Theatrical release poster
|Written by||Mark Pilkington|
Perception Management Productions
|Distributed by||Random Media|
Mirage Men is a 2013 documentary film directed by John Lundberg, written by Mark Pilkington and co-directed by Roland Denning and Kypros Kyprianou. The film had its world premiere at the 2013 Sheffield Doc/Fest in the UK on 13 June 2013, its North American premiere at the 2013 Fantastic Fest in Austin, Texas on 22 September 2013, its Australian premiere at the Canberra International Film Festival on 31 October 2013 and its Nordic premiere at the Stockholm Film Festival in Sweden on 10 November 2013.
Mirage Men is about how the US government used mythology to cover up their advanced technology. It prominently features Richard Doty, a retired Special Agent who worked for AFOSI, the United States Air Force Office of Special Investigation. Mark Pilkington's book about the project, also called Mirage Men, was published in 2010 by Constable & Robinson.
Critical reception for the documentary has been positive. Twitch Film said the film was "Scary, unsettling" and "offered profound food for thought". Electric Sheep magazine called it "one of the must see documentaries of the year". Ain't it Cool News called the film "a real head trip" and said they were "glued to [their] seat".
American novelist Ernest Cline credits the Mirage Men movie as an influence on his novel and screenplay Armada in which the government has known for decades of an alien invasion and has been funding sci-fi movies and videogames in order to prepare us for war.
- "Mirage Men – New UFO Documentary Sends Us Deeper Down The Rabbit Hole". Conscious Life News. 19 September 2013.
- "'Tantalizing documentary suggests UFO folklore was deliberately fabricated under a U.S. psychological warfare program." The Hollywood Reporter.
- "'Fantastic Fest 2013 Review: MIRAGE MEN Offers Disclosure And Discomfort In Equal Measure". Twitch Film.
- "'Mirage Men - Canberra International Film Festival". Archived from the original on 27 January 2014.
- "'Mirage Men - Stockholm Film Festival".
- "'Muldoon Can't Trust Anyone After Seeing MIRAGE MEN at Fantastic Fest 2013!". Ain't it Cool News.
- Pilkington, Mar k (2010). Mirage Men. Constable & Robinson. p. 320. ISBN 9781845298579. Archived from the original on 29 September 2010. Retrieved September 2013. Check date values in:
- "'Electric Sheep Magazine - Mirage Men review by Virginie Sélavy". Electric Sheep.
- "'Mirage Men excerpted in the new Adam Curtis documentary".
- "'Sci-Fi Has Been Prepping Us for an Alien Invasion for Years".