Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shakti Soundar Rajan|
|Produced by||S. Michael Rayappan|
|Written by||Shakti Soundar Rajan|
|Music by||D. Imman|
|Edited by||K. J. Venkat Ramanan|
|Distributed by||Ayngaran International Media|
|19 February 2016 (Tamil) 03 June 2016 (Telugu)|
|Box office||₹50 Crore|
Miruthan (English: Manimal/Zombie) is a 2016 Indian Tamil language action zombie film written and directed by Shakti Soundar Rajan and starring Jayam Ravi and Lakshmi Menon in the leading roles. This film, which was promoted as the first South Indian zombie film, was released on 19 February 2016. Rajan has since announced an intention to film a sequel in 2018. The film opened to mixed reviews, but became a super hit. The film was also dubbed in Telugu as Yamapaksha and in Hindi as Daring Rakhwala, the latter being a television release on Zee Cinema.
The opening scene shows a container of poisonous liquid being spilled from a transport vehicle at a chemical laboratory in Ooty. A stray dog consumes it and turns violent, which then bites a security guard. The security guard turns into a zombie within hours and starts a chain of human infections via bites.
Back to the present, Karthik (Jayam Ravi) is a traffic police officer in Ooty who avoids all kinds of dangers as he takes care of his younger sister Vidhya (Anikha Surendran), who is in her early teens. Both are orphans but live with Karthik's comic friend Chinnamalai (Kaali Venkat), a traffic police constable. Karthik is in love with a cardiology doctor named Renuka aka Renu (Lakshmi Menon), but never proposes in all their meetings. Renu is engaged and is about to get married to an NRI named Naveen (Amit Bhargav), who is also a cardiologist. Meanwhile, Vidhya goes missing. At the same time, the police of Ooty are informed of the outbreak and get orders to shoot anyone who has turned into a zombie. Karthik is looking for Vidhya, while killing some zombies. He receives a call in which he is told to arrive at a place to find his sister. There, he finds Renu and her group of doctors, including the chief doctor Dharan (Jeeva Ravi), all working on finding a vaccine to cure all of the zombies. Karthik also finds Vidhya at Renu's house and later comes to know that the doctors are trapped inside the house, which is invaded by zombies.
Escorted by Karthik, the team comprising Dharan, Renu, another doctor Kamal (Raghavan Durairaj), Renu's father Minister Gurumoorthy (R. N. R. Manohar), Chinnamalai, and Vidhya, the group heads to Kovai aka (Coimbatore), where they are to use medical equipment to find a cure to the tragedy. But Dharan was already bitten by a zombie, despite not getting infected immediately as he had a very small wound. He doesn't reveal this to anyone, fearing for his safety. When they near Mettuplayam, they were shocked to see that the zombies have spread in Coimbatore. The zombies crowd around in the police van, so Karthik is forced to rash-drive the van to kill the zombies one by one.
Later, Gurumoorthy unknowingly disturbs some zombies and Karthik ended up having to shoot them. Then, they all are forced to take shelter in a mall, opposite to the hospital. Meanwhile, Naveen is inside the hospital trying to find the vaccine. They get ahold of Shri (Sriman) a frightened security guard of the mall.
After a few hours, Dharan turns into a zombie and attacks Vidhya. Karthik kills Dharan with his gun, but Vidhya does not turn into a zombie despite the fact that she was attacked almost an hour ago. Kamal says that she will be able to help them in finding the vaccine as she has the required antibodies and immunity. Karthik had to escort them to the hospital, which faces the mall. For this, he uses pressurized water from the mall's fire truck, knowing that they are allergic to water. Despite the reduced time, Karthik manages to bring everyone safely to the hospital except Renu. He goes back to the mall to bring Renu, but he does that without any water source. So he leads Renu to the hospital but is attacked by the zombies while escorting her. He himself slowly turns into a zombie, but he safely escorts her to the hospital before his human feelings lose and also advises Renu to shoot him. But she is too adamant to know the reason why he had saved her, despite the uncaring Naveen's attempts and the timid Gurumoorthy, and realizes his love for her, but Karthik turns into a zombie, thus Renu shoots him.
The doctors find the required antidote and start dealing the virus, converting the zombies back to humans. Later, Karthik, now completely a zombie, is seen on top of a bus which is going to Chennai, implying that Renu did not shoot Karthik properly and hence he has survived the attack.
- Jayam Ravi as Traffic Sub-Inspector Karthik (Miruthan), a police officer who loves Dr. Renuka and his sister Vidhya. One day, he is assigned to kill the citizens of Ooty who have turned into the zombies due to infectious bites. But at last, he himself is attacked by the zombies and gets killed by Renuka.
- Lakshmi Menon as Dr. Renuka, Karthik's love interest and Dr. Naveen's the would-be. She always thinks bad about Karthik, but after she kills him as he has become a zombie, she realises about his good nature and his true love for her, and hence feels sorry for him.
- Sriman as Shri, the frightened mall security who escorts the main characters to the shopping area. He is the main comedian.
- R. N. R. Manohar as Minister Guru Moorthy, who is brave towards innocents but is timid towards zombies. He, in short, is indeed a sadist.
- Kaali Venkat as Constable Chinnamalai, Karthik's best friend who helps him in saving his sister from the zombies. He is the main relief by giving comedies.
- Anikha Surendran as Vidhya, Karthik's only sister who is attacked by Dr. Dharan after he becomes a zombie, but she survives the attack because she has the immunity power which later helps the other doctors to find the vaccine.
- Jeeva Ravi as Chief Dr. Dharan, who later turns into a zombie due to an attack and attacks Vidhya, but gets killed by Karthik.
- Crane Manohar as Wedding Broker. He suggests Karthik to marry some Chennai-based girls.
- Amit Bhargav as Dr. Naveen, Renuka's would-be who is also a sadist.
- Nellai Siva as Gurumoorthy's henchman & comedian
- Raghavan Durairaj as Assistant Dr. Kamal. He suggests to Karthik that Vidhya is their saviour. He successfully finds the vaccine antibody through her.
The film was announced on 14 January 2015, after the shooting of Ravi's another project of the year, Romeo Juliet was completed. Filming began in March 2015, after Jayam Ravi accepted an offer from Shakti Soundar Rajan to feature in a film produced by Michael Rayappan. Lakshmi Menon subsequently joined the team to portray the film's heroine. The team shot for thirty days in Ooty in May 2015, before returning to Chennai to complete portions. In July 2015, a schedule was held at Binny Mills, where the art direction team had erected a set costing 1.5 crore rupees. As of January 2016, the filming was completely ended.
|Miruthan / Yamapasham|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||19 January 2016 (Tamil) 08 March 2016 (Telugu)|
|Studio||Vijaya Vahini Studio, Chennai.|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|D. Imman chronology|
D. Imman composed the soundtrack for both the Tamil and the Telugu versions respectively, with durations overlapping.
|1.||"Munnal Kadhali / Hey Naa Preyasi"||Madhan Karky||Vishal Dadlani, Sharanya Gopinath|
|2.||"Bitten by Insanity (Theme)"||D. Imman|
|3.||"Veri Veri Veri / Kasi Kasi Kasi"||Madhan Karky||Suraj Jagan, Maria Kavita Thomas|
|4.||"Mirutha Mirutha / Yevaro Yevaro"||Madhan Karky||Shreya Ghoshal, Vijay Yesudas|
|5.||"Horrifying Zombies (Theme)"||D. Imman|
|6.||"Munnal Kadhali (Reprise) / Hey Naa Preyasi (Reprise)"||Madhan Karky||Haricharan|
|7.||"Munnal Kadhali / Hey Naa Preyasi (Karaoke version)"|
|8.||"Mirudha Mirudha / Yevaro Yevaro (Karaoke version)"|
The satellite rights of the film were sold to Sun TV.Sudhir Srinivasan of The Hindu said that Miruthan was an inconsistent ‘zombie’ film with excessive melodrama. Latha Srinivasan of dna gave 1.75 stars and said "The zombies of Hollywood won't do a far better job of entertaining you than Miruthan. Times of India gave 1.5/5 and wrote "Like, you want to praise the makers for trying something different — the first zombie film in Tamil cinema, in this case — but immediately, you are worst with another thought: 'Did the first zombie film in Tamil have to be this clumsy and unexciting?Behindwoods gave the film 2.75/5 and stated "For audiences who have seen Hollywood zombie films, Miruthan would be an old experience. And kudos definitely to Shakthi Sounder Rajan for attempting something different from the usual themes that Tamil cinema is known to churn out film after film." Film critic Sreedhar Pillai expressed via Twitter that the "interval creates impression (that the) 1st half (is) worst than 2nd half" while the climax was "long drawn out", giving the film a 0.5/5. IndiaGlitz.com rated the film 1.3/5 and stated " Miruthan- Sores a lot and little else
- "MIRUTHAN (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 16 February 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- Avinash Pandian (3 September 2015). "From Mithran To Miruthan". Behindwoods. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Jayam Ravi on a signing spree". Sify. 21 March 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- Radhika C Pillai (22 April 2015). "Lakshmi Menon's next is with Jayam Ravi". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Jayam Ravi's next is Miruthan!". Sify. 3 September 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- Kaushik L M (15 October 2015). "Kabali and Mirudhan share the same spot..." Behindwoods. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- Miruthan review: An inconsistent ‘zombie’ film with excessive melodrama. The Hindu (19 February 2016). Retrieved on 2016-04-05.
- 'Miruthan' Review: Jayam Ravi's zombie flick leaves a lot to be desired | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis. Dnaindia.com (2016-02-19). Retrieved on 2016-04-05.
- Miruthan Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (20 February 2016). Retrieved on 2016-04-05.
- Miruthan (aka) Mirudhan review. Behindwoods.com (19 February 2016). Retrieved on 2016-04-05.
- "Miruthan review. Miruthan Tamil movie review, story, rating — IndiaGlitz.com". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- staff (9 March 2016). "Jayam Ravi teams up with Shakti, again". Times of India. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- staff (9 March 2016). "Shakti Soundar Rajan reveals when he will start 'Miruthan 2'". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 4 May 2016.