- The elevation of the municipal seat is 632 meters.
- It became a municipality in 1997
- The postal code (CEP) is 39465-000
- Statistical microregion: Januária
Miravânia is located on the left bank of the São Francisco River. It is connected by dirt road to São João das Missões by paved BR-135. The distance is 112 km. Neighboring municipalities are: Montalvânia, Manga, Cônego Marinho, and São João das Missões.
The economy is based on agriculture with emphasis on cattle raising. There were 10,000 head in 2006. The main agricultural crops were bananas, rice, corn, and manioc. The GDP was R$12,247,000 in 2005.
This municipality is extremely isolated from major population centers and suffers from drought and poor soils. It is one of the poorest in the state and in the country. Like many impoverished districts it fought for municipal autonomy to apply for government assistance programs.
- Municipal Human Development Index: .644 (2000)
- State ranking: 761 out of 853 municipalities as of 2000
- National ranking: 3,857 out of 5,138 municipalities as of 2000
(For the complete list see Frigoletto)
- Infant mortality rate: 46.15 (2003) The rate for Minas Gerais was 17.40; the rate for Brazil was 18.91.
- Illiteracy rate: 31% (15 years old or older)(2003) The rate for Minas Gerais was 11.96; the rate for Brazil was 13.63
- Health clinics: 2