Miramont, also known as Miramont Castle and Montcalm Castle
|Location||9 Capitol Hill, Manitou Springs, Colorado|
|NRHP Reference #||77000375|
|Added to NRHP||April 11, 1977|
|Manitou Springs, Colorado|
Miramont Castle is a museum located in Manitou Springs, Colorado. The Castle was originally built in 1895 as a private home for Father Jean Baptist Francolon, a French-born Catholic priest. Located in the Manitou Springs Historic District, it is a National Register of Historic Places listing.
Father Jean Baptiste Francolon built Miramont Castle in 1895. The house is "an eclectic estate that blends a variety of architectural styles from Byzantine to Tudor." Construction was completed in 1896. The castle is an architectural example of the Victorian Era. In 1976 Miramont Castle was added to the National Register of Historic Places due to its significant historic heritage and architectural variety.
The house is now a Victorian-era historic house museum that is owned and operated by the Manitou Springs Historical Society. Visitors can tour 42 furnished rooms and gardens. The site also features a tea room and gift shop.
- There's also a report that the Sisters acquired the dormant Miramont Castle in 1904, after Father Francolon had moved away in 1900.
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Welcome to Miramont Castle. Miramontcastle.org. Retrieved on May 5, 2013.
- "Manitou Springs castle served as a refuge for a reclusive priest". The Gazette. Docs.newsbank.com (June 10, 1990). Retrieved on May 5, 2013.
- Miramont Castle Museum. Pikes-peak.com. Retrieved on May 5, 2013.
- National Register of Historic Places in El Paso County, Colorado. American Dreams. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Best of Colorado. Big Earth Publishing. September 1, 2002. p. 81. ISBN 978-1-56579-429-0. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Holiday house tour starts ominously, ends on a happy note". The Gazette. Nl.newsbank.com (December 15, 1991). Retrieved on May 5, 2013.
- NewsLibrary.com - newspaper archive, clipping service - newspapers and other news sources. Docs.newsbank.com (December 9, 1988). Retrieved on May 5, 2013.
- Star Telegram: Search results. Newsbank. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- "Lore Springs from Manitou Waters. (Sunday Magazine/Travel)." Denver: Rocky Mountain News. Primary Source Media. 1998. HighBeam Research. May 5, 2013
- Miramont Castle. Dread Central. Retrieved on May 5, 2013.
- Dark Destinations - Miramont Castle. Thecabinet.com. Retrieved on May 5, 2013.
- Colorado’s Haunted Architecture – Miramont Castle. Thecoloradoarchitect.com. Retrieved on May 5, 2013.
- Miramont Castle - official site