|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
Miss Temeke 1997
Miss Tanzania 1998 - (Top 10)
M-Net Face of Africa 1998 - (Top 5)
Elite Model Look Tanzania 1999 - (Top 17 at Elite Model Look 1999)
Miss Earth Tanzania
Miss Earth 2008 - (1st runner-up)
Miriam Odemba (born 1983) (from Arusha, Tanzania) is a Tanzanian model. She started her modeling career at an early age and gained fame when she won the Miss Temeke title in 1997. The following year at age of 15 she took part at Miss East Africa 1998 and in the modeling competition M-Net Face of Africa 1998 becoming a runner up. She later participated at Elite Model Look 1999 contest and Miss Earth 2008 where she took the Miss Air crown (1st Runner Up).
At 13, her life was tough and her parents had to move to their uncle. She always wondered what life was all about then. As she grew older, she perceived God’s message of love and started appreciating everything around her especially the nature, God’s greatest gift to not only to her but to all of us.
The path to success for Miriam started back in 1997 when she first competed in a local beauty pageant Miss Temeke at age of 14. She went on to compete nationally for the Miss Tanzania crown but ended up in the Top 10 and was not able to win the crown. However this was not the end but the beginning for her who tried her luck at several beauty pageants including Miss East Africa in 1998. However Miriam Odemba got her break at the end of 1998 when she took part in an African regional model search – Mnet Face of Africa 1998 and becoming one of the runners-up. In 1999 at age of 16 she was selected as Elite Model Look Tanzania, and competed at Elite Model Look 1999 in Nice, France placing among the Top 17 and also got an exclusive contract with Elite Model Management in New York city. However, due to personal problems and the sudden loss of her manager Amina Mongi, her contract with Elite ended without implementation.
Miriam struck out on a new path in entertainment and worked briefly in modeling and dancing in China and she also took part in the Miss Kite beauty pageant in 2001. Despite Not winning, she later she launched her modeling career in Europe and Asia.
Miss Earth 2008
In the final competition of the eighth edition of the international beauty pageant Miss Earth, Odemba was announced as one of sixteen semi-finalists who would move forward to compete for the title. She achieved one of the eight highest scores in the swimsuit competition for her stage chops, which advanced her as one of the top eight finalists to participate in the evening gown competition. She then pulled away for the lead as she articulated in her video interview about environmental concerns as a key issue in her country, in which she advanced to the top four.
In the last round, the court of four were asked one question, “What would you tell US president-elect Barack Obama about the state of the global environment if ever you were to meet him?” She placed the second highest score in the interview round and at the conclusion of the competition, she was crowned Miss Earth Air.
Odemba also won Miss Aficionado, a minor award. Other winners include: Miss Philippines Karla Paula Henry as Miss Earth 2008, Miss Mexico Abigail Elizalde as Miss Earth-Water (second runner-up), Miss Brazil Tatiane Alves as Miss Earth-Fire (third runner-up). Miriam returned home on November 24 to her country, Tanzania. Maria, her national director and whose company named Odemba as the country’s envoy to the Miss Earth global pageant, welcomed her and prepared a tumultuous homecoming with a parade and press conference for winning Miss Earth Air 2008. The Miss Earth pageant was held on November 9, 2008 at the Clark Expo Amphitheater in Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines. Eighty-five delegates arrived from October 19, 2008 in the Philippines. The pageant was broadcast live via ABS-CBN in the Philippines and to many countries worldwide via Star World, The Filipino Channel and other partner networks.
Odemba's closest friend among the Miss Earth 2008 top four runner-up winners—named after the four elements—is her pageant roommate Karla Henry, Miss Earth 2008 from the Philippines. They plan to climb Mount Kilimanjaro together.
- "Odemba set to seal lucrative management contract". This Day, United Republic of Tanzania. 2008-11-11. Retrieved 2008-11-30.[dead link]
- Odemba Biography
- "Miss Earth Post Coronation". The Jamaicans. 2008-11-19. Archived from the original on 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- Vitug, Joseph M. (2008-11-09). "Miss Earth 2008: At The Homestretch". The OPMB Worldwide.
- Omary, Majuto (2008-11-11). "Miriam Odemba akuna wengi Miss Earth". Mwananchi. Archived from the original on December 10, 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- Jasso, Alejandro (2008-11-18). "Abigail Elizalde, quien gana la corona, de Miss Earth Water en Filipinas, promete sembrar 20 mil árboles". Noticias Oaxaca, Mexico. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- Lebumfacil, Marigold (2008-11-11). "Cebu bet is 1st asian to win Miss Earth". Philippine Star. Archived from the original on 2017-04-23. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- Č., M. (2008-11-05). "Bojana Traljić juri krunu". Blic Online, Serbia. Archived from the original on 2008-12-10. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- "Filipinler'de düzenlenen ve 85 ülkenin güzellerinin yarıştığı Kainat Güzellik Yarışması önceki gece yapıldı". Kıbrıs Gazetesi, Cyprus. 2008-11-10. Archived from the original on 2009-03-15. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- Jorge, Rome (2008-11-16). "Miss Earth 2008: The world of Karla Paula Ginteroy Henry". The Manila Times (Sunday Times). Archived from the original on 2009-03-16. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- Global Beauties- Miss Earth 2008 Special Coverage Archived 2008-11-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Omary, Majuto (2008-11-10). "Tanzanian shines in Miss Earth pageant". The Citizen Daily, United Republic of Tanzania. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- Reporter, Daily News (2008-11-24). "Odemba to back green revolution drive". Daily News Online, United Republic of Tanzania. Archived from the original on 2008-12-10. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- Favila, Aaron (2008-09-16). "Filipinas recebem concurso da Miss Terra 2008". The Associated Press and Globo. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- Berioso, Noli (2008-09-16). "The 8th Wonder of The Earth Begins". The OPMB Worldwide. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- Adina, Armin (2008-11-10). "RP bet crowned Ms Earth 2008". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Archived from the original on 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
Angel Delight Kileo
| Miss Tanzania Earth
| Miss Earth-Air