This biographical article is written like a résumé. (September 2015)
Mirela Roznoveanu is a literary critic, writer, and journalist who has published novels, literary criticism, essays, and poetry. She was a noted dissident journalist during the turbulent period of communist Romania's late eighties.
She holds an MA in Romance Languages from University of Bucharest (1970), a master's degree in Information Science magna cum laude and Beta Phi Mu from New York City's Pratt Institute (1996), and a Certificate in Internet Technologies - New York University (1997.)
After the refusal to attend the Communist Academy "Stefan Gheorghiu" she was fired in 1974 from the literary and cultural magazine "Tomis" in Constanta where she had been a senior columnist. https://web.archive.org/web/20160302163658/http://tulcealibrary.ro/roznoveanu-mirela.itd In 1975 she moved to Bucharest where she contributed to the Romanian Television, as a free-lance TV host and producer; between 1978 and 1989 she worked as a senior columnist for the cultural magazine "Magazin", published by the "Romania Libera" newspaper; in April 1989, during the process of the journalists from the "Bacanu Group", she had been investigated by the Securitate, moved and punished to work as a " health worker"; her books and writing were banned http://www.corectnews.com/arts/un-sfert-de-secol-de-pres-postcomunist-analize-note-comentarii-evalu-ri-0 (5. Grupul "Romania Libera" bulverseaza Securitatea si Sectia de presa a CC al PCR). She had been part of the dissident group of journalists who took over the "Romania libera" newspaper from the hands of the Communist government in 23 December 1989, making it the first independent and anti-communist newspaper in Romania. She became a senior columnist, member in the board of directors, and a founder member of the "R" Company SRL. http://archive-ro-2014.com/open-archive/4468824/2014-08-23/http://www.edituracartex.ro/component/content/article/37-carti-noi/64-premiul-qlucian-blagaq-al-academiei-romane-pentru-civilizatia-romanului-de-mirela-roznoveanu-.html She had been also a founder member of Alianta Civica,the most important post-revolution pro-democracy group.
In 1991, she moved to the U.S. where she has continued her writing career. She had been a tenured, full-time faculty member of the NYU School of Law (Associate Curator: International and Foreign Law Librarian, 1996–2013). From 2005-2015 she had been the Founder and the Editor of Globalex http://www.nyulawglobal.org/globalex as Adjunct Associate Curator with the NYU Hauser Global Law School Program and the Honorary Editor (2015-).
On December 2000, Mirela Roznoveanu was honored by outgoing President of Romania Emil Constantinescu, for exceptional contributions from abroad in the service of Romanian culture and democracy. Mirela has been named an Officer of the National Order for Faithful Service.
Her book The Civilization of the Novel: A History of Fiction Writing from Ramayana to Don Quixote received the 2008 Award of the Romanian Society of Comparative Literature and the 2008 Award of the Romanian Academy.http://www.hotnews.ro/stiri-cultura-8130507-premiile-academiei-romane-anul-2008.htm Read more on her personal web page https://wp.nyu.edu/mroznoveanu/
Interview: Mirela Roznoveanu's Four Decades of Professional Writing: A Dialog with Vladimir Wertsman for Multicultural Review https://archive.is/20130416134745/http://vetiver.weblog.ro/2011/11/29/mirela-roznoveanu%E2%80%99s-four-decades-of-professional-writing-a-dialog-with-vladimir-wertsman-for-multicultural-review/%23axzz1fzZVzDe0
She was rewarded in 2013 the AALL-FCIL SIS award http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/Mirela-Roznovschi-AALL-award
She won in 2015 the Reynolds & Flores Publication Award http://www.aallnet.org/sections/fcil/grants-awards/Awards/Docs-Vault/Reynolds-and-Flores-Publication-Award.html
- Modern Readings, essays, Bucharest, Cartea Românească Publishing House, 1978
- D.R.Popescu. Critical monograph, Bucharest, Albatros Publishing House, 1983
- Civilizatia Romanului (The Civilization of the Novel: A History of Fiction Writing from Ramayana to Don Quixote). An essay on comparative literature, Albatros Publishing House, vol.I −1983, Bucharest; Cartea Românească Publishing House vol. II – 1991, Bucharest
- Totdeauna Toamna (Always in the Autumn), novel, Bucharest, Cartea Românească Publishing House, 1988
- Viata pe Fuga (Life on the Run), novel, Bucharest, Sirius Publishing House, 1997;
- Invatarea Lumii (Apprehending the World), poetry, Bucharest, Luceafărul Foundation Publishing House, 1998
- Platonia, novel, Bucharest, Cartea Românească Publishing House, 1999
- Timpul celor Alesi (The Time of the Chosen), novel, Bucharest, Univers Publishing House, 1999
- Toward a Cyberlegal Culture, essays, New York, Transnational Publishers 2001, 2002 second ed.
- Born again—in Exile, poetry, New York, iUniverse, 2004
- The Life Manager and Other Stories, novellas, New York, iUniverse, 2004
- The Poems and the Poet. A multimedia companion to Born Again – in Exile. Eastern Shore Productions, 2007;
- Elegies from New York City, New York, Koja Press, 2008
- Civilizatia Romanului (The Civilization of the Novel: A History of Fiction Writing from Ramayana to Don Quixote.) An essay on comparative literature,Cartex Publishing House,Bucharest 2008 (2nd edition)
- Life On the Run. A novel. Xlibris, 2018. Translation from the Romanian of Viata pe Fuga.
- Constantin Ticu Dumitrescu: http://romanialibera.ro/aldine/history/zece-ani-de-la-plecarea-lui-anton-uncu-130400
- Dan Pavel. Putem reusi doar impreuna. CAPITOLUL III: MISCARI DE REZISTENTA SI DE DIZIDENTA p. 522 Grupul de initiativa al Aliantei Civice (6 noiembrie 1990) https://www.scribd.com/doc/55574705/Dan-Pavel-Putem-Reusi-Doar-Impreuna-2#scribd
- Faculty Titles - NYU : https://www.nyu.edu/faculty/governance-policies-and-procedures/faculty-handbook/the-faculty/faculty-membership-meetings-and-titles/faculty-titles.html "Associate Curators and Assistant Curators (…) are appointed on the same terms and conditions as Associate Professors and Assistant Professors on the tenure track at the University…" "Curators and Associate Curators in the Division of the Libraries and in the School of Law (…) are granted tenure rights under conditions similar to those applicable to tenured Professors and Associate Professors. Only full-time Curators and Associate Curators may achieve permanent or continuous tenure at the University."
- "Decretul 604 din 14 decembrie 2000 (Decretul 604/2000)" (in Romanian). Retrieved 4 June 2011.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP & ACTIVITIES:American Association of Law Libraries; American Society of International Law; Beta Phi Mu Honor Society – Chapter Theta; Member of the Romanian Writers Guild (1990–); Member of the Academy of American Poets.
References in Books
- Titu Popescu, (Germany), Mirela – un Paradox (Mirela Roznoveanu – monograph essay), Pop Verlag-Marineasa, 2005
- Mircea Zaciu, Marian Papahagi, Aurel Sasu, Dicționarul Scriitorilor Români, volumul 4: R – Z, Editura Albatros, București, 2002
- Aurel Sasu, Dicționarul Scriitorilor Români din Statele Unite și Canada, Editura Albatros, București, 2001
- Marian Popa (Germany), Istoria literaturii române de azi pe mâine, 2 vols, București, Fundația Luceafărul, 2001
- "Dicționarul General al Literaturii Române", Academia Română, 2004–2008.
- Gabriel Pleșea (US), Scriitori români la New York, Interviuri, București, Editura Vestala, 1998
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in American Law
- Who's Who of American Women
- Who's Who in the World
- Gale Encyclopedia of Multicultural America, 2014. 3rd edition, vol. 4, p. 25.