Shillong, Assam, India
|Alma mater||Gildford School of Art|
|Known for||Wood engraving, illustration|
Miriam Macgregor (born 1935) is a British author, illustrator, wood engraver, and fine press compositor. Born in Shillong, Assam, Macgregor was educated at the Guildford School of Art. She began her professional career in the art department of the publisher B. T. Batsford, before becoming a freelance artist. In 1977, she began to work for the fine press publisher, Whittington Press. At the time, all type was set by hand. She still works at the Whittington Press as a compositor and illustrator. She has created images for other fine press publishers, including the Folio Society and Primrose Hill Press. Macgregor is a self-taught wood engraver and member of the Society of Wood Engravers and Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers. She has furnished wood engravings for the horticultural journal, Hortus, in addition to countless wood engravings and pochoir illustrations for books and posters published by the Whittington Press. In addition to the texts she has illustrated, her subjects primarily concern English rural life, farming, architecture, botany, and felines. Macgregor has published several collections of her own images, and curated a collection of contemporary wood engravings of cats, published by Primrose Hill Press in 1999 as Cat cuts.
- Midwinter: wood-engravings. (Whittington Press, 2012)
- Miriam Macgregor: thirty-one wood engravings chosen by the artist with an autobiographical note. (Primrose Academy & Rampant Lions Press, 2003)
- Cat cuts: a collection of engravers' cats. (Primrose Hill Press, 1999)
- New Castle: a brief encounter. (Whittington Press, 1998)
- Country chaos. (Whittington Press, 1980)
- 1943-, Brett, Simon (2002). An engraver's globe : wood engraving world-wide in the twenty-first century. Smith Settle (Firm). London. p. 253. ISBN 978-1901648126. OCLC 49970258.
- Jones, Cordelia (1989). Engraved gardens. Cambridge: Silent Books. p. 56. ISBN 978-1851830169. OCLC 39977322.
- Burton, Anthony (2017). Crafted in britain: the survival of britain's traditional industries. Place of publication not identified: Adlard Coles Nautical. p. 195. ISBN 9781472922830. OCLC 948336331.
- Macgregor, Miriam (2003). "The forgotten pleasures of hand-setting". Matrix. 12: n.p – via ARTbibliographies Modern.
- Randle, John; Macgregor, Miriam; Henry, Barbara; Whittington Press; Center for Book Arts (New York, N.Y.); Museum of Printing History (Houston, Tex.) (2008). Illustrated fine printing: Whittington & Matrix in America. New York: Center for Book Arts. p. 10. OCLC 417661764.
- Campbell, Nancy (June 2012). "Sweeping statement". Printmaking Today. 21 (2): 33. ISSN 0960-9253 – via ARTbibliographies Modern.
- Whittington Press
- Modern British Wood Engraving video, featuring Miriam Macgregor (trailer for longer video by Society of Wood Engravers)
- Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers biographical statement
- Short biography, Slightly Foxed website
|This article about an engraver, etcher or printmaker from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|