|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Miraj State (ca. 1750 - 1820)
Miraj Junior State (1820 - 1948)
|Princely State of British India|
|Imperial Gazetteer of India|
|•||Independence of India||1948|
|•||1901||508 km2 (196 sq mi)|
|Density||70.5 /km2 (182.6 /sq mi)|
|This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "article name needed". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.|
Miraj Junior was one of two Maratha princely states during the British Raj: 'Miraj Senior' and Miraj Junior. The two states separated in 1820. It was under the southern division of the Bombay Presidency, forming part of the southern Mahratta Jagirs, and later the Deccan States Agency.
Miraj Junior measured 211 square miles (550 km2) in area. According to the 1901 census, the population was 35,806. In 1901, the state enjoyed revenue estimated at £27,000-, and paid £400 in tribute to the British Raj. The Raja resided in the town of Bhudgaon (population 3,591 in 1901).
The State of Miraj, the predecessor state, was founded before 1750 and within its limits was the former capital of the State of Sangli before the British Raj. Raja Govind Rao Patwardhan, 1st Ruler of Miraj, began as a cavalry commander. He distinguished himself in several expeditions against the Nizam of Hyderabad and Hyder Ali of Mysore, established the Maratha ascendancy in southern India and pushed the Maratha conquests to the frontier of Mysore.
In 1820, the state of Miraj was divided between a Senior and Junior branch. The territory of both branches was widely scattered among other native states and also British districts.
- Raja Madhavrao I Patwardhan, 1st Raja of Miraj Junior 1820/1845
- Raja Lakshmanrao I [Anna Saheb] Patwardhan, 2nd Raja of Miraj Junior 1845/1876, born 1807, died 1876.
- Raja Hariharrao [Dada Saheb] Patwardhan, 3rd Raja of Miraj Junior 1876/1877, died 1877.
- Raja Lakshmanrao II [Anna Saheb] Patwardhan, 4th Raja of Miraj Junior 1877/1899, died 7 February 1899.
- Meherban Shrimant Raja Sir Madhavrao II Harihar Babasaheb Patwardhan, 5th Raja of Miraj Junior 1899/1950
- Meherban Shrimant Raja Chintamanrao Madhavrao Balasaheb Patwardhan, 6th Raja of Miraj Junior 1950/1972
- Rajkumari Yamuna Raje Patwardhan - Married to Vasant Ramchandra Naykude
- Yuvaraj Shrimant Agastyanand Patwardhan
- Meherban Shrimant Raja Hariharrao Madhavrao Babasaheb Patwardhan, Raja of Miraj Junior
- Meherban Shrimant Raja Parshuram Hariharrao Patwardhan
- Brahmin princely states
- Maratha Empire
- List of Maratha dynasties and states
- Political integration of India]