling for the purple kwami’s name.[better source needed]
TA: And Wayzz for the green one.
- "EBS 편성 정보 2015.11.24". ebs.co.kr (in Korean). EBS. 1 March 2016. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Cooper, Kimberly (27 February 2016). "Biracial Diversity in Animation: Thomas Astruc Scores Big with Miraculous Ladybug". Literatigurl. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Ladybug et Chat Noir (Origines - Partie 1) | Télé-Québec". telequebec.tv (in French). Télé-Québec. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Miraculous Tales Of Ladybug And Cat Noir - Series 1 Ep 12 Ladybug And Cat Noir - Origins Part 1 : ABC iview". abc.net.au. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Zahn, James (18 July 2016). ""Miraculous" things on the way for Ladybug and Cat Noir...". The Rock Father. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "Cœur de pierre (Origines - Partie 2) |Télé-Québec". telequebec.tv (in French). Télé-Québec. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Miraculous Tales Of Ladybug And Cat Noir - Series 1 Ep 13 : ABC iview". abc.net.au. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Web Série - Miraculous - TFOU". tfou.fr. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Watch Free Miraculous TV Show Videos & Clips - Nick.com". www.nick.com. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "The City of Paris". www.nick.com. 24 December 2015. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Marinette and Fashion". www.nick.com. 8 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Alya's Ladyblog". www.nick.com. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Adrien's Double Life". www.nick.com. 29 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Adrien's Letter to Ladybug". www.nick.com. 9 January 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- Thomas J. McLean (20 May 2014). "PGS Secures Deals For 'LadyBug'". Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- SK브로드밴드, B TV 미라큘러스 레이디버그 국내 최초 VOD 독점 방영 [SK Broadband to be the First in the Country to Release Miraculous Ladybug on VOD, Exclusively on B TV] (Press release) (in Korean). SK Broadband. 31 August 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- 12/7일 첫방영! 디즈니채널/ 미라큘러스 방영안내 [Miraculous on Disney Channel: a Network Premiere, from 7 December] (in Korean). SAMG Animation. 7 December 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Liu, Ed (10 September 2015). "Nickelodeon Debuts "Miraculous Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir" on December 6, 2015". Toon Zone News. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015.
- Dickson, Jeremy (10 September 2015). "Nick US to debut Miraculous Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir". Kidscreen. Toronto: Brunico Communications. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Zag, Jeremy (24 June 2015). "Ladybug will finally air on Nickelodeon this Fall!". Instagram. Archived from the original on 27 June 2015. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Miraculous Tales Of Ladybug And Cat Noir". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir". TVNZ. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- Shout! Factory. "Miraculous: Tales Of Ladybug & Cat Noir". Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Lambert, David (29 February 2016). "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir - 'Volume 1' of the Nickolodeon-Aired Show on DVD". tvshowsondvd.com. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Shout! Factory. "Miraculous: Tales Of Ladybug & Cat Noir: Spots On!". Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- John Hopewell, Elsa Keslassy. "'Little Prince' Takes Paris-based ON Ent. to Another Level - Variety". Variety. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Kimberly Cooper". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Donovan, Caitlin (30 December 2015). "Top 10 Animated Series of 2015". epicstream.com. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Anders, Ella (2 July 2015). "Part Magical Girl, Part Superhero; Ladybug Arrives State-Side in Fall". BSCkids. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- North American Precis Syndicate (10 February 2016). "SuperHERoes To Rule The Playroom And Beyond". NAPSI. Retrieved 6 March 2016 – via NJ.com.
- Reiher, Amanda (4 December 2015). "Ladybug and Cat Noir will be kids' favorite new superheroes". Zap2It. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Kidscreen articles:
- Callan, Patrick (16 February 2016). "On a roll: What's driving a global toy industry boom?". kidscreen.com. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Callan, Patrick (13 October 2015). "Leading Ladies, Kicking Ass". kidscreen.com. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Brott, Armin; Feuss, Samantha (18 February 2016). "Toy trends for 2016". Retrieved 6 March 2016 – via Waterloo Region Record.