This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mircea Cantor at Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona
|Known for||Video, Animation, Sculpture, Photography, Drawing, Painting, Conceptual Art|
|Awards||Marcel Duchamp Prize, 2011
Ricard Prize, 2004
Mircea Cantor (born 1977) is a Romanian-born artist who follows in the tradition of French artist Marcel Duchamp in that he employs readymade objects. Cantor's choice of media is diverse, in that he has employed video, animation, sculpture, drawing, painting, and Installation art in his work.
Cantor's 2005 video work, "Deeparture", which was on view in the contemporary galleries at The Museum of Modern Art, features a deer and a wolf together in a pristine white box environment. Cantor's work is included in The Museum of Modern Art, the Walker Art Center, The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Centre Pompidou, The Israel Museum, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Abteiberg Museum, Magasin 3, as well as in other collections worldwide. He was awarded with the Ricard Prize in 2004; in 2011 he won Best Dance Short Film at the Tiburon International Film Festival with Tracking Happiness. In 2011, he received the Marcel Duchamp Prize.
Selected solo exhibitions
- Mircea Cantor: RESTLESS: Films and Other Works, Museum of the Moving Image (New York City), 2012
- Mircea Cantor: Heilige Blumen (Holy Flowers), Kunsthalle Nürnberg, 2010
- Mircea Cantor: Tracking Happiness, Kunsthaus Zurich, 2009
- Mircea Cantor: The Title Is the Last Thing, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2006
Notes and references
- Demos, T.J. "Mircea Cantor: The Title is the Last Thing". Philadelphia: Harper Perennial, 2006
- "Mircea Cantor". Artists. artnet. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Mircea Cantor". The Collection. MOMA. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- CHONG, DORYUN. "Recent Acquisitions: Mircea Cantor's Deeparture and Cao Fei's COSPlayers". Magazine. Walker Art. Retrieved 10 May 2013.