|Full name||Mirko Salvi|
|Date of birth||14 February 1994|
|Place of birth||Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
(on loan from Basel)
|2014–2015||→ Biel (loan)||35||(0)|
|2016–||→ FC Lugano (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 30 June 2015.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 31 March 2015
Mirko Salvi (* 14 February 1994 in Yverdon-les-Bains) is a Swiss professional footballer who plays as Goalkeeper. He is currently under contract with FC Basel, but spent on year on loan to Biel in the Swiss Challenge League.
Salvi started his youth football with Yverdon-Sport. In 2009, he transferred to Basel and played in their U-16 team where he won the Swiss Championship at U-16 level. He also played in the Basel U-18 team and one year in their U-21 team before he signed a three year professional contract in May 2012 and joined their first team squad.
At the end of the Swiss Super League season 2012–13 he won the Championship title and was Swiss Cup runner up with Basel. In the 2012–13 UEFA Europa League Basel advanced as far as the semi-finals, there being matched against the reigning UEFA Champions League holders Chelsea, but they were knocked out, losing both home and away ties, beaten 2-5 on aggregate. At the end of the Swiss Super League season 2013–14 he again won the Championship title and was Swiss Cup silver medal winner for the second time. During this period, as third Basel goalkeeper, he played regularly in their U-21 team and in some test games but never a league match.
On 19 May 2014 Basel announced that they were loaning out Salvi to Biel in the Swiss Challenge League, so that he could gain first-team experience in an environment somewhat more competitive than with the Reserves in the 1. Liga Promotion. He became their starting goalie and played his Challenge League debut in the Stade de Genève on 20 July 2014 in the 1-2 away defeat against Servette. After one year loan, in which he played 35 of the possible 36 Challenge League games, he returned to Basel as their first team third goalkeeper.
Salvi made his professional debut for Basel in the closing match of the 2015–16 UEFA Europa League group stage against Lech Poznań on 10 December 2015. He came on as a substitute just before half-time to replace injured Germano Vailati during the 1–0 away victory.
Salvi made diverse appearances for the Switzerland U-15 and U-16 national teams. He played his debut for their U-17 team in the 1-0 away defeat against the Belgium U-17 team on 26 August 2010. He played his debut for their U-18 team in the 2-0 away win against Estonia U-18 on 1 September 2011.
Titles and Honours
- Swiss Champion at U-16 level: 2009–10
- Swiss Super League champion: 2012–13, 2013–14
- Swiss Cup runner up: 2012–13, 2013–14
- Marti, Caspar (2010). "U16: Der FCB gewinnt den letzten Final der Saison!" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2010-06-12.
- FC Basel 1893 (2012). "Personalnews zu Ajeti, Grether, Salvi und Tembo" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Schifferle, Michael (2013). "Season review: Switzerland". Eufa. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- SFV (2013). "Telegramm Schweizer Cup Final" (in German). Schweizerischer Fussballverband. Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- Haylett, Trevor (2013). "Basel take heart after Chelsea defeat". Eufa. Retrieved 2013-05-03.
- FC Basel 1893 (2014). "Salvi leihweise zu Biel, Seferagic definitiv zu Schaffhausen" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- EUFA.com (2015). "Samuel reaches century as Basel beat Lech". EUFA.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- SFV (2014). "Telegram U-21". SFV. Retrieved 2014-11-14.