This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Province||Western Province, Sri Lanka|
Mirigama is an economic hub in the region, and is a popular shopping centre. It also has a large number of businesses and public institutions, which results in a large population and a large number of people commuting to and from the city on a daily basis.
The city is located on the AB29, which connects the A1 Colombo - Kandy road with the B322 Ja-Ela - Kurunegala road. The B324 (Mirigama - Negombo road) is one of the main roads that originate from the town. The city center is 32 km (20 mi) (approximately one hour) from the Bandaranaike International Airport. Mirigama Railway Station is a major railway station on the Main Line and has frequent rail connections to Colombo, Badulla, Hatton, Kandy, Maho, Polgahawela and Rambukkana among others. A regular train trip from Mirigama to Colombo takes approximately 1 hour 20 mins. An express train ride from Mirigama to Colombo roughly takes about 1 hour. The proposed electric rail system is expected to cut this time down to 25 mins.
- SLAF Mirigama
- The Mirigama Super Race Track (commonly known as the Kanway Autodrome) - national-level racetrack, 1.4 km (0.87 mi) in length.
- Sri Lanka Army Base, Ambepussa
- Train signal control & processing Centre Kandalama
- Bandaranayake Maha Vidyalaya
- Bothale Kanishta Vidyalaya
- Dudley Senanayake Adarsha MV
- D.S.Senanayake Central College
- Henepola KV
- Kandangamuwa MV
- Keenadeniya MV
Mirigama has been identified as one of the major industrialized towns in Sri Lanka from as far as the 1980's. This is primarily due to its location in a slightly hilly countryside, presence of a BOI and an Industrial Zone and its proximity to the Bandaranayake International Airport. The factories as of January 2019 are;
- Cargills - Highland Dairy Factory
- Cargills - Magic Ice cream Factory
- Damro - Innovex Machinery Factory
- Damro - Furniture Factory
- Damro - Daxer Polymer Factory
- Brandix - Textile Manufacturing Facility
- Courtaulds - Textile Manufacturing Facility
- SilverMill - International Exporter in Organic Products
- Tamash - International Exporter in Organic Sauces
- Aussie Oats Milling - International Food Processing Company
- Lalan Rubbers - Rubber Processing Plant
- Celon Shell Flour - Flour Processing Plant
- Amtrad - International Concrete Expoter
- DR Exports - Furniture Manufacturer
- Etna Rubber Exports - Rubber Exporter
- D.S. Senanayake - first Prime Minister of Ceylon
- Karu Jayasuriya, MP - current Speaker of the Parliament of Sri Lanka
- Kokila Harshani MP
- Mahendra Wijerathne MP
- Udena Wijerathne MPC
- Transportation Engineering Division, University of Moratuwa. "Economic Feasibility Analysis for Central Expressway Project: Final Report" (PDF). cep.lk. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- "Dream becomes a reality".
|This Western Province, Sri Lanka location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|