Mirza Mehboob Beg
Mehboob Beg Mirza (born 4 September 1949 Sarnal, Anantnag district) is an Indian politician. He serves as Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) party chief Spokesperson previously belonging to Jammu & Kashmir National Conference.
He is the son of the stalwart Mirza Mohammad Afzal Beg, the former dy.CM[clarification needed] of J&K and the first Kashmiri Muslim cabinet minister.He is a medical practitioner and studied MBBS from Srinagar Medical College and resides at Srinagar.
A former minister and former parliamentarian, Dr Beg entered state politics in the 1990s. He was a member of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly for two terms during 1983-1987 and 2002–2008. From March 2009 to May 2009, he was a member of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council. He is known for changing parties, which he has done a dozen times.
On 16 November 2014, Beigh announced his support to Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, patron of the PDP. He also decided to withdraw his candidature for 2014 Assembly elections from Anantnag constituency and instead campaign for Sayeed. In the 2009 election he was elected to the 15th Lok Sabha from the Anantnag Lok Sabha constituency of Jammu & Kashmir. On 16 November, Mehboob Beg switched to PDP saying that he would campaign ‘door-to-door’ for PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed during the forthcoming assembly polls in J&K.
He served in the Cabinet. He is known for creating jobs in South Kashmir. He served on many Parliamentary Committees and won various awards including best legislator. He pulled off a victory in the Parliamentary polls despite 12 out of 16 assembly seats held by the opposition PDP. The PDP appointed him Chief Spokesperson.
- "Panchayat elections in J&K heat up". DNA India. 27 September 2005.
- "Major setback to National Conference: Mehboob Beigh announces support to Mufti Sayeed". 16 November 2014.
- "Page Not Found". eciresults.nic.in.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 2 February 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India : Latest news, India, Punjab, Chandigarh, Haryana, Himachal, Uttarakhand, J&K, sports, cricket". www.tribuneindia.com.
- "Shopian killings: Mirza Mehboob Beg demands immediate probe". Firstpost.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 March 2014. Retrieved 28 February 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Fifteenth Lok Sabha Members Bioprofile in Lok Sahba website