This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||The Most Beautiful Woman of Angola|
|Ana Paula Lemos dos Santos|
Miss Angola is Angola's national pageant, which was founded in 1997; the winner competes in Miss Universe, Miss World and in Miss Earth starting 2017. Angola has competed at Miss Universe since 1998 and has had two top fifteen placements (2003 and 2004), a top ten placement (2007) and a Miss Universe in 2011,with Leila Lopes. It has had great success in Miss World as well, with three straight top 5/6 finishes from 2006-8: a first runner-up position with Micaela Reis (and Queen of Africa) in 2007 and a third runner-up (and Queen of Africa) with Brigith dos Santos in 2008, and a top 6 (and Queen of Africa) finish with Stiviandra Oliveira in 2006.
*Began 2013 Miss Angola only sends its winner to Miss Universe.
Miss Universe 2011
On September 12, 2011, Leila Lopes (Miss Angola 2010) was crowned Miss Universe in São Paulo, Brazil, receiving the title from the former Miss Universe Ximena Navarrete of Mexico. She is currently the 60th Miss Universe titleholder, and is the first Angolan woman to hold the position. Lopes is the seventh woman of African descent to win the title since the beginning of the worldwide pageant (following Miss Trinidad and Tobago in 1977, Miss South Africa in 1978, Miss Namibia in 1992, Miss USA in 1995, Miss Trinidad and Tobago 1998, and Miss Botswana in 1999) and the fourth African woman from the African continent to win following Mpule Kwelagobe, Miss Universe 1999 from Botswana. Lopes also became the first woman from Angola to win a "Big Four" beauty pageant.
|1999-2000||Karine Eunice da Cunha Manita||Luanda|
|2000-2001||Hidianeth Luisa Cussema||Bie|
|2001-2002||Geovana Pinto Leite||Benguela|
|2002-2003||Ana José Sebastião||Luanda|
|2003-2004||Telma de Jesus Sonhi||Lunda Sul|
|2015-2016||Luísa Baptista||Cuando Cubango|
|2017-2018||Ana Liliana Avião||Luanda|
Big Four pageants
- Color key
- Declared as Winner
- Ended as runner-up
- Ended as one of the finalists or semifinalists
Miss Universe Angola
The winner of Miss Angola represents her country at Miss Universe. On occasion, when the winner does not qualify (due to age) for either contest, a runner-up is sent.
In 2006, Miss Angola 2005 did not compete at Miss Universe, due to minimum age recruitment, the 1st Runner-up took the title for replacing her at the pageant.
In 2006-2007, Miss Angola winners also competed at Miss World pageant.
|Year||Miss Angola||Province||Placement||Special Awards|
|2000||Eunice da Cunha Manita||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2001||Hidianeth Luisa Cussema||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2002||Geovana Pinto Leite||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2003||Ana José Sebastião||Luanda||Top 15|
|2004||Telma de Jesus Sonhi||Lunda Sul||Top 15|
|2007||Micaela Reis||Luanda||Top 10|
|2011||Leila Lopes||Benguela||Miss Universe 2011|
|2015||Whitney Shikongo||Huíla||Unplaced||Miss Congeniality|
|2016||Luísa Baptista||Cuando Cubango||Unplaced|
|2018||Ana Liliana Avião||Luanda||Unplaced|
Miss World Angola
As of 2012, Comite Miss Angola has created a separate pageant called "Miss Angola Mundo" to select its representative for Miss World 2013. The pageant was held for the first time on August 24, 2012, in Luanda and the winner was Maria Castelo who represented Angola in Miss World 2013 in Indonesia on September 28, 2013.
In 2017 Miss Angola is no longer holding Miss World franchise. The new franchise of Miss World Angola has held the contest of Miss Mundo Angola competition. The Miss World Angola is in under Miss CPLP Angola Organisation.
|Year||Miss World Angola||Province||Placement||Special Awards|
|1998||Maria Cortez de Lemos||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2000||Deolinda Manuel Vilela||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2001||Alexandra Da Rocha||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2002||Rosa Mujinga Muxito||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2003||Celma Antunes Carlos||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2004||Silvia João de Deus||Luanda||Unplaced|
|2006||Stiviandra Oliveira||Huíla||Top 6|
|2007||Micaela Reis||Uíge||1st Runner-up|
|2008||Birgite dos Santos||Luanda||Top 5|
Angola at major beauty pageants
This is a list of Angola's representatives and their placements at the Big Four international beauty pageants, considered the most important in the world. The country has won one of the four beauty pageants:
The criteria for the Big Four inclusion is based on specific standards such as the pageants global prominence and prestige approved by worldwide media, the quality and quantity of crowned delegates recognized by international franchisees and pageant aficionados, the winner's post pageant activities; the pageants longevity, consistency, and history; the sincerity of the pageant's specific cause, platform, and advocacy; the overall pre-pageant activities, production quality and global telecast; the enormity of internet traffic; and the extent of popularity amongst pageant fans across the globe.
- Color key
- Ended as Runner-up
- Ended as one of the Finalists or Top 10
- Ended as one of the Semi-finalists
|YEAR||MISS UNIVERSE||MISS WORLD||MISS INTERNATIONAL||MISS EARTH|
|2018||Ana Liliana Avião||Nelma Ferreira||×||×|
|2017||Lauriela Martins||Judelsia Bache||×||Ermelinda de Matos dos Reis|
|2013||Vaumara Rebelo||Maria Castelo||×||×|
|2012||Marcelina Vahekeni||Edmilza Santos||×||×|
|2010||Jurema Ferraz||Ivanita Jones||×||×|
|2009||Nelsa Alves||Nadia Silva||×||×|
|2008||Lesliana Pereira||Birgite dos Santos
|2006||Isménia Júnior||Stiviandra Oliveira
|2004||Telma de Jesus Sonhi
|Silvia João de Deus||Telma de Jesus Sonhi||×|
|2003||Ana José Sebastião
|Celma Antunes Carlos||×||×|
|2002||Geovana Pinto Leite||Rosa Mujinga Muxito||×||×|
|2001||Hidianeth Luisa Cussema||Alexandra Da Rocha||×||×|
|2000||Eunice da Cunha Manita||Deolinda Manuel Vilela||×||↑ No Pageant Held|
(established in 2001 in Manila, Philippines)
|1999||Egídia Torres||Lorena Silva||×|
|1998||Emília Guardado||Maria Cortez de Lemos||×|
× Did not compete
↑ No pageant held
|Name of Pageant||Placements||Best Result|
|Miss Universe||4||Winner (2011)|
|Miss World||3||1st Runner-up (2007)|
|Miss Earth||1||Top 16 (2017)|
- Elliott, Christopher (September 14, 2011). "Miss Universe 2011 pageant crowns Miss Angola, Leila Lopes". The Washington Post. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- Miss Angola Leila Lopes is Miss Universe 2011! retrieved September 12, 2011
- "Miss Angola Leila Lopes named Miss Universe at 60th annual pageant in Brazil". Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "Angolan Leila Lopes Is The Fourth African To Win Miss Universe". Shadders. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- "2004 Miss International beauty pageant". Life. September 30, 2004. Retrieved March 3, 2011.
- "Jurema Ferraz: Depois de Angola o Universo". O País. July 15, 2010. Retrieved March 3, 2011.
- "Leila Lopes crowned Miss Angola 2011". Angola Press Agency. December 18, 2010. Retrieved December 18, 2010.
- "Miss World Angola 2017". Globalbeauties. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- "Nelma Ferreira wins Miss World Angola 2018". thegreatpageantcommunity. 25 September 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 21, 2014. Retrieved October 16, 2016.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- International Beauty Pageant Ranking
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 14, 2014. Retrieved October 14, 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Miss Universe country participation lists.
- Miss World country participation lists.
- Miss International country participation lists.
- Miss Earth country participation lists.