Miranda Kerr in February 2012
|Born||Miranda May Kerr
20 April 1983
|Spouse(s)||Orlando Bloom (m. 2010; separated 2013)|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Dress size||2 US/6 UK/34 EU|
|Shoe size||8 US/39 EU|
Miranda May Kerr (born 20 April 1983) is an Australian model. Kerr rose to prominence in 2007 as one of the Victoria's Secret Angels. She is the first Australian to participate in the Victoria's Secret campaign and also represented the Australian up-market department store chain David Jones. Kerr has launched her own brand of organic skincare products, KORA Organics, and wrote a self-help book.
Kerr began modelling in the fashion industry when she was 13, starting at Chaay's Modelling Agency, and subsequently won a 1997 Australian nationwide model search hosted by Dolly magazine and Impulse fragrances. She married English actor Orlando Bloom in 2010; they have since separated.
Kerr was born in Sydney and was raised in the small town of Gunnedah, New South Wales. She is the daughter of Therese and John Kerr. She has a brother, Matthew, who is two years younger. In an interview, Kerr stated that her ancestry is mostly English with smaller amounts of Scottish and French. During her childhood, Kerr "raced motorbikes and rode horses on her grandmother's farm". She describes her early life in the Australian countryside as "very grounding ... there wasn't any pretentiousness and no one really cared what you were wearing. You could just be you."
Her family moved to Brisbane to allow Kerr and her brother to experience city life. She graduated from All Hallows' School in 2000. Kerr studied nutrition and health psychology before pursuing modelling.
1997–2006: Career Beginnings
At age 13, Kerr entered and won the 1997 annual Dolly magazine/Impulse model competition. She was flown to Sydney a week before her 14th birthday to shoot for the magazine. Upon Kerr's win, local media expressed "concerned outrage" at her young age. The controversy raised concerns about the glorification of young girls within the fashion, beauty, and entertainment industries.
Some media outlets[according to whom?] claimed her Dolly shoot (including images of a 14-year-old Kerr in bathing suits) constituted a form of paedophilia. Of the press, Kerr said: "In the media at the time they were trying to cling on to anything remotely to do with paedophilia. Dolly is a magazine for teenage girls, not for old men. And I was fully clothed! Doing a winter shoot! They just made something out of nothing."
Kerr signed to Chic Management's Sydney division. She received considerable commercial exposure after a series of beachwear ads predominantly for Australian surf chain Billabong, in which Kerr modelled surf brands Tigerlily, Roxy, Billabong Girls, and One Teaspoon. This increased her profile in the Australian and Asian markets, after which Kerr relocated to New York where she became co-owner of the Bowery Ballroom.
In New York, Kerr had a multitude of runway appearances and then signed with NEXT Model Management in early 2004. From there, she was booked for runway and print campaigns for major labels, including Alex Perry, Baby Phat, Lisa Ho, Voodoo Dolls, Levi's, Bettina Liano, Nicola Finetti, L.A.M.B., Heatherette, Betsey Johnson, Trelise Cooper, Jets, John Richmond, Blumarine Swimwear, Neiman Marcus, Seafolly Swimwear, Anna Molinari, Rock and Republic, Roberto Cavalli, and Ober Jeans. Kerr was also booked for print in magazines such as Elle, Australian Vogue and Harper's Bazaar, and was featured in television advertisements for brands like Portmans, Bonds, and Veet.
In early 2006, Kerr appeared in the finale episode of the TV show Project Runway, modelling clothes for contestant Daniel Vosovic's final collection. She was the first woman to walk down the catwalk. She debuted with the United States market when she signed a lucrative cosmetics contract with Maybelline New York. The campaign ran in a series of internationally sold women's beauty magazines, including Cosmopolitan, CLEO, and Elle, and was eventually featured in Victoria's Secret catalogues. Along with several other Victoria's Secret and Next agency models, Kerr was also featured in a music video for the single "Number One" by artists Kanye West and Pharrell.
2007–2012: Victoria's Secret and High Fashion Work
Following her success with Maybelline, Kerr became the first Australian model to be offered a contract with Victoria's Secret in 2007, replacing Gisele Bündchen. Upon her acceptance, she became the first ever Australian Victoria's Secret Angel joining the stable of models already signed to the lingerie giant, including Alessandra Ambrosio, Karolína Kurková, Adriana Lima, Selita Ebanks, Izabel Goulart, and Heidi Klum. Before becoming an Angel in 2007, Kerr was already picked to become the successor of Alessandra Ambrosio as the face of PINK in 2006. Kerr's popularity continued to increase as one of the globally recognised Angels when she appeared in the Victoria's Secret 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 televised runway shows, which aired on four continents.
In 2007, Kerr signed on as the face of Californian fashion retailer Arden B. After debuting in their spring and summer ad campaigns, Kerr returned for their fall 2007 campaign, shot by fashion photographer Diego Uchitel. Following her modeling success with Victoria's Secret, Kerr made a small guest appearance in the CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother alongside fellow Angels Adriana Lima, Marisa Miller, Alessandra Ambrosio, Heidi Klum and Selita Ebanks.
She also became the new face of Clinique Happy and signed a six-figure deal to be the new face of Australian department store David Jones, replacing model Megan Gale. In 2008, in which she had earned an estimated $3.5 million in the previous 12 months, Forbes placed Kerr No. 10 in the list of the world's top-earning models.
In June 2009, Kerr posed naked, chained to a tree, for an issue of Rolling Stone Australia, to raise awareness for the endangered koalas.In August, Kerr released an inspirational self-esteem, self-help book, Treasure Yourself. Treasure Yourself is aimed at female teenagers.In October, Kerr launched her own brand of organic skincare products, KORA Organics, with George Moskos,[better source needed] and became the face for the company. Kerr also shot a spring/summer ad campaign for XOXO. Kerr appeared in Forbes 2009 list of the world's highest-paid models, ranking at No. 9 with estimated earnings of $3 million. She left NEXT Model Management and signed with IMG Models.She then ended the year walking in the annual Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
Kerr appeared in the 2010 Pirelli Calendar, photographed by Terry Richardson in Bahia, Brazil. Previously better known for her Victoria's Secret status rather than her high fashion work, Balenciaga is credited for launching her high fashion modelling career when casting directors Ashley Brokaw and Nicolas Ghesquière chose her to walk exclusively for the brand's spring 2010 runway show. It was her first designer fashion show, aside from Victoria's Secret, since 2007. A season later she walked for design company Prada for their fall 2010 collection in Milan alongside fellow Angels Doutzen Kroes and Alessandra Ambrosio. Kerr then modelled for campaigns for Prada and Jil Sander, and was shot by Steven Meisel for the cover of Italian Vogue for September. She appeared on the Forbes 2010 list of the world's highest-paid models, ranking at No. 9 where she earned $4 million.
In January 2011, Kerr became the first pregnant model for Vogue when featured in Vogue Australia, being six months pregnant at the time of the shoot.[dead link] In March she hit the catwalk for Balenciaga's fall 2011 ready-to-wear collection as part of Paris Fashion Week, two months after giving birth.[better source needed] Kerr also posed nude for a 2011 Harper's Bazaar photo shoot. In October at Paris Fashion Week SS12, Kerr walked for Dior, Lanvin, Chanel, John Galliano, Stella McCartney, Viktor & Rolf and Loewe. Kerr was chosen to present the $2.5 million Victoria's Secret Fantasy Treasure Bra for their fashion show in November 2011.
In January 2012, she was named ambassador for Qantas.In August, Kerr graced the cover of Vogue Turkey and in November, was named the new face of high street brand Mango, replacing Kate Moss for its spring/summer 2013 campaign. Kerr placed at No. 7 in Forbes 2012 list of the world's highest-paid models with earnings of $4 million.
2013-present: Continued Success
In March 2013, negotiations to renew her five-year contract with David Jones "fell through," leading to a peaceful split between the two parties. The following month, it was reported that Kerr's three-year, $1-million contract with Victoria's Secret was not being renewed. Anonymous sources claimed Kerr had a "difficult reputation" and was not "a big seller for VS"; however, Kerr's camp stated she was unable to commit the necessary time to the brand. In response, Victoria's Secret chief marketing officer Ed Razek stated he had already invited Kerr to walk in that year's fashion show.Kerr graced the April issue of Vogue Australia and the July issue of Vogue Korea.
She was ranked No. 2 in Forbes 2013 list of the world's highest-paid models, with estimated earnings of $7.2 million which is $3.2 million more and a jump of five places in the list from the previous year. In October, Kerr was named the face of Austrian crystal house Swarovski for their fall 2013 compaign, and that December she starred in social shopping website ShopStyle's first national campaign.
In February 2014, Kerr replaced Gisele Bundchen as the face of Swedish clothing brand H&M. She then featured in high-profile campaigns for Reebok and Wonderbra. In March, Kerr opened and closed for Sonia Rykiel at Fall/Winter Paris Fashion Week.On 22 April 2014, Kerr released her first single online, featuring her and crooner Bobby Fox, in a cover of Elvis Presley's "You're The Boss".In July, Kerr became the face of the Escada fragrance, Joyful, attending the launch at the brand's flagship Munich store. Kerr also graced the cover of the May issue of Vogue Taiwan, the July issue of Vogue Australia and the November, 15th anniversary issue of Vogue Japan, shot by Mario Testino. Kerr ranked No. 3 on the 2014 Forbes list of highest earning models, earning an estimated $7 million.
Kerr graced the cover of the February 2015 issue of American Harper's Bazaar, shot by Richardson. She also covered the March issue of Australian Harper's Bazaar, shot by Kai Z Feng.In July, Kerr designed a jewelry line with Swarovski, having served as the face of the brand since 2013. Kerr spoke of the collaboration, "I wanted it to be reflective of myself and my personality and who I am. And [Swarovski] really let me have full creative control. I knew what I wanted. I wanted it to be fine, and delicate and have meaning, and hopefully, inspiration".
In February 2010, Kerr became the subject of global headlines when David Kiely, a banker at Macquarie Bank in Sydney, was caught viewing explicit photos of her on his computer while in the background of a colleague's live television interview with Channel 7. Within days, a clip of the interview uploaded onto YouTube received over 1.3 million hits. Eventually, Kiely was suspended and an internet campaign launched on his behalf. Kerr herself gave him her backing: "I am told there is a petition to save his job, and of course I would sign it." The incident prompted a 100% increase in the number of Google searches for Kerr's name. A few days after the incident, Macquarie Bank announced that Kiely would keep his job.
Kerr has frequently been said to be one of the sexiest women in the world. Models.com ranks her number 4 on the Top 20 sexiest models. She has been ranked in FHM's '100 Sexiest Women' poll at No. 56 in 2009, No. 36 in 2010, No. 44 in 2011, No. 51 in 2012, No. 56 in 2013 and No. 48 in 2014. Kerr was named one of the "100 Hottest Women of All-Time" by Men's Health beating the likes of Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly and Sophia Loren. She was named "Sexiest Woman Alive 2012" by Esquire UK. She has also regularly ranked on AskMen's list of Top 99 Women coming in at No. 19 in 2008, No. 46 in 2009, No. 10 in 2010, No. 5 in 2011, No. 25 in 2012, No. 6 in 2013 and No. 46 in 2014.
The US has fallen in love with her. We love her because she has the most incredible girl-next-door look and she's also insanely beautiful. It means women are not intimidated by her looks and guys think they might be able to talk to her. It's a fantastic combination ... people want to be around her; she's fun on a shoot … and she's not stupid, which can be a very annoying trait among some models.
Model agent Ursula Hufnagl described Kerr as "the perfect endorsement", citing her ability to "truly sell a product".
In 2003, Kerr began dating finance broker Adrian Camilleri. Following an Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigation, Camilleri was found guilty on five counts of fraudulent behaviour from February 2003 to February 2004. Kerr subsequently ended the relationship. A 2007 newspaper report claims that Kerr suffered financially "after taking her boyfriend's financial advice" but chose not to take legal action.
She formerly dated Jay Lyon (Brent Tuhtan), the lead singer of the band Tamarama, who has made appearances on season one of the MTV series The City. Kerr starred in Tamarama's video clip for "Everything To Me". The two began dating in 2003 and had a four-year relationship, which ended amicably in mid-2007.
Kerr began dating English actor Orlando Bloom in late 2007. In 2009, a gang of thieves known as the Bling Ring broke into Bloom's home. The group stole luxury brand clothing and jewellery. In this case, the ringleader allegedly wanted Kerr's Victoria's Secret lingerie. Kerr and Bloom announced their engagement in June 2010, and they were married the following month. Kerr gave birth to their son, Flynn Christopher Blanchard Copeland Bloom, on 6 January 2011. The middle name Christopher comes from Kerr's deceased ex-boyfriend, Christopher Middlebrook who died in a car accident in 1998. In October 2013, Kerr and Bloom announced that they had separated several months earlier, and intend to end their marriage.
In response to claims that Kerr is a practicing Buddhist, she told The Telegraph, "I'm not Buddhist. I'm Christian. I pray every day. I meditate every day and I do yoga. I'm not religious, I'm spiritual. And praying is something my grandmother taught me as well. To pray and be grateful, have gratitude, is a big thing for me." She later told Into The Gloss:
I like to pray and I like to meditate. Doing just three minutes of prayer and a minimum of five minutes meditation twice a day sets the tone—like an arrow so that you're hitting your target. When I pray I always thank Mother Nature for all the beauty in the world; it's about having an attitude of gratitude. And then I pray to Christ to say, 'Thank you for this day and my family and my health,' and now that I'm older I've added, 'Please illuminate me. Please open my heart chakra. Open my aperture and uplift my consciousness so that I can be the best version of myself.'
She credits meditation, speaking with friends, and writing as ways of dealing with challenges such as Middlebrook's death, and "makes it a priority to pray about forgiving herself and others."
|2007||How I Met Your Mother||Herself|
|2012||Project Runway All Stars||Guest Judge|
|2012||Project Runway Australia||Guest Judge|
- Maresca, Rachel. "Orlando Bloom speaks out on Miranda Kerr separation: 'Life sometimes doesn't work out exactly as we plan'". New York: NY Daily News. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- Miranda Kerr at the Fashion Model Directory
- "Miranda Kerr". People.com. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- Kerr, Miranda (3 December 2012). Treasure Yourself: Power Thoughts for My Generation. London: Hay House. ISBN 9781401941895.
- Miranda Kerr OneThousandModels. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- Rachel Brown (11 July 2010). Is Miranda Kerr pregnant?. The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Miranda's blog. PortmansComAu. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- "I'm pretty much just Australian – obviously, in my blood, there's a lot of English, I have Scottish, I have a little bit of French, I have English."
- Elissa Blake (11 November 2007). Miranda's Model Life[dead link] The Daily Telegraph Australia. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- Miranda Kerr Childhood Photos. Childhood Photos rare Collections
- Melissa Field (8 October 2009). Miranda's Kerr-Ching! factor. The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Miranda Kerr.. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Holly Byrnes (3 April 2008). David Jones is Kerr's new darling. News.com.au. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- Kiri Blakeley (30 April 2008). In Pictures: The World's 15 Top-Earning Models −10 Forbes. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- Stuart Pink (1 June 2009). Miranda Kerr strips naked for the koalas. The Sun. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- KORA Organics by Miranda Kerr. Koraorganics.com. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Miranda Kerr – Advertising. Models.com. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Lauren Streib (27 May 2009). The World's Top-Earning Models −9. Forbes. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Miranda Kerr – Fashion Model. New York. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Gabriel Bell (18 June 2009). Terry Richardson and Most of the World's Models Gang Up for Pirelli Calendar 2010. New York. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- James Lim (26 September 2011). Prada or Balenciaga: Who Carries More Weight in Modeling?. New York. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Prada's Fashion Show Gets Heavenly (1 March 2010). CocoPerez.com. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- Miranda Kerr is Vogue's first pregnant cover mode. Novafm.com.au. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Maysa Rawa (4 March 2011). They don't call her super for nothing: Miranda Kerr is back on the catwalk just TWO months after giving birth. Daily Mail. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Miranda Kerr nude pic in Harper's Bazaar shows her post-baby career is shaping up gorgeously" (7 October 2011). The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- Miranda Kerr – Shows. Models.com. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- Ariana Finlayson (19 October 2011). "See Miranda Kerr's $2.5 Million Bra". Us Magazine. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- Fiona Byrne (13 January 2012). Does model Miranda Kerr have what it takes to get Qantas soaring again?. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Miranda Kerr's Vogue Turkey Cover Is Rather Odd". Huffington Post. 26 July 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Miranda Kerr takes over as Mango rep". Sky News. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- Adams, Chanel. "Miranda Kerr takes over as the new face of Mango". Examiner.
- Krupnick, Ellie (22 March 2013). "Miranda Kerr 'Breaks Up' With David Jones, Replaced By Jessica Gomes & Montana Cox". Huffington Post. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Miranda Kerr Reportedly Dropped As VS Angel; Kate Upton and Diddy May Be Dating". Daily Beast. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Miranda Kerr leaving Victoria's Secret, 3 months/year too big a commitment". Fox News Channel. 11 April 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Miranda Kerr Covers Vogue Korea For The July 2013 Issue (PHOTOS)". Huffington Post. 14 July 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- Le, Vanna (19 August 2013). "The World's Highest-Paid Models, 2013: Gisele's Earnings Down, Kerr's Are Up". Forbes.com. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Hamilton, Carmen. "Behind the scenes on Miranda Kerr's next major campaign". Vogue Australia. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Sugar, Lisa. "Miranda Kerr Is the New Face of ShopStyle". PopSugar. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Evans, Laura. "She really is selfie obsessed! Miranda Kerr poses, pouts and snaps about in flirty new H&M ad". The Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "It's the catwalk not the llama strut: Miranda Kerr heads down the runway in Paris wearing over-the-top animal style gillet". The Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Madeline Boardman (22 April 2014). "Miranda Kerr Sings on "You're the Boss" with Bobby Fox: Listen to Supermodel's Debut Single". Us Weekly. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Miranda Kerr in Munich". Escada. 29 July 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "She won't be single for long! Miranda Kerr flaunts her sizzling cleavage on the cover of Vogue Taiwan's May issue". The Daily Mail. 29 April 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Watch: Miranda Kerr for Vogue Australia". Vogue Australia. 16 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Miranda Kerr's Vogue Japan Photshoot Draws Criticism". Huffington Post. 30 September 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "The World's Highest-Paid Models 2014". Forbes. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Brown, Laura. "Kerr Boom!". Harper's Bazaar USA. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Miranda Kerr is Our March 2015 Cover Star". Harper's Bazaar Australia. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- Fleming, Olivia. "Miranda Kerr Launches Her First Jewelry Line". Elle.com. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Campaigners rally to save 'racy pics' banker Dave's job" (4 February 2010). CNN. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- "Australia banker caught viewing erotic photos keeps job". (5 February 2010). BBC News. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "Miranda Kerr's banker fan David Kiely to keep job" (5 February 2010). The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Top Sexiest models. Models.com. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- Miranda Kerr. FHM. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- The 100 Hottest Women of All-Time (2011). Men's Health. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Miranda Kerr – Exclusive Video". Esquire UK. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "#6 Miranda Kerr". AskMen. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Kerr's ex Guilty (10 June 2009). The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Jonathon Moran (11 November 2007). Miranda Kerr single but love may Bloom. The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Orlando Bloom Meets Miranda Kerr's Parents (28 April 2008). People. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Nancy Jo Sales (20 October 2009). The Suspects Wore Louboutins. Vanity Fair. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- It's official! Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr are engaged. (21 June 2010) NY Daily News. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr Secretly Marry! (22 July 2010). People. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- Sarah Michaud (19 January 2011). Miranda Kerr: I Had a Baby Boy with Orlando Bloom!. People. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- Eamonn Duff (9 January 2011). It's a baby boy for KerrBloom. The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 8 January 2011.
- Miranda Kerr Names Flynn After Late Boyfriend. celebritybabies.eople.com. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Flynn Christopher Bloom: A Son for Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom. Waltzing More Than Matilda. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- At home with Miranda Kerr – the Telegraph.com.au
- Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom Split. The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- Grose, Jessica. "Miranda Kerr: everyone's cup of tea?". The Telegraph. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Miranda Kerr: 'I'm Christian' and 'I pray every day'". Fox News. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
Kerr also took the opportunity to clarify her religion, which has often been misreported. "…I'm not Buddhist. Orlando is," she told The Telegraph. "I'm Christian."
- "Miranda Kerr's 7 Rules For Adulthood". Into The Gloss. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Martinez, Jessica (19 August 2014). "Supermodel Miranda Kerr Says Prayer, Gratitude, Forgiveness Are Daily Rules She Lives By". The Christian Post. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
The Australian model says she is Christian despite previous reports that she is a practicing Buddhist and believes in the power of forgiveness even in the "little things like looking at someone the wrong way, or snapping at someone." She also notes that she makes it a priority to pray about forgiving herself and others because when she does, it creates an "energy shift" in her life. "Even those that we find challenging to be around are sometimes the people that need the prayers the most," said Kerr. "If you've had an intense conversation with someone, a good thing to do would be to say to them, 'I forgive you, and please forgive me.' We all say things sometimes to hurt people, so it's important to forgive and have peace …"
- "Filmography by TV series for Miranda Kerr". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miranda Kerr.|
- Official website
- Miranda Kerr at the Internet Movie Database
- Miranda Kerr at the Fashion Model Directory
- Miranda Kerr at Models.com