Miriam Kastner (born January 22, 1935) is an American oceanographer and geochemist. She is Distinguished Professor at the University of California at San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
Early life and education
Kastner was born in Bratislava, then part of Czechoslovakia. She gained her M.Sc. in Geology from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1964 followed by a Ph.D.from Harvard University in 1970.
In 1972, while a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Chicago, Kastner was approached by Scripps and asked to apply for an upcoming position as an Assistant Professor; she has been at Scripps ever since.
Kastner's research expertise is in marine geochemistry; early research focused on the origin of authigenic feldspars and of zeolites in oceanic sediments, the diagenetic transformations of opal-A and the control of dolomite formation. She also did important work on strontium distribution and on phosphate deposits. Her interests include fluid transport in the oceanic lithosphere, marine gas hydrates at convergent margins, chemical paleoceanography and the mineralogy and genesis of hydrothermal marine deposits.
Awards and honors
- Guggenheim Fellow (1982)
- Charles R. Bennett Service through Chemistry Award, American Chemical Society (1984)
- Ocean Science Education Award, Office of Naval Research (1991) 
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (1993)
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union (1997)
- Fellow, Geochemical Society and European Association of Geochemistry (1998)
- Hans Petterson Medal, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (1999) 
- Fellow, Geological Society of America (2004)
- Maurice Ewing Medal, American Geophysical Union (2008)
- Fellow, International Association of GeoChemistry (2010)
- Francis Shepard Medal for Excellence in Marine Geology, Society for Sedimentary Geology (2011)
- V. M. Goldshmidt Award, Geochemical Society (2015)| http://www.geochemsoc.org/news/2015/02/16/miriam-kastner-named-2015-vm-goldschmidt-medalist
- Harkewicz, Laura (23 May 2006). "Oral History of Miriam Kastner" (PDF). University of California. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "Miriam Kastner Abbreviated CV" (PDF). Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Elderfield, Henry. "2008 Maurice Ewing Medal Winner - Miriam Kastner". American Geophysical Union. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography. "Miriam Kastner". Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. "Miriam Kastner". Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- American Chemical Society. "The Charles R. Bennett Service Through Chemistry Award". Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science. "Fellows". Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- American Geophysical Union. "Miriam Kastner". Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Geochemical Society. "Geochemical Fellows". Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- The Geological Society of America. "All Active and Current GSA Fellows". Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "IAGC Awards for 2010" (PDF). Newsletter of the International Association of GeoChemistry. June 2010. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- Society for Sedimentary Geology. "SEPM Awards". Retrieved 2013-11-16.