|Compilation album by They Might Be Giants|
|Released||October 8, 1991|
|Studio||Studio Pass, Dubway Studio, New York City, Charles Eller Studio, Charlotte, VT, Hello Studios, Lynchburg, Virginia|
|Label||Restless / Bar/None|
|Producer||Bill Krauss, They Might Be Giants|
|They Might Be Giants chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Miscellaneous T is a b-side and remix compilation album released by the alternative rock band They Might Be Giants in 1991. It is a US re-release of Don't Let's Start (which was only released in the UK and West Germany), with different cover art, track order, and the additional song "Hello Radio".
The album consists of all of the B-sides from the singles the band released between 1987 and 1989 (except "Ana Ng"), with the addition of the relatively new songs "The World's Address (Joshua Fried Remix)"—released beforehand only on Don't Let's Start—and "Hello Radio", which was previously released on a promotional sampler.
All of the songs, with the exception of "(She Was A) Hotel Detective (Single Mix)", went on to be included in Then: The Earlier Years, a compilation of the band's early material.
Miscellaneous T is said to be named for the section in record stores where They Might Be Giants' albums were most often shelved in the band's early years.
The tracks are grouped according to the singles they originally appeared with:
- 1–3: "Purple Toupee" (unreleased)
- 5–7: "They'll Need a Crane"
- 9–14: "(She Was A) Hotel Detective"
- 15–18: "Don't Let's Start"
The 13th track, which has no name listed on the album's track listing, is not actually a song, but a snippet of a recording inadvertently left on the TMBG Dial-A-Song answering machine, in which a confused listener named Gloria talks to an unknown third party about the mystery of "There May Be Giants" and "There Must Be Giants", as she mistakenly refers to the band. It would later be referenced when Bryant Gumbel referred to them as "They Must Be Giants" when they performed "Your Racist Friend" on the Today Show to promote the release of Flood.
All songs by They Might Be Giants unless otherwise noted.
- Side one
- "Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal" – 3:48
- "Lady Is a Tramp" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) – 1:20
- "Birds Fly" – 1:25
- "The World's Address" [Joshua Fried Remix] – 5:42
- "Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" – 1:59
- "I'll Sink Manhattan" – 2:32
- "It's Not My Birthday" – 1:52
- "Hello Radio" - 0:56
- "Mr. Klaw" – 1:19
- Side two
- "Kiss Me, Son of God" [Alternate Version] – 1:52
- "The Biggest One" – 1:22
- "For Science" – 1:19
- "Untitled" – 2:33
- "(She Was a) Hotel Detective" [Single Mix] – 2:20
- "The Famous Polka" – 1:33
- "When It Rains It Snows" – 1:33
- "We're the Replacements" – 1:50
- "Don't Let's Start" [Single Mix] – 2:34
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Miscellaneous T at AllMusic. Retrieved 28 June 2006.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: They Might Be Giants". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- Brackett, Nathan; Christian Hoard (2004). The Rolling Stone Album Guide. New York City, New York: Simon and Schuster. p. 808. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- Then: The Earlier Years liner notes.
- Miscellaneous T page at This Might Be A Wiki